Thread: Setting up 3 bar map sensor and wideband

Tuner in Training

Setting up 3 bar map sensor and wideband

I have the following map sensor and was wondering how I set it up for my car? I am trying to get the car running now with HPTuners. It had an AEM stand alone before but the board on it got burnt up and I don't feel like paying for a new stand alone. I'm just trying to figure out what I need to do to set up the ecu for the 3Bar sensor and what pin I can log my NGK wideband into and how to set up logging for it.

Here is a link to the map sensor I have: http://www.efisource.com/shop/ls1-st...ar-map-sensor/

I'm using my friend's HPTuners cable/software. Set up is 96 240Sx with a lq4 and t56 swapped in. ls6 intake, cam, dual valve springs, turbo, 80lb injectors, etc.
    Last edited by partemisio; 09-08-2017 at 01:07 PM.

MAP sensor is easy, set your linear and offset settings to 305/10.33 for that MAP sensor.

If you plan to run speed density you may also have to upgrade the tune file to support that sensor. Depending on computer you are running will determine if there is a 2 or 3 bar upgrade available.

Do you have a HP Tuners PRO or the standard?
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    MAP sensor is easy, set your linear and offset settings to 305/10.33 for that MAP sensor.

If you plan to run speed density you may also have to upgrade the tune file to support that sensor. Depending on computer you are running will determine if there is a 2 or 3 bar upgrade available.

Do you have a HP Tuners PRO or the standard?
    I forgot to mention that, I do plan on running speed density cause I don't run a maf with the turbo. I believe it is the standard version.

If you have the stock tune file, try and post that here. I can give a quick run down of what you'd have to do to setup the tune for the turbo/speed density.

If you have the standard version you can use the EGR circuit in the the factory PCM to wire in the wideband. It will be one power wire and one ground wire for the circuit. I know on a 06 computer it's like pins 55 and 41 if my memory is right. Double check what yours are and then you'd be on to the next step.

This youtube video shows how to setup the wideband via the AC pressure circuit but the same thing applies to the EGR circuit if you use it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru_2M2uGSKs

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    If you have the stock tune file, try and post that here. I can give a quick run down of what you'd have to do to setup the tune for the turbo/speed density.

If you have the standard version you can use the EGR circuit in the the factory PCM to wire in the wideband. It will be one power wire and one ground wire for the circuit. I know on a 06 computer it's like pins 55 and 41 if my memory is right. Double check what yours are and then you'd be on to the next step.

This youtube video shows how to setup the wideband via the AC pressure circuit but the same thing applies to the EGR circuit if you use it.

Ok, I will post the stock file tomorrow when I am at the car. I'll pull the wiring diagram for the truck I got the PCM out of and see what pins to use. Learning this software is a lot different than my AEM was. Thanks for your help!

Tuner in Training

Here's the completely stock tune. I need to set it up for the 80lb injectors, 3 bar map sensor, and no maf. The car also has no o2 right now so before I just had it running off open loop. FACTORY TUNE 240SX.hpt

Okay this is a quick run down of what you'll want to do.

Make sure you are in advanced mode under the edit tab. Edit > view > advanced.

Click the OS tab and find the 3 BAR OS speed density upgrade. Follow the instructions to apply the 3 bar OS to your tune file.

Once that is complete you can start to change the rest of the tune for speed density.

1. Engine Diag > Airflow, set the MAF fail high hz to 0hz. Then set the 3 MAF dtc's P0101-103 to MIL on first error.
    2. Set your linear and offset settings to 305/10.33 for the new MAP sensor under the engine tab.
    3. Open/closed loop. Disable LTFT and STFT by maxing out the temp for LT and settings the ST to disable. Then under the closed loop/etc table, set that to 284 as well, now it will run 100% in open loop like you were doing before. Also disable COT (cat over temp).

4. Go to your primary VE and paste back your factory VE for 0-105kpa because your new VE table in the 3 BAR OS is likely to be one solid number like 150 or 300 or something like that. Once you have your stock tunes VE for area's out of boost, select the last cell in the table. I think it's 305 or 310kpa, put like 150 there and then you can click interpolate between vertical bounds and it should scale the tune for 105-300kpa to give you are starting point. It's likely to be rich and needs lots of adjustment but it's a starting point.

