Thread: Setting up '17+ E92 ECM on a bench

Tuner in Training

Setting up '17+ E92 ECM on a bench

Hey everyone,

I am working to bench tune a new 2017 E92 ECU, I have created a bench harness, managed to get SPS to connect to the module and it appeared to complete its process.

As I plug HPTuners into the setup after flashing it with SPS, it now acknowledges a protocol on the ECM, but while attempting a Read Entire, I am seeing messages I have never seen before.

Its asking to select the Hardware, and the listed modules are completely unrelated:
    -Black Oak 1472K, Ford
    -Black Oak 448K, Ford
    -CM2100 Dodge Cummins 6.7L
    -CM2200 Dodge Cummins 6.7L
    -CM2350 Dodge Cummins 6.7L
    -CM849 Dodge Cummins 5.9L
    -Copperhead 2048K, Ford

Operating system is 12678648. It initially said "No VIN" on it, so I entered the VIN I am working with, but I still do not have a proper Hardware to pick from the drop down menu ?

Has anyone seen anything like this before? VCM Scanner will connect to it on the bench, reads 28 DTC's in the computer, but seems to acknowledge otherwise?

I have read that the ECM will not accept a VIN without being connected to a BCM, so I have since ordered a BCM and am praying the BCM will accept VIN info and then the ECM without having the rest of the modules in the system. (I know the BCM will fail the immobilizer setup and some other self tests)

Thanks!

Replied to your email.
    www.crawford-racing.com
    Home of the original and best selling CR-Fueler plug and play port injection controller kits for all GM Gen V direct injection platforms.

Tuner in Training
    img_20170901_182510_e277d2e5b16b3c8df54fb56c55c564aa988efe6d.jpg

21479785_165434087343724_1402982910125932544_n.jpg

Alright, long story short, I still haven't been able to get this E92A ECM to take on a VIN or be anything that HPTuners can do a read entire on.

I have been using a GM MDI through SPS to try to set the computer up.

First attempt to get the computer to take on a VIN on its own resulted in the original posts outcome.

With a BCM Added, according to the Tech at my dealership I have been working with, he was able to full setup the BCM, and reflash the ECM, however I still could not get a VIN to read back out of it.

What was interesting, was that with the CAN lines setup on my bench box to go from the DLC into the BCM, then BCM to ECM, HPTuners could not find a protocol to talk to the ECM. I figured perhaps the next step was to add in the Serial Data Gateway as I figured that completed the HS CAN setup from the DLC.

The setup is:

DLC -> SDGM -> BCM -> ECM

With the serial data Gateway module added, HPTuners seemed to be able to talk through to the ECM, however I still get hieroglyphs for my VIN rather than the actual VIN that I have been entering through the MDI.

I am somewhat worried the SDGM was not properly setup, and perhaps need to re flash all of the modules again.

According to the GM Service Information scan tool information, the BCM is the only module that reports a full 17 digit VIN. The ECM will only display a count for how many times the VIN has been reprogrammed, and the Human Interface module seems to only reports digits 2-17. I cant see the Human Interface module having any input on the ECM's ability to take on a VIN? I know the new 2017+ Electronics are a whole new ball game, but I figured if the ECM, BCM and SDGM are existing together, the ECM technically would not know its out side of a vehicle?

Initial attempts to flash the ECM only led to it saying it cant be bench tuned, but I never got that message again once I had the BCM connected to it.

This is to use the ECM in a 2005 Mazda RX8 with '17 ATS-V LF4. I do not have access to an ATS-V to flash the ECM, nor access to a used one. I know the ATS-V shares an ECM, BCM and SDGM with an SS/ZL1 Camaro, obviously I cannot use those though as I am using the TT V6 engine.

Im not sure that dropping down to the 2016 E92 ECM would be the answer? I know the 2016 uses a different BCM and does not have a SDGM, but I don't want to buy a 2016 ECM and BCM just to end up in the same position.

