Thread: 2017 F150 Shelby (Whipple) throwing code P2112

Advanced Tuner

2017 F150 Shelby (Whipple) throwing code P2112

We have almost brand new Shelby F150 with Whipple system here and it goes to limp mode every now and then when accelerating from standstill. The code is P2112 "Throttle actuator A control system - stuck closed".

The limp mode barely keeps the car running which is annoying enough by itself. I logged parameters that could be logged with scanner (there was not many of them):
    -Throttle position (SAE)
    -Relative throttle position (SAE)
    -Absolute throttle position B (SAE)
    -Commanded throttle actuator (SAE)

The scanner does not seem to act very fast with this car even though I do not have many parameters along those above in read. I made many WOT pulls and I can not find a clear error from the graphs.

I attempted following:
    -TP disagreement limit (original 7 degrees). I changed it to 30 and later to 90 degrees without help.
    -ETC TPP THETA negative error multiplied by 4, no luck
    -ETC TPP THETA positive error multiplied by 4, no luck
    -I put the P2112 code to "no error reported" with no luck although this was as I expected..

This has been tested with a TB from another similar car but that didn't change anything.

Next step (if I/you don't figure out something) is to send the TB and PCM to Whipple.

Original tune and my first log attached in which the limp mode is achieved in the last WOT pull.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Does this have the 132mm T/B on it?

Advanced Tuner
    I don't know the size but it was with the car (made by Whipple I assume). This is a 750 hp version.

Tuner in Training
    Might want to check TPS voltages. Refer to this document for instructions.

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks. This document's procedure was already performed to this car but it didn't help.

Advanced Tuner
    Seems there's no fault at all. We're just using this F150 750hp wrong.

We get the limp home mode with code P2112 when accelerating WOT from standstill or at low speed. Sometimes the limp home activates at 20 mph, sometimes higher.

This is Shelby's statement to this:
    "The way of use in which xxxx was able to produce the fault setting can be identified as vehicle abuse.

Please understand your Shelby truck is a performance vehicle designed for street legal use in public traffic.

It is not a track vehicle for race track use only."

So no WOT pulls for Shelby. Those kind of actions are reserved for pure race cars which this isn't. It's nice to have prompt assistance from manufacturer for this new, warrantied special vehicle.
    Last edited by Tapi; 10-31-2017 at 04:27 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    This Shelby has been having some warranty treatment in the dealers place. Now it won't go to to the limp mode anymore. Sad thing is that it barely goes on top of usual highway hills anymore. There's more than half of power missing for some reason. This hasn't been studied more yet but it will be. Now we hear the s/c might have damaged bearings or sprockets but hey this has been driven a bit over 2000 miles since new so it's about a time to overhaul. Codes for misfires in couple of cylinders were present too. All this directly from dealer/manufacturer.

I attach here the tune since I noticed it had changed during the last service. Speed limiter had been lowered and in the "Knock retard limit vs RPM vs load"-table there was + 6 degrees instead of -4 degrees! They have either modified the tune a lot or they are intentionally destroying their product.

overhaul a whipple in 2000 miles...? they shouldnt need ANY work or service for a LONG time, very long... i know im not there and have little info but i cant see that being your issue for a lack of power.

Advanced Tuner
    The overhaul is not needed because of the s/c. That may need some attention also (there?s significant bearing noise involved) but the most worrying thing here is the engine itself. The cylinder balance test failed for #5 and #8. This might be worse than expected especially when knowing the latest tune update included more spark advance when there?s knock present.

I?m hoping to see that this software would have been done so differently that those values would not tell the truth... I haven?t messed with this tune at all but I noticed that knock retard can be altered between -20 deg and 0 deg but it was +6 deg in that table from warranty service.

Tuning Addict
    Whipple had big issues with the earlier versions of this on the 15ish year models not putting out anywhere near the power that they were rated at - their solution then with the customers complaining was to turn the timing way up and change pulleys which lead to blowing engines left and right... Have no idea if that's what they're doing to you or not, but keep it in mind... Their blowers also won't spin the rpms they're rated at, so anything above 13000 to 14000ish could lead to problems... Good news - you haven't changed your tune and your Ford dealer / installer is the only one messing with it, so when it does blow if there's not already damage - it should hopefully be covered even though the last person I know this happened to - whipple didn't cover and blamed it on everything that whipple had this guys installer do - still find that one funny :/
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

If I may be 'so rude' to jump in on this one, what controller did you select to read the 2017 Shelby file? Because I can't read it on the 2017 Shelby F-150 I have here?

Quote Originally Posted by Outlawgentleman View Post
    If I may be 'so rude' to jump in on this one, what controller did you select to read the 2017 Shelby file? Because I can't read it on the 2017 Shelby F-150 I have here?
    Are you reading with the latest beta?

Advanced Tuner
    After a year has passed: The car has brand new engine in it together with latest Shelby (Whipple) tune. Now they seem to have learned that increasing spark advance in knock situation has negative influence on engine life. Now it reduces 15 degrees through the rpm range while accelerating. Today in dyno showed almost 400 hp which is as far from 750 hp as I was expecting.

What pulley are you running?

Lots of the 2015-2017 f150 guys have been able to run a 3.500 with the whipple tune and 93 octane, if you are running the 3.875 or 3.750 you need to go down in pulley to get hit the numbers you want.

Advanced Tuner
    The pulley is original.

Knock sensor shows that -15 deg retard even with mild acceleration.

I’ve heard of guys being able to run 87 octane with the original pulley.

run a 3.500 or 3.625 and it will pick up a good amount of power along with cam timing improvements