Thread: GoPro 5 Black GPS Data

Potential Tuner

GoPro 5 Black GPS Data

Hey Guys,

I had a GoPro 5 Black with GPS and when I try to create a video on RaceRender the GPS Data do not work well, I can't see lap time data for instance. I have to go to Dashware to export GPS Data and then import it on RaceRender to create my videos.
    Am I doing something wrong ? How can I create a video only using RaceRender properly with GoPro 5 Black ?

One last question, could I use someway split timer (sector time) for my race in order to know how I'm going by sector ?

Thank you,
    Thiago

Please send the exported data file (this is the smaller file that RaceRender creates and adds "RR Data" to the end of its name) to me at Info@RaceRender.com, and I can take a look and see what's happening here. In general, RaceRender should automatically recognize most tracks from the GPS data and provide lap timing, or you could also choose your own start/finish point to use for separating laps. I would suspect that there's some issue importing the GPS data in this case. Unfortunately, there is no sector split timing capability at this time, only full laps.

Potential Tuner
    Weston, Data has been sent.
    Thank you

So I'm thinking of upgrading to the new Hero5 Black since it has location capture aka GPS. Will RaceRender handle GPS logging from Hero5 Black properly without the extra step of using Dashware?

Potential Tuner
    Yes, it does very well.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by janvangastel View Post
    Yes, it does very well.
    I'm sorry but it does NOT work well with raw GPS from GoPro Hero 5 Black.

Since the last update, 3.60, my videos has been delayed a few seconds from GPS Data as you can see on link below and I don't know what is happening. Every video has the same behavior.
    https://youtu.be/q77onaUtcJY

Please, could you provide the 3.58 version ?

Thanks
    Last edited by thiagoaugusto; 09-28-2017 at 06:28 PM.

GPS data from the GoPro HERO 5 Black, as well as the new HERO 6 Black (data is nearly identical), should work directly in RaceRender. I will be further exploring the capabilities of the new HERO 6 Black this week, and will adjust the HERO 5/6 support if needed, but so far it's looking really good...

I don't see a direct cause for the video/data timing synchronization issue you've experienced, as the data appears to be good, so it probably is just a simple timing issue. We do sometimes see this with GPS-enabled cameras when the GPS didn't yet have a fix when the video recording was started, so it can often help to power up the camera first before starting the recording (as opposed to starting with it powered off and using the one-button record feature). This may also be improved in the future as support for the GoPro data format is expanded further...

In any case, these video/data sync issues can usually be resolved easily within RaceRender by using the Synchronization Tool. These particular recordings will have the video & data linked by default, so sync'ing or trimming the video input would automatically apply that same change to the data input. What you'd need to do here is just to unlink them, and then you can adjust them individually... You'll automatically be prompted to unlink them if you use the Synchronization Tool on the data input (instead of the video input), and then you could use it on either the video input or the data input individually.

As for your earlier post regarding a lack of lap times, that was simply a case where the first lap had triggered at the very start in pit lane, on a skewed heading, so then subsequent laps didn't seem to match with that. I was able to resolve this by just manually entering a heading of 180 (South), as shown in the attached screenshot...
    Capture.PNG

You can also opt to try 3.5.8 or previous versions here: http://RaceRender.com/RR3/archive/