ECM: E92A 12674052
    BCM: 13595583
    SDGM: 13599318

Has anyone been successful with any type of bench tuning of the E92A ECM? Pictured is what HPTuners reports to me , and my ghetto rigged bench tuning setup

Here is a 2017 E92A on one of my basic programming bench harnesses, ECM only with no other modules. HP Tuners will poll the VIN stored in the ECM just fine. Have not been able to write a VIN to a blank one on the bench yet though.

Screenshot (38).png
    www.crawford-racing.com
    Home of the original and best selling CR-Fueler plug and play port injection controller kits for all GM Gen V direct injection platforms.

Potential Tuner
    First of all E92 should work by it self without BCM or Gateway. Make sure you are properly terminating the CAN bus and that you are powering E92 properly. I will take a look on mine and get back to you.

Potential Tuner
    Current Process of writing a VIN does not work with simple did write that VCM Scanner does. Here is direction on how to write a VIN on the new controller that doesn't have VIN written. This feedback should go back to HP Tuner as well and they can make changes for next release.

Before running a command to write a VIN it is necessary to do code clear first. During same key cycle subsequently you can rewrite a VIN. Attempting to write a VIN before executing code clear will not work.

Step by Step Process.

1. Connect your scanner to your ECM (same as connect to vehicle)
    2. Go to Diagnostic and Info (yellow engine icon) and select clear codes
    3. Go to Controls and Special Functions (green icon)>>System
    4. Click on Change VIN >> Type in 17 digit VIN and click OK
    5. Your VIN is now written. Key off and let ECM go to sleep.
    6. In the VCM Scanner Disconnect from vehicle.
    7. Key on(power on)>> Connect to vehicle and VIN you wrote will be read from the controller

BTW you don't need that CGM. ECM and BCM are on the same CAN bus therefore no gating happens between the them. Not sure what is the purpose for the BCM in your setup? Your DLC can go directly on that bus but make sure it is 60ohm terminated bus.

Fire your dealership Tech, he has no clue what he is talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajvosa01 View Post
    Current Process of writing a VIN does not work with simple did write that VCM Scanner does. Here is direction on how to write a VIN on the new controller that doesn't have VIN written. This feedback should go back to HP Tuner as well and they can make changes for next release.

Before running a command to write a VIN it is necessary to do code clear first. During same key cycle subsequently you can rewrite a VIN. Attempting to write a VIN before executing code clear will not work.

Step by Step Process.

1. Connect your scanner to your ECM (same as connect to vehicle)
    2. Go to Diagnostic and Info (yellow engine icon) and select clear codes
    3. Go to Controls and Special Functions (green icon)>>System
    4. Click on Change VIN >> Type in 17 digit VIN and click OK
    5. Your VIN is now written. Key off and let ECM go to sleep.
    6. In the VCM Scanner Disconnect from vehicle.
    7. Key on(power on)>> Connect to vehicle and VIN you wrote will be read from the controller

BTW you don't need that CGM. ECM and BCM are on the same CAN bus therefore no gating happens between the them. Not sure what is the purpose for the BCM in your setup? Your DLC can go directly on that bus but make sure it is 60ohm terminated bus.

Fire your dealership Tech, he has no clue what he is talking about.
    I know this is old, but thanks for this

Once the blank VIN is programmed I don't think it will accept another VIN. Did you remove all power after programming the ECM with SPS the first time instead of turning off the "Key"? This will result in the VIN not being saved into memory correctly I think.

I program blank E92's on the bench often with SPS.

-Greg
    2009 Maverick Silver G8 GXP M6 - 586hp
    Engine Mods: TVS 2300 Magnacharger ARH 1 7/8" long tubes with catted x-pipe
    Drivetrain Mods: Ram Dual Disc Clutch
    Suspension Mods: Pedders/Wretched basic drag pack - BMR trailing arms
    Misc Mods: Jamesbiz Catch can - GRRRR8 Heater hose relo kit