Thread: Stuck in 3rd gear

Tuner in Training

Stuck in 3rd gear

First off, I have opened a service ticket (##99222) and have been patiently awaiting help from tech support.
    But...since I am stuck in 3rd gear, and have a 37 mile commute with 30 stop lights, and my car is the only one I have, I need to reach out to all the knowledgeable folks on this forum to see if I can get resolution as soon as humanly possible.

Tech support has been timely, but after today's commute, I'm about done.

The car: 426 Hemi @13:1 compression running 93 octane pump gas
    Enhanced Transmissions built tranny
    MTCM (custom programmed in 2010 by previous owner Mike Hess)
    previously tuned using DS handheld
    previously had 3.06 Getrag

Last weekend, I swapped in a 2016 Hellcat rear cradle with 2.62 gears....I know I know...2.62 gears??? I have to run these for a bit before swapping in a 3.09 out of my wife's Scat Charger.

I've read through all 72 pages in the Dodge engine tuning section and all the pages in the Dodge transmission tuning section ahead of doing my swap so I could be aware of what potential problems may arise. I did all the mechanical work in my driveway on ramps and it took me a day and a half. The computer stuff is what I'm not strong on.

Having read as much as I could, I followed the steps to changing the gear ratios (have version 3.6 HPT VCM Suite installed) and it seemed straight forward enough. Did the Init EGS5x after changing gear ratio to 2.62 and entering my tire size.....but I'm stuck in 3rd.

I've emailed all pertinent files to tech support, but I think they're real busy as the communications are there, but not as fast as I would like...so say we all right? lol

I am new to HPT but have owned since early this year and have been reading everything I can, even if I don't understand completely.

Attached is my initial read of my car, both ECM & TCM. I'd appreciate any input...but please...you need to pretend I know nothing...'cause I do know nothing...so if you offer tips or things to try...please use simple English :-)

Thank you in advance.

Chuck
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Follow up: It seems as though my custom TCM has some operating system on it that HPT tech support is unfamiliar with. Having been back and forth a few times with them, and sending files back and forth, it looks like they'll be learning something too.

They have been very helpful and they obviously feel bad that it's taken this long, but hey, is what it is.

In the meantime, I'm going to pick up a used TCM from the local salvage yard to see if that gets me shifting gears again...'cause a half a tank of gas in 74 miles and some 60 traffic lights is just too much for anyone to bear.

Once I have a resolution, I'll be sure to post it up so that maybe someday it will help someone else....not to mention disturbing all these crickets -_-

Potential Tuner

Stuck in 3rd gear

Quote Originally Posted by thxdear426 View Post
    follow up: It seems as though my custom tcm has some operating system on it that hpt tech support is unfamiliar with. Having been back and forth a few times with them, and sending files back and forth, it looks like they'll be learning something too.

They have been very helpful and they obviously feel bad that it's taken this long, but hey, is what it is.

In the meantime, i'm going to pick up a used tcm from the local salvage yard to see if that gets me shifting gears again...'cause a half a tank of gas in 74 miles and some 60 traffic lights is just too much for anyone to bear.

Once i have a resolution, i'll be sure to post it up so that maybe someday it will help someone else....not to mention disturbing all these crickets -_-
    i thought it was something i changed that has me doing the same in my 2006 srt charger.... As im driving it seems to start off in 3rd gear and wont switch unless i stop the car, cut it off & and back on.... Then it works for awhile but sometimes goes right back to 3rd gear.... Its annoying as i race my car and i would hate to be in 3rd and not know it

Tuner in Training

Exclamation A little help here hpt??

Ok tech support....just installed a brand new MTCM and still not shifting out of third gear.

I'd appreciate it if you would consider this URGENT as it's been a week now and still no resolution. I've emailed you a couple times now and the last one being with my phone number.

Please...this is killing me.

