Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rich After Flash / Injector Tip Temperature

Tuning Addict

Rich After Flash / Injector Tip Temperature

I have been seeing this more and more and starting to get a little tired of it even though it does seem to help supply me with business as every vehicle I get that has been getting remote tuned or tuned by other tuners in general has had this table zeroed out... THIS IS THE WRONG WAY TO DO IT and has the ability to cause engine damage for a couple of reasons... I honestly don't think tuners know what this table defaults to or does with just simple hot restarts... DO NOT ZERO THIS OUT!!!

During a (HOT NORMAL RESTART) - Injector tip temp will usually default to 70 degrees Celsius, so lets think about this - you have the table set to zero when it should have something in there - owner goes to show off his FI 800 RWHP Camaro that's pushing 18psi - only now his fueling can be up to 10% lean because everyone seems to forget the other side of this coin and that's all of the other temperatures that are "calculated" within the ECM's logic - SO dudes running 10% lean now pushing 18psi on a 10:1 compression motor that was tuned to the lean side for those wonderful "power numbers" - how do you think it's going to turn out?

During a (HOT RE-FLASH) that we tuners have coined "rich after flash" - ALL calculated temperatures default to 100 degrees Celsius - that's all calculated items like IVT and Injector Tip Temp just for example - Just another reason why zeroing out Injector Tip Temp and making fueling corrections is worthless - it's referencing more tables than just injector tip temp for these "offset" fueling adjustments, so how is zeroing out one table and making corrections going to fix everything...

Now - I was personally taught by Jslic or Scott who originally discovered all of this for us on how to correctly calibrate it, but after struggling with it for a while I made my own changes or way of correcting the data and went from there... I'm not posting any of Scott's formulas, but there are better ways like his of getting this dialed in - if your one of the smart ones out there perhaps you can come up with a better way for everyone...

The way I do it requires a lot of idle time and a few hot restarts while sitting there waiting... I have gone to using fuel trims only for this - allows me to dial in fuel trim switching points to the desired air fuel "stoic" setting... In other words it allows me to shift the "0" or stoic set point for the fuel trims to a 14.7ish afr...

So now were taking IVT, O2 switch points and injector tip temp into account - what about cams, injection timing, airflow, engine compartment temps and so on and so on? I'll keep this as simple as I can, but to sum things up everything changes this table, so to make things consistent and to keep things more in line with temperature swings this is how I do it...

First off - dial in your injection timing as this changes fuel atomization and burn efficiency... After this kill long term fuel trims and change the IVT table to something really close to 1's in the map cells where your engine normally idles - your doing this to help yourself out and keep temperature swings fueling more in line... Picture posted below to illustrate...

Intake Valve Temp.jpg
    At the same time your doing that your going to put it into MAF only or SD only if it's a SD tune... Your also going to close the hood so the intake is sucking in air like it normally will everyday of the week - make sure you do that part... ALSO at this time multiply your injector tip temp table by the size increase of your current injectors - in other words if you increased them 50% - take 50% out of the injector tip temp table - this will help things go quicker...

With the engine idling at an elevated 1200 rpms your going to log injector tip temp just like it is in the tune - once the temp comes all the way down to as low as it's going to go - usually 50 to 60 degrees Celsius - this will be where you will make corrections to fueling for here on out... We're running the engine at 1200 rpms for a couple of reasons - First off a lot of engines have lopey cams - lopey cams have overlap at idle which will skew things - Secondly you don't want the injector tip temp fueling corrections staying in each cell for a really long period of time - they shift from one extreme to the next if they do - elevated rpms helps the "self calculations" come back into line much quicker than they normally would...

After you get the MAF dialed into a +/- 1 or 2 percent you can start making corrections to injector tip temp... A .000078s or a .0078ms correction can make a 5% difference in fueling - starting to see why this is so important??????????

It's also wise to have it a little richer on a hot restart - I personally target something from 2 to 5 % richer from the 70 degrees Celsius cells to the 55 degrees Celsius cells where the engine normally operates... Of course this will be dependent on injector sizes and engine setups plus you can't dial things in any better than a .0078ms setting due to the ECM's coding...

Before and Afters shown below...

Modifed Inj Temp.jpgStock Inj Temp.jpgStock to Modified Difference.jpg
    Sorry for the long post, but hopefully it'll help some people out - if weather, temperature, traffic, hot lapping or anything like that is changing your fueling and you have different injectors or anything changing airflow through the motor now - you might want to look into this... Again there are better ways of doing it - this way just works for me, but it does take a while - possibly a couple hours just in idle time :/
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Senior Tuner
    that's some good info, my idea was a basic version of that what i was doing is i done the scaling for the bigger injectors then every time i done a hot start after flash and it was richer then slowly leaned back to normal i had a look at the inj tip temp and only lowered it to its next lower point and left it there then just went that way with each temp range i was in, now im only a little richer but not enough to worry me and starts at any temp are fine

I have never had an issue, and I've literally run the piss out of a bunch of vehicles on the dyno immediately after reflashing and restarting the engine.