5. Apply your injector data that you have to your injector flow rate table under the fuel tab.
    6. Reduce timing at first in area's that see boost. Also the speed density OS uses the low octane timing table only. Many just make both tables the exact same. I'd copy the high octane table to the low octane table and then reduce timing where needed.

7. Change cylinder volume to match your new engine size under the general tab.
    8. Change the power enrichment PE and BE settings to your liking. Better to start off safe at 11.0 AFR for BE and have it come in at 110kpa or so. Lower the RPM delay and have your pedal enable to what you like.

The rest is just minor things, like removing DTC codes for sensors you are not running. Removing abuse settings and torque mngt. You may want to look into the segment swap feature to apply a manual transmission segment to your tune to remove everything 4L60e related. Or you can just disable all transmission related DTC's and abuse settings. Wire in a separate VSS sensor or something.

That's most of the major things to get you running. Also keep a copy of your stock file somewhere in case you ever need it again and of course get your wideband working with HP Tuners so you can tune with that.

Tuner in Training

Click the OS tab and find the 3 BAR OS speed density upgrade. Follow the instructions to apply the 3 bar OS to your tune file.

Once that is complete you can start to change the rest of the tune for speed density.

1. Engine Diag > Airflow, set the MAF fail high hz to 0hz. Then set the 3 MAF dtc's P0101-103 to MIL on first error.
    2. Set your linear and offset settings to 305/10.33 for the new MAP sensor under the engine tab.
    3. Open/closed loop. Disable LTFT and STFT by maxing out the temp for LT and settings the ST to disable. Then under the closed loop/etc table, set that to 284 as well, now it will run 100% in open loop like you were doing before. Also disable COT (cat over temp).

4. Go to your primary VE and paste back your factory VE for 0-105kpa because your new VE table in the 3 BAR OS is likely to be one solid number like 150 or 300 or something like that. Once you have your stock tunes VE for area's out of boost, select the last cell in the table. I think it's 305 or 310kpa, put like 150 there and then you can click interpolate between vertical bounds and it should scale the tune for 105-300kpa to give you are starting point. It's likely to be rich and needs lots of adjustment but it's a starting point.

5. Apply your injector data that you have to your injector flow rate table under the fuel tab.
    6. Reduce timing at first in area's that see boost. Also the speed density OS uses the low octane timing table only. Many just make both tables the exact same. I'd copy the high octane table to the low octane table and then reduce timing where needed.

8. Change the power enrichment PE and BE settings to your liking. Better to start off safe at 11.0 AFR for BE and have it come in at 110kpa or so. Lower the RPM delay and have your pedal enable to what you like.

The rest is just minor things, like removing DTC codes for sensors you are not running. Removing abuse settings and torque mngt. You may want to look into the segment swap feature to apply a manual transmission segment to your tune to remove everything 4L60e related. Or you can just disable all transmission related DTC's and abuse settings. Wire in a separate VSS sensor or something.

That's most of the major things to get you running. Also keep a copy of your stock file somewhere in case you ever need it again and of course get your wideband working with HP Tuners so you can tune with that.
    Thank you!!! You have been a great help.

Tuner in Training

Thank you!!! You have been a great help.

Tuner in Training

In regards to the wideband, can I just put the pins where one of the factory front o2 wires go into the computer so that I can run closed loop off it and log it?

No you can't do it that way.

You need to use the EGR circuit or the AC circuit in the computer to create a custom channel. I posted the video on that. The only way to use closed loop is with the o2 sensor plugged in and you do not want to piggy back off of them.

Tuner in Training
    Forgot I have an aftermarket IAT sensor also. The link below shows the calibration info for it. I have found the "iat sensor curve" in hptuners software but am not sure what the values mean. I'm sure the temperature values are based on Fahrenheit. But, what does percentage mean? Is that supposed to be ohms of resistance or am I missing something?

http://aemelectronics.com/files/inst...nsor%20Kit.pdf