Thread: 2016 Silverado 5.3L 6 spd

Potential Tuner

Post 2016 Silverado 5.3L 6 spd

2016 silverado 5.3L 6 spd, does anyone know what is the difference in setting the downshift speed to 1 mph below the upshift table value vs the 5-10 mph as some have suggested? Does it help the trans response time shifting to a lower gear while cruising at 45 mph for example, or does it keep from an unstable (tolerance) condition? Also does anyone know what shift table is used when the transmission selector is in manual (M) and you have used the button to increase to M6 or M5 or M4,..etc? This shifting pattern seems to be a nice blend of performance and smoothness I would like to copy it over to the normal if possible. thanks for any help

TLD, I also have a 2016 Silverado but mine has the 4.3L v6. Both yours and mine have 6L80E transmisssions. I haven't noticed manual mode having different shifting patterns other than the obvious. I'll check mine tomorrow and will post the results. I wish HPtuners had a forum dedicated to average guys just wanting to liberate their transmissions from the low-rpm patterns that give a slightly better mpg (to satisfy politicians). I'd change only enough to give a nice blend of performance and smoothness. So it costs 0.5 mpg. It'd be worth it. Driving should be a pleasure, not a daily disappointment.

Long ago I purchased (new) a 1986 3/4 ton Chevy Scottsdale. It was fitted with a THM 400 3-speed trans without any locking torque converter. That was a smooth and responsive trans. That's all I want for my 2016 truck, smooth and responsive. Is that too much to ask?

try loading trans file from the 5.3 truck with 6l80

Quote Originally Posted by TlaserDragon View Post
    2016 silverado 5.3L 6 spd, does anyone know what is the difference in setting the downshift speed to 1 mph below the upshift table value vs the 5-10 mph as some have suggested? Does it help the trans response time shifting to a lower gear while cruising at 45 mph for example, or does it keep from an unstable (tolerance) condition? Also does anyone know what shift table is used when the transmission selector is in manual (M) and you have used the button to increase to M6 or M5 or M4,..etc? This shifting pattern seems to be a nice blend of performance and smoothness I would like to copy it over to the normal if possible. thanks for any help
    go to youtube and watch a couple of Richard Wardells 6l80 vids. its a good starting point. i highly recommend his TCC tuning vid for you guys, you'll love it!