Understanding what an injector offset is vs commanded fueling is paramount.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Senior Tuner
    i really only run into an issue on the e67 ecm with bigger injectors. that is once in great while though. that was on FIC injectors, but fixed the issue through a couple tweaks to the table mentioned.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

HP Academy from New Zealand had posted a YouTube video about a year ago about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy5giNjGpK0

Quote Originally Posted by Sin7even View Post
    HP Academy from New Zealand had posted a YouTube video about a year ago about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy5giNjGpK0
    Got interrupted by the phone. A lot of people have probably seen that video on YouTube, and you know how that goes... monkey see monkey do.

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Sin7even View Post
    Got interrupted by the phone. A lot of people have probably seen that video on YouTube, and you know how that goes... monkey see monkey do.
    Yeah, saw that a long time ago - Didn't like how he more or less somewhat takes credit for Scott's hard work, digging and research and then to boot without even understanding what this does tells everyone to just zero it out... Completely wrong way to do it...

Dave, Bryan - how do y'all do this? I've corrected "several" tunes with this problem, so just wondering??? AND before the injector debate starts - the above posted corrections are from a 2010 Vette with cam and blower E38 with ID1300's...
    Last edited by GHuggins; 09-01-2017 at 01:36 PM. Reason: to keep it clean :)
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Senior Tuner
    running it against the fuel trims, watching the tip temp, and percentage changes while doodling on a note book for reference. had some time to kill lol

My 2010 Silverado 5.3L LC9 E38 has the Inj. Temp. Offset all zeroed out in the stock factory read. Take a look at the picture of the table below.
    10 Silverado 53 LC9 Inj Temp.jpg

Now looking at a stock 2010 Camaro SS also an E38 module, and it has the usual looking Offset table. Got a pic of that also below.
    10 Camaro E38 Inj Temp.jpg

Why do you think the Silverado has all 0s, only thing I would think of is that it might be because the LC9 is an all aluminum Flex Fuel engine.

Tuning Addict
    GM used a different method for dialing in fueling on some of their platforms - whether it was different engineers at the time or a more learned process over time - who knows for sure - I just know they use it on everything now - it's just more refined and dialed in on the newer platforms...

~Greg Huggins~

Yeah, just odd since they both are 2010 vehicles. What are you thoughts on vehicles with stock injectors. When tuning setting the 45-80 or so Celsius part of the Injector Temp. table zeroed out so it does not effect the commanded. Drive vehicle and wait for commanded to settle in to 1.0 lambda at light load, and then log vehicle for error. Flash, rinse and repeat. Once the vehicle is tuned to a satisfactory error, reflash vehicle back with stock Injector Temp. data. Drive vehicle and confirm it is hitting commanded as per last error log during tuning.

Calibrate MAF Charge Temps / MAF. Calibrate VE / Manifold Temp Ranges. Calibrate IVT vs Cold Start Mostly - Calibrate Inj Offset vs Hot Start Idle & WOT Runs.

How to help without giving too much away.......

Idle -2% ...... wot 2% rich.... inj offset tip temp = xx.... reduce slightly. If it's lean at idle and wot, add to inj offset tip temp.
    Last edited by BigDaddyCool; 09-01-2017 at 11:32 PM.
    2017 Toyota Kluger - 10.1" Android Custom Head Unit, Rockford Fosgate Speakers, 85kg Roof Racks. Prev: 2009 Cammed VE SS Sedan, DOD Delete, 210/218 550', RAMJet OTR, HiFlowCats, IQ System, Amp/Speakers.

GH, Such good information as always.

Decided to do what you did, kinda, just logged a bunch while off idle - 1250rpm for 45-50mins. Started off after coolant temp was up to 180F for a bit, Injector tip temp climbed from 116 to 124F and watched the Fuel Trims lean out a bit.. (left side of the table in the pic). Then since I was hot, I flashed it and immediately started logging the same way.. holding 1250rpm as Inj TIp Temp fell from 190F to 150F (right side in the pic)... was gonna log longer but 30mins was enough since it was really dropping slow at this point..

Awhile ago I modified the Inj Tip table to reduce the severity of the rich after flash since I have bigger injectors but it was a quick reduction, not much thought went into it. I noticed instant reduction in rich after flash so was happy since then but wanted to revisit, just never have until now.

You think this Fuel Trim error in the pic is something I can correct for in the Inj Tip table? I never really looked at it this controlled before (same load, same rpm meaning different parts of the MAF curve/SD Curve arent affecting this).

