Thread: Oncoming pressure preset

Oncoming pressure preset

Does anyone know what torque values each of these rows, 0,1,2 relate to? if they actually do/
    I heard efilive defines these but hptuners doesn't.
    What does efilive show?
    I'm tuning my built trans and want to know what torque values these three stages represent.
    Also, can these torque values be changed? Obviously, as mods are installed (torque increases) and tuning changes, delivered torque changes. It would be nice to define these.

oncoming.png

typical reply, none! lol, oh well.

making progress, I estimated what they might be and it's working out great now.

maybe someone will search for these key words and it'll help them in the future.

Woah, 13 hours and no reply. Give it some time maybe.

I've been guessing at numbers too and had good success too.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Woah, 13 hours and no reply. Give it some time maybe.

I've been guessing at numbers too and had good success too.
    I have time to spare! lol.

If someone with efilive can post the definitions or description, or I've heard efilive may even label these columns and rows, that might help.
    More importantly, I'd like to be able to define what torque value each of these 0,1,2 cells hit.

thanks for the reply

Tuner in Training
    2017-09-12 (1).png

tunecat.gif

no value in efilive or tunercat
    Last edited by 02 Sierra; 09-12-2017 at 08:56 PM.

the way i see it is 0 - light throttle 1 - mid throttle 2 - max throttle and it works for me thinking of it that way

Yea, that's pretty much understood.

What I would like is to define those torque values 0,1,2 hit.
    As mods increase, so does torque.
    So now min torque becomes medium torque while driving normal.

Quote Originally Posted by 02 Sierra View Post
    2017-09-12 (1).png

tunecat.gif

no value in efilive or tunercat
    Thanks for posting, that's what I needed!

Are you able to change those values of 80,230and 380?
    That's what I wanna do in hptuners if so.

Maybe I just found them and maybe this will help others out. I'm sure someone will chime in any time now and say "oh yea, those tables, those are it, what I did was..." lol.

This is the only table in hptuners that I can assume it's using.
    So , I will enable Discrete Shift Torque Mode for the gears and give it a try.

Thanks 02 Sierra, I've seen these tables I just mentioned above, but now seeing how efilive labels them sparked an idea.

If this works, this is exactly what I wanted! To change the torque values for discrete shift torqu low, medium, and high.

torque values.png

I was about to post suggesting those values may correlate to the numbers in the presets, but you answered your own question. I'm just learning the 6L90 game and actually going to give that a try tomorrow

Just wanted to report back, that discrete shift assignment low/med/high does not do what is intended. I will try turning upshift adapt off, but even after resetting learned values, setting "high" threshold values to 100 and low and med between 10-50ish or so. Then setting the preset value of number "2" under preset to 250 psi for say 1-2 shift. Does not actually preset to 250 psi even though you have exceeded the 100tq value. If I set all 3 values under preset to 250 psi it makes a difference, but assigning the values appears to be doing something along those lines but not 100%.

I will play some more with that, but it feels like the TCM still tries to hit it's "time to complete shift" target but using a discrete torque value instead of a varying one. So tomorrow I will also adjust those tables to be more inline with what I'm doing in discrete+presets.

I have everything shifting just the way I want, but it would be nice to see discrete working as we hope. So either timing table, or turning adapt off completely should help to better understand what the ECU is doing without the adapt variable. What I really was hoping it would do, is correlate to the pressure preset values of 0,1,2 which it does not appear to be doing
    Last edited by mourat; 09-21-2017 at 01:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mourat View Post
    Just wanted to report back, that discrete shift assignment low/med/high does not do what is intended. I will try turning upshift adapt off, but even after resetting learned values, setting "high" threshold values to 100 and low and med between 10-50ish or so. Then setting the preset value of number "2" under preset to 250 psi for say 1-2 shift. Does not actually preset to 250 psi even though you have exceeded the 100tq value. If I set all 3 values under preset to 250 psi it makes a difference, but assigning the values appears to be doing something along those lines but not 100%.

