Thread: 2008 LNF married 2011 LHU computer & harness Help......

Tuner in Training

2008 LNF married 2011 LHU computer & harness Help......

Ok so here is the beast I have to tame. I have a customer with a nice custom roadster with a 2008 HHR 2.0 LNF installed in it. To control it a ECU from 2011 Buick Regal CXL 2.0 LHU and harness. Also updated are the Boost pressure sensor, MAP sensor, MAF sensor and O2 for correct 2011 Regal. I have a few problems with it running cleanly, never closed loop, O2 goes to 0. Idle is eratic etc. Even if I spray the throttle plate still goes to 0. Have only limited experience with Eco-tech tunes and had a little help with this one. Attached is the file and a pic of the truck if I can get it on here. Please view and ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    if you want to run in maf mode then you need to lower your rpm re-enable on the maf to a lower value than the high rpm disable. The way you have it now produces an internal coding error of conflicting data.

11.4 afr is too rich fyi....in these Direct Injection units you should be targeting roughly 13:1 at 2800rpm ramp into 12.8 by 3300 rpm and from 3800 and above target 12.6. Obviously make the transition to each enrichment stage smoothed out to make a progressive enrichment curve.
    if you dont want to get that fancy then just target 12.6 and leave it. It will make a lot more torque once the correct ratio zone is achieved.

What map sensor part numbers did you install?
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    For the pressure sensor in the manifold 12643955. For the inlet tube I have 12644807 and the MAF Delphi AF10142 I will find the tables and make some adjustments as I understand them then try it and attach the next file with results. Thank you for your help. I'd sure like to see this run correct.

Mike

the recommended changes i listed likely wont fix the running issue but if the pressure sensors arent setup correctly they will cause piles of issues.
    ill run the code numbers to see if i have the true data for those sensors.

looks like the sensors are coded correctly... i have the same values for the listed sensors.
    when you log channels in the scanner it will ask for generic most of the time....i usually use yes option because they are guaranteed pickups without issues.
    log these for the next startup:
    rpm
    o2 b1s1 Volts
    o2 lambda b1
    advance
    retard
    iat2
    boost lo res
    map
    tps
    etc
    maf hz
    maf lbmin
    ltft b1
    stft b1
    fuel injector ms

Tuner in Training
    Ok I have logged what I had so I can send you something. I will look through to find more channels and send another asap. I did not find an actual Lambda channel. Also where can I alter the desired A/F ratio?

thank you
    Mike

Tuner in Training

Log file

here is the first log file

Tuner in Training

second log file

Ok I added the channels I could find and run the log. See I sent the wrong file to start with so sent an older one that may not have much useful info. Still didnt locate lambda or boost lo res. Also it was after it ran a few trying for the first log. Wanting to be on the same page with it. I see the a/f ratio now as pointed out before but can't locate the table to modify. Thanks again for your help

Mike

i notice your o2 signals have no voltage feed backs. Your scanner file is also missing important channels specific to the lnf platform. You need to add a channel and use the search box. your looking for "wb lambda b1", maf hz, " boost Lo res". If you can't find these then at least log "commanded afr" and "actual afr" ( commanded and actual lambda is fine as well.) using the channel search box makes all the difference when looking these up.

The idle is set to idle at 800 rpm when at operating temps over 176*F. Yet here yours is still at 900+. either likely have a vacuum leak of a sensor that isnt reading properly. could be apart of the dead o2 voltage signal. If you can record actual afr or lambda then that should confirm if the sensor circuit is functioning properly.

the pe fuel table you have trouble finding is under fuel>power enrichment> EQ Ratio(gas) {there are 2 of these tables, one for fuel and one for knock, make sure they match as close as allowed}

i dont have a file for this ecu model unlocked so i cant upload one with changes that i normally make right off the bat like i do for its older sister ecu the E69.

