Thread: E67 Change Cylinders Parameter

Potential Tuner

E67 Change Cylinders Parameter

I am working on a V8 swap into a 2006 Pontiac solstice. My question is this, I want to retain the communication between the ECM and BCM. I would also like to retain the vehicle VIN if possible. I have seen various results of people loading different OS's onto the I4 ECM's, some bricking and some not.

I have been a little cautious to make any changes just yet in fear of bricking my ECM (I do have spares, but all are I4's)

Is it as simple as changing the parameters in HP Tuners to change the number of cylinders, displacement, gearing, and of course all the related fuel and ignition maps? This seems entirely too simple.

There is a company who will program the stock ECM for use with a V8 using a software which is no longer available, however it must be a custom OS as it not editable with other software after doing so. All of that to say that it is obviously possible for my ECM to work with the V8, just need some expert advice on how to do so.

Thanks

Steve

Advanced Tuner
    I would look for a V8 OS that matches your (or another Solstice/Sky) OS. You might be able to segment swap the Engine and Engine Diagnostics segments into your base file so that it has all the necessary settings to run a V8 while still maintaining the communication with the BCM.

I highly doubt changing the # of cylinders and volume will let an I4 calibration run a V8, but GM has done weird things over the years.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the feedback, it seemed like that would be way too easy. I will see what I can find. I will see if I can find a thread on segment swapping.

Thanks again for the help.

Potential Tuner
    Ok, so I have another problem. I am having a bit of trouble finding a V8 application with the same OS as my car. Is there a way to search by OS in the repository?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 06Solstice View Post
    Ok, so I have another problem. I am having a bit of trouble finding a V8 application with the same OS as my car. Is there a way to search by OS in the repository?
    Not that I'm aware of, I checked last week and couldnt find anything. You may have to figure out what V8 ECM OS sends the proper communication to your BCM and go about it that way.
    ~Erik~
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...

This is going to be difficult. You need to flash the ECM with a V8 OS of the same year of your car. This will enable CAN communication with the other modules in the car.
    Then change the VIN with other tools since HPT won't allow a I4 vin in a V8 OS (you can try this without spending credits or flashing the ECU fortunately).
    Some modules get upset when the BCM has a different VIN, however if the ECM has a different VIN only VATS causes trouble and it can be disabled. This is not always the case tho.

After the VIN is changed you will create a new VIN/OS pair and HPT will ask for another 2 credits to allow you to flash a calibration (you can finish the tune and change the VIN as a final step if you don't plan to modify the tune further). It's possible that it won't even let you license the new combination, however this is supposed to be fixed in 3.4 and later.
    The best way to flash the E67 to a different OS is with TIS and using a OS of the same year, for your car it would be 06 Caddy CTS or something using a V8/E67.
    It can be done with HPT with a write entire but you need to check if segments 7 and 8 are the same between the stock calibration and the file you want to flash. HPT doesn't let you check this since it doesn't even display those segments. If those segments are different and you write entire a different OS it's very likely to brick the ECU.
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecarlodrag View Post
    This is going to be difficult. You need to flash the ECM with a V8 OS of the same year of your car. This will enable CAN communication with the other modules in the car.
    Then change the VIN with other tools since HPT won't allow a I4 vin in a V8 OS (you can try this without spending credits or flashing the ECU fortunately).
    Some modules get upset when the BCM has a different VIN, however if the ECM has a different VIN only VATS causes trouble and it can be disabled. This is not always the case tho.

After the VIN is changed you will create a new VIN/OS pair and HPT will ask for another 2 credits to allow you to flash a calibration (you can finish the tune and change the VIN as a final step if you don't plan to modify the tune further). It's possible that it won't even let you license the new combination, however this is supposed to be fixed in 3.4 and later.
    The best way to flash the E67 to a different OS is with TIS and using a OS of the same year, for your car it would be 06 Caddy CTS or something using a V8/E67.
    It can be done with HPT with a write entire but you need to check if segments 7 and 8 are the same between the stock calibration and the file you want to flash. HPT doesn't let you check this since it doesn't even display those segments. If those segments are different and you write entire a different OS it's very likely to brick the ECU.
    Excellent information! I think I can do all of that, I am still learning HP Tuners. I have access to a tech 2 as well so that will come in handy soulds like. A few other questions out of curiosity. What is in segments 7 and 8? How can I view them since HP Tuners doesn't show them? What method can be used to change the VIN that will not cause issues with an OS mismatch? Sorry for so many questions, but you have given me the best information that I have seen and you know your stuff!!

Thanks

Steve

Segments 7 and 8 are the slave OS that control the electronic throttle. They are not displayed in HPT because they cannot be read. The ECMs are bricked by a write entire when you flash a different OS IF those 2 segments are different and incompatible.
    Since HPT (or any tuning software) can't read them they aren't included in the tune file, so when you do a write entire they aren't overwritten and you can render the ECU unrecoverable via OBD2.
    Only a Tech2/MDI with calibration subscription can write those 2 segments (a true full flash). However, even with a Tech2/MDI you can brick a ECM if you flash a different year OS, it's simply a hardware incompatibility.

Any high end scan tool or a Tech2 can check those 2 segments, they are displayed under CVN or calibration ID.
    To change the VIN you need to use EfiLive, it will let you change the VIN to whatever you want, however a different VIN will always cause a "Invalid VIN/OS pair" error in HPT since it breaks the licensing structure.
    You need to change it with Efilive and don't try read the tune again, only write calibration.
    After that the first time you try to write a calibration with HPT, it will ask for 2 more credits because the VIN was changed. You should be able to license it again and write changes to the tune with a "write calibration only" keeping the modified VIN. Never use Write Entire again (will overwrite the VIN).

I attached a PDF with a list of compatible OS for each ECM service number, hope it will help you.

Best Regards.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Potential Tuner
    Excellent!! Thanks for all your help. One more question, will efilive require a licensing fee/credits to change the vin?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 06Solstice View Post
    Excellent!! Thanks for all your help. One more question, will efilive require a licensing fee/credits to change the vin?
    No, it does not.
    ~Erik~

Potential Tuner
    Hello, I'm aware this is an old thread but wondering if 06Solstice was able to solve the e67 ecm and bcm compatibility issues?
    I am contemplating an LS2 swap into an 07 2.4 NA manual transmission. It seems the 06 CTS V8 OS would be a compatible donor.

There are people/companies out there that specialize in V8 swaps for these cars and have custom calibrations to make this work. It's not a DIY thing you can do yourself in HPT.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    There are people/companies out there that specialize in V8 swaps for these cars and have custom calibrations to make this work. It's not a DIY thing you can do yourself in HPT.
    I am aware of that. I have completed a number of V8 swaps using stand alone ECM's but they have not had a BCM to contend with. I thought using the E67 ECM and making changes to the wiring and pinouts and flashing it with a compatible OS from a V8 I could retain most or all of the Solstice engine and body functions.