I will play some more with that, but it feels like the TCM still tries to hit it's "time to complete shift" target but using a discrete torque value instead of a varying one. So tomorrow I will also adjust those tables to be more inline with what I'm doing in discrete+presets.

I have everything shifting just the way I want, but it would be nice to see discrete working as we hope. So either timing table, or turning adapt off completely should help to better understand what the ECU is doing without the adapt variable. What I really was hoping it would do, is correlate to the pressure preset values of 0,1,2 which it does not appear to be doing
    Thanks for the follow up.
    I'm in the process of trying it as well and got different results, so maybe we'll come up with something.
    How many miles did you get on the trans and did you see any adapting by the tcm to achieve pressure?
    I've noticed that the pressure isn't always what it's commanded, takes a little driving around. As of now, my trans is shifting pretty damn awesome! Very very quick, but not harsh and firmer at wot.
    It did change a little as I put more miles on it.
    The oncoming and off presets have a huge affect on the initial shift and final shift feel.

My trans has been modified, probably a typical build, the wave plates as they are called have been removed; with the stock oncoming presets, every gear but 1-2 would flare terribly, it's working great now.

It didn't take many miles and it does look like discrete is doing it's job, but with this tranny it's never what you "expect" lol. after lots of playing around, I have it set to very civilized can't feel the shifts at low throttle in "normal" mode, and agreesive once you get on the throttle in normal mode. And always "kill mode" in "sport mode" low and high throttle, except 1-2 and 5-6 shifts, those are fairly soft at low throttle in both modes.

Tuner
    One thing I know for fact is that when I mess with these for whatever reason I end up with severe spark knock under any kind of load,2013 Silverado,nothing I tried got rid of it except put them back to stock

It takes a lot of patience, if you get into the slightest bit of "Flare" phenomenon, this is when you get "knock".

You have to keep "ADAPT" leaning ON. Also, just FYI. ADAPT learns as you drive but it DOES NOT make adjustments on the fly. So if your PRESETS are way out, the system WILL WAIT until you cycle the ignition to apply the changes

Example, if you drive around for a bit and you went too high on your presets and the shifts are harsh, turn the car off and back on, and try again. You'll notice it's a lot smoother all the sudden. That's because the TCM waits for ignition cycle before applying the learned table to the actual live table.

I do a reset/preset after any pressure change in the scanner prior to ever starting the vehicle, I never have any issues with it learning doing it this way.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Yeah same here! Funny that you mentioned that because I just figured that out today. I reset the "preset" only after each change and zero "flare". Otherwise you're just fighting yourself changing values up and down and creating a cocktail of a tune LOL.

The cycling ignition on/off I found is when the TCM actually applies the changes that it has logged. I believe it may have a "% error" table built in, and once you cycle the ignition, it simply pasted the errors over the main preset or pressure tables. I have found that each time you turn the car off and back on, that's when you notice a difference in feel, not the amount of "time" you spend driving, so I do not believe these things adapt and alter on the fly. I could be wrong to a certain extent but it's always a learning experience with these things.

Tuner
    What are you trying to accomplish..

Just an update, got my trans 99% where I want it!
    Took a lot of tuning, but it's shifting just right!

Thanks for the reply, regardless of info, it all helps.

Tuner in Training
    These three pressures correspond to a calibrated max clutch torque value. This max clutch torque value is not in the hptuners tables. Pressure "2" is the open loop pressure used for max clutch torque, Pressure "1" is midway between that and no torque, and Pressure "0" is the pressure necessary to overcome the return spring.

You can change this calibration, but the values will not take affect unless you reset the trans adapts so it uses the preset adapt values. These are the oncoming clutch pressure values that get adapted. Hopefully one day hptuners will add the actual stored adapted values to the scanner so we can track how the adapts are moving. There are many other things that get adapted as well such as offgoing clutch pressures and fill volumes that we cannot see.