Tuner in Training

log files

Well I'm getting there, reading through forums and learning how the program works. I'm sure this still isnt fully what you need but wanted to log it to see anyway. Found lambda and boost lo res but no data on lamda channel. I could also only find it on the gauge and graph, not on the channel only side if that makes sense

Mike

I think i found why your trim system is dead.
    Forcing closed loop in the scanner might correct the issue but the hard coding in the ecu needs changing to make this easier for you.
    Whoever was in there before you disabled the fuel trim system completely which meant they had to be tuning using a wideband only. Its not really recommended for this platform until you hit WOT which you could then use that sensor to verify fuel changes like in the ls platforms.

to re-enable go under the fuel section > open & closed loop > find "O2 Readiness voltage" and set to stock 1250 mV, the find "LTFT Enable / Min ECT" and set to 104*F.
    these are the stock values and if the sensor are installed and correct it should start trimming shortly after startup. Which makes the fuel system tune-able under all loads except WOT.

After it finished the warmup cycle you can see the commanded afr dropped to 11.5 afr. This means teh PE Enrichment parameters are not setup correctly.
    to fix this issue go to the fuel section > Power Enrichment > "PE Enable / Enable RPM" set to 2500 rpm, "PE Enrichment / RPM Hyst" set to 50 rpm, "PE Throttle/Pedal } Enable Pedal" Set to 55% in all cells

When i compare to a stock file for that engine your initial tune file you posted has a lot of airflow changes to the idle section. Either someone tried tuning the throttle body or they made a crude attempt at tuning the fuel scaling tables which there is software for. If this doesn't help with idle quality then i would recommend using the compare function and loading in all the stock settings and giving it a go. Generally speaking for this E39 ecu as long as you use all the original input sensor devices then all you should have to do is disable vats and let it rip. If it stalls out or hangs when driving then it has an issue with VSS input which can either be faked (a few people here are working on that) or the pedal axis can be changed in some ecu's.
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 09-25-2017 at 03:23 PM.

Tuner in Training
    now that you mention it I did have a fellow friend tuner Mark Romans try to help and he did hook his wideband up to see if he could help figure it out. Didnt know he disabled closed loop. I also remember weird idle problems and surging real high after just starting. He believed something like different throttle body size between the tune and actual had something to do with that. There is where i'm sure the airflow changes are. He is real good with LS motors but no experience on this platform. I will make a couple changes to try and get closed loop back

Mike

Tuner in Training

changes still 02 @ 0

ok i made those changes and started it up. I attached a log file and the most recent tune file so you can check my work. As a note I have also tried spraying carb cleaner in the air intake to try and spike the 02 without any change. Do you know if there is a different throttle body size from the 2008 compared to 2011? I think that was why he tried that along with being unable to get closed loop as well

After running with the changes remembered something else. It ran real fat and O2 read 0 so I think he disabled closed loop to try to get to run right by calibrating with wideband

also going to attach original file which I used to modify to make it run
    Last edited by Mike Poteet; 09-25-2017 at 06:47 PM. Reason: added file

i would start checking the wiring for the o2 at this point. something isnt right if you enable everything at it never initiates a trim.

Tuner in Training
    I've been wondering about that. The 02 connector because of the harness had to be re-pinned with different terminals and a different connector to match the harness ( it was a custom built harness ) Also wasn't sure which 02 to run, the 2008 or 2011. Recommendations? I did install one for the 2011 engine and one of my techs had verified but I am now wondering as well. Will look into that. Essentially with the 02 reading 0 the trims would max out rich of course. I believe that was why Mark disabled the leaning. ( as you can see this has been off and on over time so some of it is coming back

Will check and let you know

Tuner in Training
    Well damn,

I did find the 02 low reference circuit 3111 tied a PCM ground circuit pin 73. Didnt think it would matter but under the diagnostics for an 02 code it says the low reference is tied to a pull up circuit in the PCM and could have .9-1.1 volts on it. Great I thought I found it. Re pinned it to terminal 26 put it back together and still same thing Going to order another 02 but don't think it is it either

I sent you a PM. I'm having the exact same issue with my O2 signal and I'm hoping you found the solution!

Daniel