Tuner in Training
    Update:

It seems as though HPT is having issues reading and writing to Mopar Performance TCM's. (Chime in here guys if you want to)

Today I was able to install a factory original TCM out of a 2006 Dodge Charger R/T Police package car and low and behold, SHAZAAM! was able to program 2.62 gear ratio without so much as a whisper of a problem. Drove home today, for the first time in over a week, in more than just third gear.

To HPT tech support, should you ever read this, I am offering up, for your research use, a brand new MTCM to you guys to use, poke and prod and figure out how to make your software work with it. Only thing is that I just need it back working.

The Mopar Performance TCM's have second gear lock-up and increased shifting parameters....and are much desired among those with lots of power.

Challenge issued :-) should you choose to accept.

Thanks for reading and I hope this thread helps someone else. Don't mind the crickets......

Tuner in Training
    Update: Installed 3.09 diff out of my wife's '16 Scat Charger and reinstalled my MTCM. Back to shifting good and thankful that I didn't pooch the trans in driving for a week in third gear.

Looking forward to HPT getting the software working with MTCM's......

Potential Tuner
    do the hellcat axles fit the 3.09 diff or did you not have to change them when you put in the 2.92 diff from the hellcat? Asking because i have a 06 charger srt and im thinking of going 3.70 diff from a manual hellcat challenger with the hellcat axles, hubs, & rear drive shaft

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by THXDEAR426 View Post
    Update:

It seems as though HPT is having issues reading and writing to Mopar Performance TCM's. (Chime in here guys if you want to)

Today I was able to install a factory original TCM out of a 2006 Dodge Charger R/T Police package car and low and behold, SHAZAAM! was able to program 2.62 gear ratio without so much as a whisper of a problem. Drove home today, for the first time in over a week, in more than just third gear.

To HPT tech support, should you ever read this, I am offering up, for your research use, a brand new MTCM to you guys to use, poke and prod and figure out how to make your software work with it. Only thing is that I just need it back working.

The Mopar Performance TCM's have second gear lock-up and increased shifting parameters....and are much desired among those with lots of power.

Challenge issued :-) should you choose to accept.

Thanks for reading and I hope this thread helps someone else. Don't mind the crickets......
    Had very similar issues with a non MTCM as well. Did gear flash and just would not take, whatever block of code the VCM scanner THOUGHT it was modifying (and confirms back that it was modified if you reread it) was NOT what the BCM was looking for and the gear ratio remains incorrect, forcing you into 3rd. My only ever solution was to take a Diablo handheld and program the gear ratio, and then all went back to normal.

FYI - there is nothing in the operating system of a MTCM that cannot be programmed to any standard TCM, including 2nd gear lockup.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by HemiXperts View Post
    do the hellcat axles fit the 3.09 diff or did you not have to change them when you put in the 2.92 diff from the hellcat? Asking because i have a 06 charger srt and im thinking of going 3.70 diff from a manual hellcat challenger with the hellcat axles, hubs, & rear drive shaft
    The Hellcat (2.62 gear) axles installed into the 3.09 Scat Pack diff fine with no leaks or problems.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    Had very similar issues with a non MTCM as well. Did gear flash and just would not take, whatever block of code the VCM scanner THOUGHT it was modifying (and confirms back that it was modified if you reread it) was NOT what the BCM was looking for and the gear ratio remains incorrect, forcing you into 3rd. My only ever solution was to take a Diablo handheld and program the gear ratio, and then all went back to normal.

FYI - there is nothing in the operating system of a MTCM that cannot be programmed to any standard TCM, including 2nd gear lockup.
    Thanks. I ended up removing the HC 2.62 diff and installed a 3.09 out of my wife's Scat Charger (removed and replaced under warranty) that my buddy kept from going to the scrap yard (factory didn't want it back...my win!). Since HPT wouldn't change any of the settings (except the gear ratio) in the factory TCM...I have no idea why :-o...and the factory unit was not taking advantage of my built transmission as it was shifting like mashed potatoes, I had to change diffs so I could reinstall my MTCM to see if shifting was back to normal.

