Thread: 545 basics

Tuner in Training

545 basics

I'm a newbie to the transmission tuning side and am hoping someone can help out. I have 5.7 and 545RFE in a Wrangler. Currently, the truck pulls power dramatically when upshifting. I would like to minimize or remove the power drop. I am assuming that the torque management is what I need to work with. The areas I would think I would need to adjust are Max Torque per Gear and Desired Torque WOT, however I am looking to change the part throttle shifts more than anything. What am I overlooking? Can someone give me a short crash course in what needs to be adjusted?

Thank You!
    Last edited by raceplayhavefun; 09-26-2017 at 03:07 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by raceplayhavefun View Post
    I'm a newbie to the transmission tuning side and am hoping someone can help out. I have 5.7 and 545RFE in a Wrangler. Currently, the truck pulls power dramatically when upshifting. I would like to minimize or remove the power drop. I am assuming that the torque management is what I need to work with. The areas I would think I would need to adjust are Max Torque per Gear and Desired Torque WOT, however I am looking to change the part throttle shifts more than anything. What am I overlooking? Can someone give me a short crash course in what needs to be adjusted?

Thank You!
    depends on the year but if its 7 or back your not getting any help out of these guys. they have already acknowledged they are not planning to do anything for the earlier models of dodge

Tuner in Training
    This is an 09 drivetrain. The Beta version supports it, I just can't find what some of the settings do.

Thank You!
    To reduce the spark timing retard during the upshifts, go to the Desired Torque WOT & raise the values. Start by multiplying the table by 2. As on a heavy vehicle, it's very hard on the trans if you eliminate all upshift timing retard.

To firm up the shifts, start by adding 60 psi to the Max Line Pressure table. And max the Pressure Gain/Gear table. Then if you want firmer shifts, add 10 psi at a time to the Max Line Pressure table.

For the TCC, set the slip tables to 0 RPM (stock is 50 RPM) And I also only allow the convertor to lock in 4th & 5th gear in normal mode, and 3th, 4th & 5th in Alternate Mode (Tow/Haul?)

Russ Kemp

Tuner in Training
    Russ, thanks for the response!

Why is the max line pressure a table? What is the Y axis numbers? There's no labels....

My big question... What does the Desired Acceleration Offset and Ramp Rate of Acceleration tables do?

Screenshot 2017-10-12 20.04.53.png

Russ, thanks for the response!

Why is the max line pressure a table? What is the Y axis numbers? There's no labels....
    On the 2009 Ram that I tuned, the labels are 0-21, I don't know what they reference to. I just add the same amount of shift pressure to the entire table.

My big question... What does the Desired Acceleration Offset and Ramp Rate of Acceleration tables do?

I don't know what those tables do, never had to change them.

Russ Kemp

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post
    To reduce the spark timing retard during the upshifts, go to the Desired Torque WOT & raise the values. Start by multiplying the table by 2. As on a heavy vehicle, it's very hard on the trans if you eliminate all upshift timing retard.

To firm up the shifts, start by adding 60 psi to the Max Line Pressure table. And max the Pressure Gain/Gear table. Then if you want firmer shifts, add 10 psi at a time to the Max Line Pressure table.

For the TCC, set the slip tables to 0 RPM (stock is 50 RPM) And I also only allow the convertor to lock in 4th & 5th gear in normal mode, and 3th, 4th & 5th in Alternate Mode (Tow/Haul?)

Russ Kemp

How are you unlocking the convertor in each gear? I tried setting the RPM to 8160 which is max, but it would still engage. I changed all tables in partial to full lock to max.

Thanks,
    Creton

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post
    On the 2009 Ram that I tuned, the labels are 0-21, I don't know what they reference to. I just add the same amount of shift pressure to the entire table.

I don't know what those tables do, never had to change them.

Russ Kemp
    The 0-21 in the shift line pressure table has to to do with which shift is being performed.

Potential Tuner
    Does anybody know when "normal" mode is used, and when "alternate" mode is used in TC Apply/Release page?

Also, there is "Partial TCC Apply" thresholds for normal and alternate modes and in the same time there is "unlock to partial lock" tables. I suspect the "Partial TCC apply" thresholds are the absolute minimum turbine RPM for each gear the partial TCC can be applied, but I still cannot see why it is needed, given the "unlock to partial lock" tables are there and the same can be set using them. Any help on this?
    Last edited by sparkybg; 08-24-2023 at 07:31 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkybg View Post
    Does anybody know when "normal" mode is used, and when "alternate" mode is used in TC Apply/Release page?

Also, there is "Partial TCC Apply" thresholds for normal and alternate modes and in the same time there is "unlock to partial lock" tables. I suspect the "Partial TCC apply" thresholds are the absolute minimum turbine RPM for each gear the partial TCC can be applied, but I still cannot see why it is needed, given the "unlock to partial lock" tables are there and the same can be set using them. Any help on this?
    Anyone?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkybg View Post
    Anyone?
    "Partial TCC Apply" in my experience is the absolute minimum turbine RPM for any TCC application for each gear, just like you are suspecting. There are also "Closed Throttle TCC Apply", which are the turbine speeds above which the TCC can stay engaged/locked for each gear in no throttle / coasting situations. I suppose it isn't "needed" like you say, but I still find them useful.

Alternate mode is for tow/haul. Driver Select mode implies that it is for ERS / Manual gear selections, however I have never seen these tables in use on my on 2011 truck, it always seems to run the normal or alternate tables for TCC.

If you zero out the entire set of tables for "Partial to Full Lock" and "Full to Partial Lock" it will no longer operate in partial lock mode, and will drop straight to full lock.

Tuner
    Hey Russ i got a 545 . if i show you my current tune , can you shoot me your insight on it ? It?s in a 73 Challenger 6.1 hemi / 545 combo

Thank you in advance !!

Sonny