Thread: Tuning School Beginner.

Tuning School Beginner.

Hello, Just purchased the Tuning Schools Beginners Guide and I'm trying to keep my cool but these books just tell you what to do without actually explaining much. Obviously if I'm buying a beginners book, then I am a beginner. I just finished putting a BTR stage 3 Cam (218/224 113 LSA) in my truck (2011 Chevy Avalanche 5.3 LMG )with the VVT Delete/ AFM/DOD Delete. I have gotten to setback with the books. I tuned my MAF ONLY for partial throttle and now I am at the torque management Section of the books. I zeroed out the BURST KNOCK RETARD vs CYlair Delta table as they recommended. Now the next step is Minimum Final Spark Tqmgt Table. I understand that on my automatic 6l80e the spark advance will drop during WOT at the shift points. The tuning school recommends that you change the entire table to a value that is consistent with your commanded spark advance during WOT. my question is this....As a beginner How am I supposed to know what my commanded spark advance is during WOT. Their example says that if you command spark advanced for WOT at 10 degrees then you would set the MINIMUM FINAL SPARK TQMGT Table to 10 Degrees and that it will provide maximum power through the entire run. My problem is that I am a novice and I have gone step by step in their tuning book and nowhere can I find my Commanded spark advance for WOT. Please, any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Best Regards,
    -T

Your high and low octane tables are the spark tables you would look at. There is no table listed as WOT commanded spark.

The spark advanced used is whatever the table has listed. So it's going by engine rpm and cylinder airmass. You would log both to see where it is landing in the table and you could increase or decrease timing where needed.

I do no agree with putting the min spark advanced at whatever you are commanded in WOT. It's nice to have a torque drop on the shift to help the transmission out. If you where commanding 20-22 degrees of timing and set the minimum to like 10 that would be good. That is how mine is setup anyway.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Thanks so much!

Tuner in Training
    Where did you get The Tuning School Beginner Guide? I am also new to this... I have a 4.8L Gen IV mated to a 4L80E. Strange I know... but I have having tuning issues with both the trans and motor. More concerned with the occasional Random Misfire on Cylinder 1 having trouble diagnosing why it does it and how to fix it. But anyway a Beginners Guide might be helpful.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Motoxrrar; 08-30-2017 at 08:51 PM.

Spent almost 2 Grand and got the guide. Very useful info for beginners but I'm still having trouble. Google the tuning school and you can get more Info

Tuner in Training
    Another option is to contact The Tuning School since you now have a full year of support.

Doing that as well...just thought I'd pick as many brains as possible...thats all

Senior Tuner
    contact ERM Performance tuning ''mowton'' that to me is the best value for money, and the explanation of what's going on is great and easy to follow

Agree with 07GTS...I'm just starting to play with my Camaro, I bought Ed's tuning tutorail and I'm very happy with it. Looking foward to his one on one secessions.
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer