Thread: Remote start ON/OFF

Remote start ON/OFF

On another post we drifted into this subject. Can we turn remote start on and off?

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    If your truck came with remote start fobs, then it should work. You most likely have dtc stored causing it to not work.
    Ah, the plot thickens. It did not come with the fob. I "negotiated" with the dealer at purchase. It had no fob and just one key. I said I wanted the remote locks capability or, no deal. He said OK and that it had to be programed for it (the fob). I only mentioned remote locks. I didn't say anything about remote start. Looks like my bad.The remote start has never worked. The locks work fine. Is there a Body Control Module reference? It seems like I have the ability to adjust remote start. I think I have seen in the posts here however, just because we have the "screen" doesn't necessarily mean the ECU has it. I have read in other publications the GMC trucks all used the same ECU and ECU capability,unlike the Chevy's. In other word's Denali down to fleet truck, same ECU. I do not know if that is true. I did read it in a reputable periodical. If that's the case the remote start "on" switch might be elsewhere.
    Last edited by Robert C Morgillo; 09-27-2017 at 07:47 AM.

Hi Bob,
    The way I understand it:
    IF the vehicle was not a smart key vehicle but did come with the AQQ option (remote keyless entry) you can order GM# 22997089 which comes with remotes, hood latch (with switch to tell the BCM that the hood is closed), and an authorization number to get GM to switch calibrations in their database for your BCM so that you can use SPS programming to add remote start to your BCM.

There are also guys out there selling a "plug and play" module that works with the factory system and remotes to get remote start functioning. I don't know as much about that deal.

Thanks Jeff! So its seems that it works with the BCM. It looks like it is the hood switch that is the key to it. For what I am doing, not required. It could be fun however!

Looks like a genuine PIA.

GM# 22997089 This kit adds remote start to vehicles without option BTV. The vehicle must also have AQQ and an Automatic Transmission. Both can be verified by using GM Vehicle Init quiry System (GMVIS). For proper operation of the remote vehicle start system, a hood status-switch equipped hood latch is required. For light duty trucks, a jumper harness addition is also required in order to complete circuit 109, Hood Status Signal to the Body Control Module. Adding remote vehicle start also requires programming of the vehicle. This is done using the Service Programming System. The installer must call TCSC (1-888-337-1010) to obtain a VCI number. The TCSC will provide a Vehicle Configuration Index (VCI). The VCI is good for only one specific Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). You must have the vehicle’s VIN that will be upgraded and the Authorization Code from the label on the Installation Instruction Sheet included with the kit. This will allow you to access the software to enable the remote vehicle start option.
    Must have:
    Scan Tool (with capability of communicating on GMLAN)
    Service Programming System (SPS – TIS2WEB, or equivalent)

Not sure what these tools are.
    Last edited by Robert C Morgillo; 09-27-2017 at 06:12 PM.

A lot of guys used to get by doing diagnostics and SPS programming with a Tech2 but not on GEN5s. For GEN5s an MDI (or MongooseGM Pro) is required to diagnose, communicate with, or program other modules.

As far as the kit, you can get away with tricking the BCM about the hood switch but you still have to get GM to switch you over to remote-start in their database in order to be able to download the remote-start option from them into your BCM. The kit comes with the right to have them switch you over. You can always try calling TCSC at the number listed and see if they are willing to switch you over or how much they charge directly. You will still need a dealer or somebody with an MDI to download the new system to your BCM. Dealerships that are up on this stuff offer specials with installation and programming. You might find a well equipped accessory shop with these abilities. Too bad I am no where near. I would be happy to do it.

Thanks Jeff! If you were closer we would have this thing race ready!

You are welcome Bob. I have one of my client's 2015 Yukon Denali 6.2s for a few days. Hope to have a chance to apply more of what we have been learning. He is overwhelmed with the power it makes now....but I can't leave it alone can I?-)