Thread: Steering Assist Fault after tuning, 2017 Mustang GT

Tuner

Steering Assist Fault after tuning, 2017 Mustang GT

We just finished dyno tuning a 2017 Roush supercharged Mustang GT and now are getting a "Steering Assist Fault Service Required" message on the driver display that will not seem to clear. It started coming up during the dyno pulls, but I just chalked it up to the ABS/Stability system faults and figured it would clear once we started driving it again, but it hasn't.

I tried doing a write- entire instead of just write-calibration. I also tried returning it to the tune it cam in with (with a write-entire). Neither of those fixed it.

Has anyone else experienced this when using HP or other software to tune these cars? I've done lots of 2015 and 2016 mustangs without problems, but not 2017's yet. Maybe it's a 2017 flashing issue?

Any insight would be appreciated.

ElecTech had a similar issue with an Ecoboost and I sort of copied his wording from the Ecoboost forum for this question, so credit to him for that. But I never saw how he resolved his problem.

Senior Tuner
    I think ElecTech responded to you already, but there are still some faults (not sure if HP Tuner related) that cannot be cleared by most street DTC code readers. I do believe this code does set as part of the traction control system from being strapped to the dyno. Most people pull fuse 62 to shut the entire system down, which I think can help avoid strange codes like this.

Tuner
    I had this several times due to a loose connection of the OBD connector on one or more Pins.
    Solved it by bending all pins a tad so they are now fitting in tight.

Senior Tuner
    Jaime