Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 98 Camaro SS - 2nd Tune Attempt -> In need of guidance I'm afraid

Just because they say that does not mean it's correct or the only way to tune.

I feel like the tuning school must have trapped you in a basement somewhere where they forced you to preach their tuning technique like some sort of calibrating bible.

The calibrated success books and DVD's from what I recall never said to fully disable power enrichment while tuning.

You already know that doing it the way I have said or others is perfectly fine.... PART THROTTLE AND MEDIUM THROTTLE WILL NEVER ENTER POWER ENRICHMENT BECAUSE THE THRESHOLDS FOR DOING SUCH TUNING NEVER MEET THOSE REQUIREMENT.

But you argue it anyway because the tuning school said differently.

2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

No my career trapped me in a basement. A dark dungeon where I am forced to build awesome and fast corvettes as long as my body holds out. Like a Corvette gulag. But I have been here so long that I am not just passing off ideas I heard from somewhere. I am sharing the very secrets of my success with all of you.

Advanced Tuner
    Sharing In the most narcissistic manner, we all know your proud of yourself we can see it oozing from your every post.

When you do what I do you brag. You have to because otherwise nobody would ever believe the tales of the size and scope of what you did everyday. In fact, I didn't start taking pictures at work until I was accused of lying about what I did for a living. And now at least I don't get that. Now when I say I build whole cars, or I boost LS engines on a regular basis, or I tune or whatever I say I am or I do, I show everybody that yes, this is what I do and have been doing for a bunch of years now. 6 days a week.

We do everything in-house. You have to demonstrate mastery in all areas of this industry to do what I am doing. I am very proud of the skills I have and what I do. Sometimes it feels like I won some kinda lottery to finally find my way into such a corner of the automotive industry. A lot of times I wish I were or wanted to be better or different about things here or there and maybe 'proud of yourself' is not the best choice of words when describing me. But the last 8 years at this job sure has been the highlight of my life thus far.

Advanced Tuner
    Do you have time slips?

Advanced Tuner
    You should make your own threads about how proud you are insted of de-railing other threads. When your good at something and you don't brag about it, it's called modesty which is much favored over narcissism.

ya this specific thread is so far gone its a lost cause trying to get it back on track. lol. And no, Ben C. This is the difference and where I must bow to GHuggins. I build street cars. Everything I do is for the street. Most of our customers are not young and need to be in a car that has a buttery smooth idle with the a/c on while they race from traffic light to traffic jam. Because that is what they are used to. So for me power is far down towards the bottom of the list in tuning goals. With the engine's longevity and driveability, and idle characteristics being far more important. My leaner afrs i am always pushing stems from not just power production but also our need to get over 40k miles out of a set of spark plugs. Because I have to service what I build as it wears and our customers do not like changing spark plugs outside of their recommended service interval.

And honestly, Oleblu wouldn't it be nice if everybody posted up pictures of their handywork? You would know right away who you were talking to wouldn't you? I was pleasantly shocked to see GHuggins post up pictures of his stuff when questioned. so much better than looking at an avatar and trying to believe a wild claim you just read from an internet full of people who believe the earth is still flat.
    Last edited by AutoWiz; 11-01-2017 at 06:10 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Finally a post about learning from others and not soley about yourself.I was beginning to wonder about you. Show the forum a little more modesty and you could possibly become a respected member within time. I'm a nobody so my words mean jack shit. I lay in my caliche drivway and work on my stuff. But I learn from this forum and here lately it's seeming more like ls1tech than ever. The last thing we want is people like GHuggins to bail on us because of that.

Tuning Addict
    Pretty much all I do is street performance - just touched up a tune on one today that had over 200,000 on the odometer... I would honestly say that over 90% of my customers either drive or tow their vehicles to me from several 100 miles away - they do it for a reason - they want the best they can get for drivability, longevity, power and economy... Furthest one to date I've had hauled to me was from Hennessey's shop in Texas - yes, he forced Hennessey to bring it to me because they couldn't figure out his problem - he's got right around 30000 on it since I fixed it - just to give you an idea... Have one in the shop right now from Missouri... I'm not known as the "anal retentive tuner" for nothing Yes, I have some race cars out there - I would really love to have more, but I'm not going to sit here and go back and forth with you just because your wanting to pick a fight with someone it seems... I was in the middle of waiting on a Shelby Ford GT500 to cool down and my battery to charge back up on my laptop when I posted those pictures - calling someone a liar just because they accomplish something you couldn't isn't the way to do things... I get 800 to 900 + rwhp out of stock LS3's on a regular basis now - was I afraid to push them that far to begin with - yes - your dang right, but as long as the tune is right and they're taken care of - they last just fine there - 900's is where they get iffy on longevity

To the original poster - look into the AEM widebands - you'll have to cheat if you don't have the pro interface by using an ac input or something like that... If you plan on tuning more newer vehicles in the future - look into a 30-0333 or newer equivalent and wire in it's missing analog output wires - best cheapest wideband out right now for tuning... I've got a lambda pro and I use these primarily now for tuning - they're somewhere around 200 apiece and worth every penny... You can tune yours using fuel trims if you design in safeties on top of safeties - just be careful - use slow steady state throttle movements and hit as many cells as you can using stft's only... Luckily with it being a gen3 you won't have all of the other problems or tables to deal with, so you should be able to tune in the air model in an hour easy enough... This is my last post on this thread...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Pretty much all I do is street performance - my customers want the best they can get for drivability, longevity, power and economy...

