Thread: Question on Max Torque Timing table.

Tuner in Training

Question on Max Torque Timing table.

Hello,

I have a question on the timing.

20170824_143926.png

It is from a supercharger maker. Max Torque Timing. Can I assume it as MBT?

and one more thing is

What if my timing is over max torque timing?
    for example, 1.28g as Cylinder Airmass at 6000RPM , what if I have 25* without any knocks? The power is going down?
    Last edited by shinysun; 08-24-2017 at 01:10 AM.

Tuning Addict
    I haven't done the study myself as I can not confirm any of this, but a tuner/engineer in Germany "I think - don't recall 100%" took apart the coding and experimented with it - max torque timing is somehow used for transient fueling and a couple of other things that I also don't remember... It's not mbt like people think and it's not referenced or used by the torque controls for timing in any way - or at least it wasn't on the fourth gens that he tested it all on... I really don't even know how it's calculated out to use for transients, so add a touch and smooth it out if need be - haven't had any issues... May be talking out my arse on this one as I haven't done any of the testing or even know how you could 100%? BUT I do know on the 4th gens that it is indeed not used by the torque model to add, take away or limit timing in any way through what testing I could do...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    I haven't done the study myself as I can not confirm any of this, but a tuner/engineer in Germany "I think - don't recall 100%" took apart the coding and experimented with it - max torque timing is somehow used for transient fueling and a couple of other things that I also don't remember... It's not mbt like people think and it's not referenced or used by the torque controls for timing in any way - or at least it wasn't on the fourth gens that he tested it all on... I really don't even know how it's calculated out to use for transients, so add a touch and smooth it out if need be - haven't had any issues... May be talking out my arse on this one as I haven't done any of the testing or even know how you could 100%? BUT I do know on the 4th gens that it is indeed not used by the torque model to add, take away or limit timing in any way through what testing I could do...
    I also read that thread and that is what I remember from it also. I have set my MTT table to all 0's and also to all 65's and experienced literally no change in the way the car drove or performed.

At some point a few years ago I think I did experience a more accurate reported torque value in the scanner by making MTT match my Main Spark table but it didn't change the car itself.

Senior Tuner
    the listed max torque timing has more influence on fueling than anything else. you can run well past it and the ecm will not pull it back as an end all be all final number.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you for the advises.

Then, the more timing before knocking, the more power anyway?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by shinysun View Post
    Thank you for the advises.

Then, the more timing before knocking, the more power anyway?
    more timing does not equal more power in most cases.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

On the Gen V DI motor, more timing until knock occurs, could be down a bit under peak power. With 11.5 to 1 compression and the Gen V DI timing, they seem to go a bit past best timing power before they knock. I have seen a few graphs of dyno pulls on engine dyno's, where the power drops off as timing advances.

Your best bet is to get it on a Chassis Dyno to see where max power timing is.
    Last edited by Robert C Morgillo; 08-29-2017 at 06:41 AM.