Thread: Help!...Code Modifications... How to get them to work?

Help!...Code Modifications... How to get them to work?

Short version... was using V3.4 & thought the code modifications were working based on being able to see some SCI parameters. Looked at others log files and there are parameters in there that I dont have access to. Both my truck & the log file I was looking at are both 2005's.

I opened a help desk ticket on this issue but with it being friday, I wont hear back till most likely late monday. I opened up the ticket for this issue with V3.6, was trying to get it to work correctly so I can make the switch. Thats when the code mod was not coming up which led me to backtrack to 3.4 and look at it. Now I see it was not working there either.

Any info would be appreciated... would really like to get this back on track.

Questions...

1) When applying the code mod, can this be done at any time after the base file has been generated?
    2) Whats the process for getting it implmented?

Here is what I know...

Instructions say,
    1) Click OS icon
    2) Click apply code modification
    Then, popup...
    1) Save the file with a new name
    2) Close current file
    3) Open the new file
    4) Use the Write Entire process only on the first write.

Their instructions for verifying the code mod is in place:
    Concerning your question about how to know if a code modification is in the file being downloaded, open the file in VCM Editor, Click on "Edit", on the drop down menu select "Calibration Details". This will open a new window labeled "Tune Details". Click on the middle tab labeled "Controllers". You will see the operating system and any modifications on this screen.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by steve05ram360 View Post
    Short version... was using V3.4 & thought the code modifications were working based on being able to see some SCI parameters. Looked at others log files and there are parameters in there that I dont have access to. Both my truck & the log file I was looking at are both 2005's.

I opened a help desk ticket on this issue but with it being friday, I wont hear back till most likely late monday. I opened up the ticket for this issue with V3.6, was trying to get it to work correctly so I can make the switch. Thats when the code mod was not coming up which led me to backtrack to 3.4 and look at it. Now I see it was not working there either.

Any info would be appreciated... would really like to get this back on track.

Questions...

1) When applying the code mod, can this be done at any time after the base file has been generated?
    2) Whats the process for getting it implmented?

Here is what I know...

Instructions say,
    1) Click OS icon
    2) Click apply code modification
    Then, popup...
    1) Save the file with a new name
    2) Close current file
    3) Open the new file
    4) Use the Write Entire process only on the first write.

Their instructions for verifying the code mod is in place:
    Concerning your question about how to know if a code modification is in the file being downloaded, open the file in VCM Editor, Click on "Edit", on the drop down menu select "Calibration Details". This will open a new window labeled "Tune Details". Click on the middle tab labeled "Controllers". You will see the operating system and any modifications on this screen.
    For what it's worth, I don't see anything in the "Controllers" tab that indicates that I have any code modification, but I do have SCI parameters that I am able to log on my truck.

What parameters do you feel you are missing?

Awesome! An expert... ! (thanks for monitoring!)

Pre & post timing to start... I had just made a 3rd attempt to get going with v3.6 and found I had no SCI channels to monitor so I opened a ticket. Figured I would have this resolved before the weekend but nope. Took a step back to v3.4 to look for the code mods in the window HPT support said to look at and nothing there. Happened to download another 2005 truck log file and saw pre & post timing. Pretty sure those channels are not there for me otherwise I'd been logging them while test & tuning.

Advanced Tuner
    Awesome! An expert... ! (thanks for monitoring!)

Pre & post timing to start... I had just made a 3rd attempt to get going with v3.6 and found I had no SCI channels to monitor so I opened a ticket. Figured I would have this resolved before the weekend but nope. Took a step back to v3.4 to look for the code mods in the window HPT support said to look at and nothing there. Happened to download another 2005 truck log file and saw pre & post timing. Pretty sure those channels are not there for me otherwise I'd been logging them while test & tuning.
    Well, I know that I haven't been able to log pilot injection timing for a very long time. At some point in the early Beta stages of Cummins tuning, and for a few versions after that (during v3.0.x, if memory serves), it was available and I could log it. But not anymore.

If you look through your available logging parameters and notice that you have duplicate parameters available for logging (for example, Engine Speed (SAE) vs Engine Speed - without the "SAE" in parenthasis), then that should be and indicator that the code modification has been applied.

Advanced Tuner
    I just went back into my archives of logs, and I found the last log I have that was able to log pilot injection timing, and it was back in February of 2016. I then have a log from March of 2016 where pilot timing was no longer able to be logged. So, something got updated in the scanner that broke pilot timing logging capabilities, and I know it's been mentioned multiple times in this forum by more than a few people, but noone ever mentioned finding out if it was intentionally removed, or if it was a bug. Might be something to dig further into.

OK yeah the pilot & post timing can be useful IMO. I just took a look at what was available from the truck, and no pilot & post timing, also noticed that the SAE parameters are not showing up.

I still have the installers from way back and am wondering if it would be useful to get the older setup running to see if those are available. I am pretty sure I recall that the tunes are not backward compatible, so the goal would be to see if the scanner could be run alongside the newer version just to see if its there and if it is useful. From what I read those channels should still be there, just the scan tool is not requesting those channels.

Thanks for looking at the old log files, will have to go back and look at what else was in that log file that had pre & post timing...
    Last edited by steve05ram360; 08-25-2017 at 10:59 PM.

took a look at that file and it was back in Feb, 2016.

OK with all that said... now all I need to do is get V3.6 re-loaded and the code mod channels working. They work fine with 3.4. If 3.4 did not have issues I'd just stick with it but the biggest issue I see is what table is being accessed... its unclear and appears to me that its blending the transient & high air dens tables.

Tuner in Training
    I can't figure this out either, and just found your thread; have you figured out what was going on? I have a 2007 5.9, which appears to be different from your 2005 problems. Either way I can't log much. See my post on this forum here: https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...lot-timing-etc
    Last edited by super_kev; 02-16-2018 at 08:14 PM.

Yes, stayed with v3.4 until upgrading to the beta v3.7 everything works with v3.7 however the scanner is missing pre & post timing channels.

Tuner in Training
    Yes, stayed with v3.4 until upgrading to the beta v3.7 everything works with v3.7 however the scanner is missing pre & post timing channels.
    Hmm, still missing timing, which is the most important. So stupid, but hopefully they will fix it, though I see their official releases are usually a year or so apart. Well, how does one grab the beta? Where can I find it?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by super_kev View Post
    Hmm, still missing timing, which is the most important. So stupid, but hopefully they will fix it, though I see their official releases are usually a year or so apart. Well, how does one grab the beta? Where can I find it?
    I?m working on a revision of my timing calculator that has pilot added to it, shows a lot of estimated information regarding pilot, could be used to estimate your pilot given rpm and main injection quantity with really close accuracy. Until the VCM shows you all that you are trying to log. I should be done the revision tonight or tomorrow night and can post it up.