Thread: LLY tune debate

Tuner in Training

LLY tune debate

Alright, so I have a 13k mile LLY in my 01 3500 (swapped) that I got all stock. Since getting it running and driving, I installed full S&B intake, 3" dp and 4" straight pipe. Transmission also has the same miles. I think it runs ok for what it is right now, and it doesn't blow the slightest bit of smoke. Now that I have hpt, I have been debating trying a small tune until I get 5 tunes. I'm still on the fence about going through with it. First, I know this isn't the most commonly used duramax tool. I have put the scanner on it messing around and it does some weird stuff. Say I disable an injector or raise the idle speed, after removing the commanded function, it doesn't go back to normal operation without clicking out of the program or restarting the truck. I would really hate for something to mess up and brick my ecm. Second, I haven't read on anything diesel yet, so I doubt I would tune it unless I have a direction to go. I wouldn't mind finding something on the repository if I know I can trust it. I'm not looking for crazy hp increase, just something small like 60 a horse. If I can get this to work good, I would rather use 2 credits on here than having to wait and spend 600ish on 5 tunes. Thoughts or suggestions?

Tuner in Training
    Ive got one ill post up here once i get the torque converter like i want it but i took it on a 120 mile trip mix of city, highway, and hills and i averaged 23.8 mpg by the dic. havent checked it by hand yet but it has just a puff of smoke on the bottom end when you nail it but shes pretty clean and strong

Tuner
    does any body has a stock/ tuned ecm file for LLY?

What year lly are you using? I have a stock 04.5 and 05 on hand I can send your way.

Sounds like you're making changes within the scanner's special functions tool, as opposed to actually flashing changes with the editor. Making changes via the scanner will not stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Freakotec View Post
    What year lly are you using? I have a stock 04.5 and 05 on hand I can send your way.
    Freakotec. Could you send stock 05? LLY tune this way?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Freakotec View Post
    Sounds like you're making changes within the scanner's special functions tool, as opposed to actually flashing changes with the editor. Making changes via the scanner will not stick.
    Yes, that was using the scanner controls. I understand that is not a permanent way of doing things. I was saying that it has some bugs. If you disable an injector, it disables it just fine. Except when you re-enable the injector, it shows it's enabled, but the injector is actually still disabled. Same with idle speed. The idle will stay where you left it. Until you restart the truck, I can't remember if you can close the scanner or disconnect and fix it or not.

I did end up getting a tune flashed in and it runs way better than stock. It's nice being able to change things when I want to.

Potential Tuner
    Did you get anywhere?