To the original poster - look into the AEM widebands - you'll have to cheat if you don't have the pro interface by using an ac input or something like that... If you plan on tuning more newer vehicles in the future - look into a 30-0333 or newer equivalent and wire in it's missing analog output wires - best cheapest wideband out right now for tuning... I've got a lambda pro and I use these primarily now for tuning - they're somewhere around 200 apiece and worth every penny... You can tune yours using fuel trims if you design in safeties on top of safeties - just be careful - use slow steady state throttle movements and hit as many cells as you can using stft's only... Luckily with it being a gen3 you won't have all of the other problems or tables to deal with, so you should be able to tune in the air model in an hour easy enough... This is my last post on this thread...
    GHuggins, Thank you sir. That's what I was hoping to learn. Get the right tools, learn the correct processes, use precautions, and take the time to get it right.
    Very respectfully,
    Mike

I thought, wow look at that thread...49 posts. Must be some great advice there based on the original question...but

Right. best to go back to the other quiet threads and there few posts. And there is a whole mess of good advise all through this thread, no matter who's side you are on.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Pretty much all I do is street performance - just touched up a tune on one today that had over 200,000 on the odometer... I would honestly say that over 90% of my customers either drive or tow their vehicles to me from several 100 miles away - they do it for a reason - they want the best they can get for drivability, longevity, power and economy... Furthest one to date I've had hauled to me was from Hennessey's shop in Texas - yes, he forced Hennessey to bring it to me because they couldn't figure out his problem - he's got right around 30000 on it since I fixed it - just to give you an idea... Have one in the shop right now from Missouri... I'm not known as the "anal retentive tuner" for nothing Yes, I have some race cars out there - I would really love to have more, but I'm not going to sit here and go back and forth with you just because your wanting to pick a fight with someone it seems... I was in the middle of waiting on a Shelby Ford GT500 to cool down and my battery to charge back up on my laptop when I posted those pictures - calling someone a liar just because they accomplish something you couldn't isn't the way to do things... I get 800 to 900 + rwhp out of stock LS3's on a regular basis now - was I afraid to push them that far to begin with - yes - your dang right, but as long as the tune is right and they're taken care of - they last just fine there - 900's is where they get iffy on longevity

to add to the insult to this. I made 724/716 out of a stock headed 6.0 liter last night on 93 octane. I must be lying as well. ::shrugs:: {pte7675 on 13.5psi}

OP. take your time. You're not time limited on dialing it in. A quick way to get it back in line is the ltft+stft setup to pull it in closer to zero at a faster rate, then run off of stft to get as close as you want to zero. You can add decimal places for whatever level of precision you wish on this. keep the timing table smooth as well. less chance of knock, or anything funky happening.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Oh Area47, I bet the moderators here all wish you could drum up the volume of posting I do. I never said there was a low or any hp limit to what can be done on pump gas. I was arguing boost level and the affects it has on static compression. Now go find something relevant to post. With all that you do and do not advise. I got some good advise for you. Why don't you sit down and give your mind a rest.
    Last edited by schpenxel; 11-02-2017 at 11:33 AM.

Now, I am on my lunchbreak but I have to get back so I can unstrap this blown LS7..

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...d.php?t=278842

And put this blown LS7 back on the dyno for final tuning with the new pulleys..

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...d.php?t=284465

And I need to power through all that today because tomorrow morning I have to begin installing this A&A supercharger kit in this 2002 C5..

https://www.superchargerforums.com/t...corvette.6045/

here's hoping you all are staying busy as well. Maybe if you guys start treating me nicer I might move a gen 3 build thread or 2 to this forum with .hpl's and .hpt's. They do seem to get a lot of views.
    Last edited by AutoWiz; 11-02-2017 at 11:28 AM.

No personal attacks or I'll start deleting and locking stuff. Everyone play nice.
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoWiz View Post
    Oh Area47, I bet the moderators here all wish you could drum up the volume of posting I do. I never said there was a low or any hp limit to what can be done on pump gas. I was arguing boost level and the affects it has on static compression you ass clown. Now go find something relevant to post. With all that you do and do not advise. I got some good advise for you. Why don't you sit down and give your mind a rest.
    Your ill-advise to majority of the users on this forum should not be heeded by anyone. Egomaniacal narcissist self destruction will be your downfall.

Have a nice day.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

The blown ls7 that is going back on they dyno I believe is an erl performance superdeck, btw. I saw the engraving in the block when i had the intake off. It takes all the boost you can throw at it. On 110 I got that ls7 timing under boost up in to the 20's. And oh wow does she respond well to a simple 2 degree bump in timing. But we struggle to get to 13psi. It is easier on a 376 than a 427 obviously. But only being able to go 10% overdrive on the crank and having to go over the blower snout limits the heartbeats potential in a corvette.

So back at work here is what my afternoon looks like..