It is I am glad to say. Took just over 4 hours to change the diff in my driveway (ramps and stands) and when I took it out for a test run, she went 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear in the first 100 feet leaving nothing behind but a glorious billow of tire smoke ad two dark stripes....yeah baby!

All in all it's ok as the 2.62 gears weren't to my liking...although shifting out of 2nd gear at nearly 70mph was fun. Fuel mileage was no better than the 3.06's I took out and I think most of that was because of too much TC slippage. My commute is 37 miles with 30 traffic lights...so lots of stop and go. Maybe if I'd gotten it out on a highway trip I'd have seen a difference, but no big deal...I love the 3.09's!

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by THXDEAR426 View Post
    Thanks. I ended up removing the HC 2.62 diff and installed a 3.09 out of my wife's Scat Charger (removed and replaced under warranty) that my buddy kept from going to the scrap yard (factory didn't want it back...my win!). Since HPT wouldn't change any of the settings (except the gear ratio) in the factory TCM...I have no idea why :-o...and the factory unit was not taking advantage of my built transmission as it was shifting like mashed potatoes, I had to change diffs so I could reinstall my MTCM to see if shifting was back to normal.

It is I am glad to say. Took just over 4 hours to change the diff in my driveway (ramps and stands) and when I took it out for a test run, she went 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear in the first 100 feet leaving nothing behind but a glorious billow of tire smoke ad two dark stripes....yeah baby!

All in all it's ok as the 2.62 gears weren't to my liking...although shifting out of 2nd gear at nearly 70mph was fun. Fuel mileage was no better than the 3.06's I took out and I think most of that was because of too much TC slippage. My commute is 37 miles with 30 traffic lights...so lots of stop and go. Maybe if I'd gotten it out on a highway trip I'd have seen a difference, but no big deal...I love the 3.09's!
    Ok so when you 1st swapped the factory gear with the 2.62 gear from the hellcat did you have to change out the rear cradle? I recently purchased a 3.70 gear and axles from a hellcat challenger and i was told i would have to change out the rear cradle suspension for this diff to fit in my 06 charger srt

Tuner in Training
    Ok so when you 1st swapped the factory gear with the 2.62 gear from the hellcat did you have to change out the rear cradle? I recently purchased a 3.70 gear and axles from a hellcat challenger and i was told i would have to change out the rear cradle suspension for this diff to fit in my 06 charger srt
    I had a 3.09 diff out of my wifes 16 scat Pack Charger and wanted that in the car. The 13 SRT Getrag that was in the car has a single mounting point on the front of the diff while the new diff has two.
    Having read a bunch on this site and other ones, I figured the only way to make sure the installation was sound was to swap in a whole rear cradle. So that's what I did. Maybe others who have done this could fab some fancy bracketry, but I didn't want to do that.

I found a whole rear cradle with shocks, brakes and all on Cleveland Power and Performance site and bought that. Install was a snap especially with the DSS one piece aluminum driveshaft.

Hope this helps.

Potential Tuner
    It does thanks.... ive been on clevelandpap for a good while looking for a full rear suspension but yet to find one.... i have found a guy with just the frame and lower control arms and i was going to either purchase the parts to build it back or add my factory springs and shock to the new one

what kind of changes have you noticed a the track with just the sway?

Tuner in Training
    It does thanks.... ive been on clevelandpap for a good while looking for a full rear suspension but yet to find one.... i have found a guy with just the frame and lower control arms and i was going to either purchase the parts to build it back or add my factory springs and shock to the new one

what kind of changes have you noticed a the track with just the sway?
    You can check for parts on LXForums.com too as I know there have been some Scat Pack cradles for sale recently.

I haven't been to the track yet but I can tell the handling seems tighter with the heavier sway out back. I used my Nivomats and springs as I didn't know what the HC electronic shocks would be like without being able to adjust the setting on them.