Thread: Knock retard

Advanced Tuner

Knock retard

Can someone please tell what the deal is with logging kr on these xr6 turbos I haven't had a lot to do with them tuning wise Iv come from the LS world. Now when you see kr on a LS in a log it means the ecu thinks there is knock. Now I have done some logging on 3 stock xr6 turbos and every time they come on boost there is some kr getting logged. Is this normal? And if so how are you identifying real knock (apart from a 3rd party devise).

Advanced Tuner
    Although secondary knock monitoring is what I use. You could try taking timing out at that load/rpm or adding fuel. If the knock retard stays the same I'd be inclined to say it is false knock.
    Ford BF Turbo Ute,Stock head/cams, In house built bottom end,Atomic Springs, Forged Rods,Cosworth Pistons,Atomic Billet oil pump gears,ARP Head/mainstuds,Process West Stage 3 Cooler Kit- Plazmaman plenum,Precision Int.Gate 6466,Manta twin 3" exhaust,ID1000s Plazmaman surge with Holley 12-1800 pump, Home Built ZF6H26, On United Pump E85 499rwkw 10.5@135mph https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgZupPhrMss
    Latest mods, FG intake manifold conversion and ID1300s-500rwkw, Yet to see the 1/4Mile

Advanced Tuner
    So in other words if it is showing kr in the log the ecu thinks there is knock and will remove timing just like a ls ecu. Has anyone else experience kr on a completely stock car, is it common.

Tuner
    you are most likely seeing this as a - negative value, which means it is adding timing.

Advanced Tuner
    Yes it is a negative value, that's weird how timing getting added through other tables shows up as negative kr in the scanner.

Advanced Tuner
    So it looks like negative kr is knock, turn the knock sensors off and you don?t get negative kr in the scanner.

Potential Tuner
    Also interested in this topic. On a 3rd gear pull, I may see no knock retard, however if the car is at wot in first or when stalling and launching, I always see some knock retard. Is there a reason for this, and can it be eliminated? Seems rather odd as the car is quite happy in 3rd. Could it be related to boost control?

Advanced Tuner
    What fuel are you using?

Potential Tuner
    Was using Costco fuel which is Mobil, but having switched to BP, it seems to be a bit better but still exists.

Advanced Tuner
    I think the stock calibration on the knock sensors are way to sensitive, so you probably need to D sensitise them, but in saying that I would always try and eliminate any chance it is in fact real knock.

Potential Tuner
    I agree,

I'm not too sure where to start re desensitising though. I've heard some say you need to increase gain (the map definition is incorrect) and I've heard to decrease gain. Then I'm not too sure how much to change the gain settings. I'm asking for 13 or so degrees at 12psi with AFR's around 12:1. I've seen tunes asking for 15+ at higher pressures so I do believe I've well below knock.

Advanced Tuner
    the factory IAT compensations are quite aggressive. don't be fooled into thinking 15 degrees is ok on big boost. from what I've seen as a rough ballpark a BA will take 7-8 at peak torque (4500) out to about 11 at 6k rpm on 18psi 98 pulp.

a BF will take 4.5-6 at peak torque out to about 9/10 at 6k rpm. on 98pulp 18 psi

FG F6 seem to take about 11 at peak torque out to 13 at 6k rpm 98pulp 18 psi

that's what I find the car will actually take excluding all compensators. that example assumes a free flowing intake and exhaust with a capable cooler on factory turbo.

a lot of the generic early tunes were rattle city.

Tuner in Training
    You will get false knock from loud exhaust actually as the knock sensor picks up the sound