Thread: 4l80e reducing idle line pressure (stalling)

Tuner in Training

4l80e reducing idle line pressure (stalling)

Hey guys, I have a 4l80e with a 3600 stall converter with 373 gears and a 228r cam.
    Well here is the problem , the car stalls while going in reverse . If feels like I'm hitting a wall when I go from drive to reverse and stalls .. specially if I drove it around. From what I've read I need to reduce the line pressure while I'm transsioning from park to drive and drive to reverse etc... any clue how I can do that with hptuners ? My os is 1252069

Senior Tuner
    Might look first at the desired airflow tables for trans
    in gear, I believe I've seen different R than D/OD fields
    and maybe these have not been properly updated?

I would not think that trans pump load adds up to
    enough to make a difference, but maybe if something
    else (like idle mixture, idle advance and idle airflow)
    are marginal.

What happens when you go from R to D? n

Do you see different force motor current readings
    in R, than D now?

Tuner in Training
    No it stays about the same .. we have tried everything it's definitely the trans .. the current remains the same well it reads 30% maybe I have the wrong channel .. but I need to lower the pressure on idle from drive to reverse or park to drive but the only option I see on hptuners is to reduce the overall pressure or the pressure while shifting gears but nothing in the park drive area .. I've tried dropping the torque values below 1200 rpm and reverse to even 10 and it made no difference

Senior Tuner
    post the tune. i bet its not a pressure issue.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Tuner in Training
    Ok let me figure out how to attach the file lol

Side note, your MAF dtc's must be on first error for speed density tuning.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Maybe this is relevant after reading a bunch here... the ECM came from a 2007 express van with a 4.3 v6... The last tuner I had had a file from a 6.0 with a 4l80e and I license it and wrote it on the ECM. I wonder if the ecm thinks it has a different transmission.

Senior Tuner
    Put all of the adaptives back to stock. {idle and airflow} take the stock RAF and double it as a base to get started. Set the base timing for in drive at 18 in the idle area's, same with in park. Match that area in the HO/LO timing tables. Set the TPS voltage at .62, and the reset them. Take the stock IAC tables and copy them, then highlight from the "8" position and up to the 310 mark. hit paste. There is a lot of things fighting it in that one tab. Set the adaptives back to stock in the idle tab as well. Tweak from there.

This will get a hell of a lot closer then shooting the dark which is what looks like is going on with this one so far.

Tuner in Training
    I'll try it ...one thing I'm not sure ... the tps is set at .51 and it won't reset to 0 only to .4%. if I go under .51 it would reset to 0 ... now if I try .61 like you suggested the throttle blade would read higher then .4% ..is that ok?
    Second you think this settings would be causing the transmission to hit like a rock in reverse?

Tuner in Training

update

Ok I tried what you suggested , it did it 30% less but as tranny fluid gets hot it does it more,
    - IAC counts when down to 0 at P/N
    - my Vacuum when from 12 to 5
    - doesn't seem smooth , but here is the tune and the data log .
    8 - 26 1st data.hplozzie hp tuner sugestions.hpt

Senior Tuner
    whats the tps voltage at idle?