Thread: VIN changing outside of brand?

Potential Tuner

VIN changing outside of brand?

I have an older BMW I'm considering putting a LS of some sort in to. Unfortunately my county has emissions testing, and as an OBD2 vehicle it'll get plugged in. They've actually taken the plug test to the ultimate conclusion and have self-service bays where you just drive up, plug your car in, and as long as the ECU's happy you're good to go.

Is it possible to program the GM ECU to report the BMW VIN so the test equipment won't think I'm trying to test a Camaro?

To be clear I intend to keep the GM ECU's emissions controls functional and accurately reporting their state. As far as I'm aware as long as I keep the GM stuff doing what it does and use the same model year or newer parts it's legal, I just want to have the ECU reporting the correct VIN so things are as smooth as possible. Making the BMW ECU happy enough to pass an emissions test when the I6 is no longer in the vehicle seems like it probably wouldn't work out very well.

As far as I know you can not put another makes VIN in the computer, it will not jive at all.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

You can do it but using a different software. HPT licensing scheme doesn't allow for a VIN from a different model let alone a different brand.
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Quote Originally Posted by Montecarlodrag View Post
    You can do it but using a different software. HPT licensing scheme doesn't allow for a VIN from a different model let alone a different brand.
    Have you tried with VCM Suite 3.6? VCM Suite 3.x has a much more flexible licensing system than the very restrictive system 2.24 had.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners View Post
    Have you tried with VCM Suite 3.6? VCM Suite 3.x has a much more flexible licensing system than the very restrictive system 2.24 had.
    No, to be honest it's been a while since the last time I needed to change a VIN. I'm going to have a look at it
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners View Post
    Are you saying it can be done? I mean you do write the software so you should know. It was my understanding that with V3.x you could license a VIN/OS mis match but not create it. A direct clarification on creating the VIN/OS mismatch would be nice.

Advanced Tuner
    Yes that'd be great to know. Ive turned away projects ive wanting to do because of the understanding a vehicle vin is restricted to the brand and pcm tcm type.
    I have a burrito in my colon, yet refried beans come out...
    How i know it's from the same meal? I didn't ingest corn any other time.

Senior Tuner
    *crickets* As usual.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I think Keith may have meant you can license vin/os pairs outside of brand. To my knowledge you still cannot change to a Dodge vin in an GM ecm AFAIK. Then again only way to know 100% would be to actually try it...
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    Couldn't hpt support try it and determine the answer with no risks?
    I have a burrito in my colon, yet refried beans come out...
    How i know it's from the same meal? I didn't ingest corn any other time.

Senior Tuner
    Shouldn't the people that write and produce the software know what is allowed and not have to try it? Or better yet, not ask the customer to try it?

Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    Shouldn't the people that write and produce the software know what is allowed and not have to try it? Or better yet, not ask the customer to try it?
    One would think so.

Advanced Tuner
    With that said, do not license the pcm until the vin mod has been made, like stated above versions 3.xx are flexible for vin/os mismatch than earlier. That way you only have to license it once, once the bmw vin was entered into whatever OS you want to run. OS depends on years as well. But if you have a certain combo out of a certain vehicle, it's best to use that OS with your vin. Hope this clarifies any misinformation.

Quote Originally Posted by Asylumwarp View Post
    With that said, do not license the pcm until the vin mod has been made, like stated above versions 3.xx are flexible for vin/os mismatch than earlier. That way you only have to license it once, once the bmw vin was entered into whatever OS you want to run. OS depends on years as well. But if you have a certain combo out of a certain vehicle, it's best to use that OS with your vin. Hope this clarifies any misinformation.
    Did you remove the post pasted below or was that a admin action?

Dear APS,

Asylumwarp has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - VIN changing outside of brand? - in the VCM Suite Product Info forum of HP Tuners Bulletin Board.

This thread is located at:
    https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...d&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
    If it's a red/blue or blue/green pcm, 99-07 p01 and p59, I can pretty much input any vin I want using special tools and software, not hp tuners. If you are using those pcms and need a certain vin in them, give me a private message. I can certainly help for those with these circumstances
    Bo Woody owner:
    APS Automotive
    www.apstuning.com
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    405-424-RACE

Advanced Tuner
    I'm not sure if I deleted it or not, I was trying to edit it to add the above text to it. They haven't removed any of my other posts.. I would think if I said something wrong, they would reprimand me which hasn't happened so I think it was my mistake. But yes if I can help you let me know ..

Tuner
    I don't know about any other ECU other than an E38 but with an E38 ECU I can write ANY vin to it, I can make it all 1's if I wish..

This is not done with hptuners, it's done just using an elm327 and a serial terminal program, I like Termite myself.. Set up some function commands, set up the unlock key,etc..