143 Hot Flash Inj Tip Temp vs Fuel Trim ALL COMBINED.PNG
    Last edited by 10_SS; 09-04-2017 at 08:28 PM.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 10_SS View Post
    GH, Such good information as always.

Decided to do what you did, kinda, just logged a bunch while off idle - 1250rpm for 45-50mins. Started off after coolant temp was up to 180F for a bit, Injector tip temp climbed from 116 to 124F and watched the Fuel Trims lean out a bit.. (left side of the table in the pic). Then since I was hot, I flashed it and immediately started logging the same way.. holding 1250rpm as Inj TIp Temp fell from 190F to 150F (right side in the pic)... was gonna log longer but 30mins was enough since it was really dropping slow at this point..

Awhile ago I modified the Inj Tip table to reduce the severity of the rich after flash since I have bigger injectors but it was a quick reduction, not much thought went into it. I noticed instant reduction in rich after flash so was happy since then but wanted to revisit, just never have until now.

You think this Fuel Trim error in the pic is something I can correct for in the Inj Tip table? I never really looked at it this controlled before (same load, same rpm meaning different parts of the MAF curve/SD Curve arent affecting this).

143 Hot Flash Inj Tip Temp vs Fuel Trim ALL COMBINED.PNG
    thats more or less how i do them in a nut shell {if i have time to myself in the driveway} it seems to be hit or miss on the vehicles and model years if they need it or not. I have noticed camaro's need to more than trucks do. also comes down to mods on said vehicle. Once the injection timing is set, it seems to be less noticable.
    Last edited by Area47; 09-05-2017 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Area47 View Post
    thats more or less how i do them in a nut shell {if i have time to myself in the driveway} it seems to be hit or miss on the vehicles and model years if they need it or not. I have noticed camaro's need to more than trucks do. also comes down to modes on said vehicle. Once the injection timing is set, it seems to be less noticable.
    cool, thanks. I have been noticing maybe up to 3-4% lean after shutting off and restarting like GH mentioned... makes sense now, hopefully this is the cause. Probably either this or due to the high IAT's of my whipple but that doesnt seem to track with fuel trims.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Senior Tuner
    the farther you get away from stock, the more it is affected. injectors, cam, blower and such.

Tuning Addict
    Yes, but there's a little more to it - actually looks like you need to pull about 2% from the MAF in your cells where it's running then add .0078 from 149 to 158 cells...

I wish Jslic would chime in on this, but personally I like to have .0078 in the normally operating temperature cell - 0 out below that and adjust above that - I know Scott 0's it out in the normally operating cells and adjust above them from there which does make more sense, but I noticed them being a little too rich when cold when I did that and the OE puts values in the normal temp cells, plus for some stupid reason that'll I'll never be able to explain they seem to make more power that way...

~Greg Huggins~

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Yes, but there's a little more to it - actually looks like you need to pull about 2% from the MAF in your cells where it's running then add .0078 from 149 to 158 cells...

I wish Jslic would chime in on this, but personally I like to have .0078 in the normally operating temperature cell - 0 out below that and adjust above that - I know Scott 0's it out in the normally operating cells and adjust above them from there which does make more sense, but I noticed them being a little too rich when cold when I did that and the OE puts values in the normal temp cells, plus for some stupid reason that'll I'll never be able to explain they seem to make more power that way...
    I have larger than normal split LTFT's.. like -5% and -1% which works out to some -3.0% or something, but I dont want the low side ever adding fuel at WOT. Probably injector imbalance or leaky Whipple manifold O-ring so I like to keep it a bit on the rich side.. but I will play with the 149-158 cells see what happens. Feel like Flashing it hot still should run a bit rich since that's just an intended calc error while Injectors are not actually that hot. If I reduced it that much to bring it closer to -1 to -2% then if inj temp ever really got that hot, then I would have a problem could run lean. Who knows, maybe if I was in the desert and shut it off for 30min in the sun with 120F air temps it could get up there in real life.
    Last edited by 10_SS; 09-05-2017 at 10:22 PM.
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Tuning Addict
    That's why I leave it about 4 to 5 % richer when it's in the really high temps although I have had really high IAT's and not had this vary from what I set it to...

~Greg Huggins~

Advanced Tuner
    I primarily use the "other" software, but i actually have never had the rich after flash problem. In fact 90% of the time it's the complete opposite. Where the car will run lean, up to 16/17 afr for idle and then out by about .05 lambda at cruise for the first minute or 2 or if you give it a couple of stabs of the throttle it'll fall in line.

Once that initial time has cleared or load has been placed on the motor, trims will be within 1-2%.

for shits and giggles i modified the Open loop IVT Temp gain table and bumped it up and got the car firing up and getting to my desired lambda value almost instantly. I could only do it this way since efi doesnt have this table yet.
    Last edited by Tre-Cool; 09-07-2017 at 02:58 AM.