Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stock VVT cam tuning help needed for modified Ly6 (Engine swapped into a Kia Sorento

Tuner
    Damn...
    I did everything you suggested but i couldnt get any log data above 3800 on the chart except for the small area between 95 - 100 kpa and even then it only barley touches 4800. I really need to be able to hold a gear long enough to reach those other areas. I dont think this is enough data.
    Here is the table though. I will need to put some work into my CAN-BUS tap-shift controller ASAP!!

VVE Log Table.png

WOW! Looks to me like you filled up the table really well. You can apply that to your VVE tables for sure....up to 3800.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by IARLLC View Post
    WOW! Looks to me like you filled up the table really well. You can apply that to your VVE tables for sure....up to 3800.
    Oh wow so it didnt turn out that bad? Ok I will apply those to the table and see what happens. Should I half the values like i read in the VVE instructions on the HP Tuners help guide or just put the numbers directly in from the STFT + LTFT table?

Tuner
    Oh and from what i am gathering the numbers from the log are a % of correction? So i would take for example...

1,200rpm @ 57.5kpa which is listed as "16" on the LOG and make a +16% correction to the VVE table?

The VVE table lists "1855" as the value so i would add 16% onto it making it now 2151 is that correct?

The goal for this table and the MAF table is to have a correction factor between 0 and -4 (I prefer -2 or -3). Basically you program very slightly rich and the O2s correct. If you program lean, the correction will be a positive number in closed loop which will carry over into power enrichment/open loop making it inaccurate.

Many people apply the whole amount on the first pass then apply half on the next pass and so on. There is some kind of paste special that allows you to apply those numbers directly to the VVE tables. I am not sure about that. Since I am aiming at -2...if the log shows -6 on the first pass I want to lose 4% in that cell....so I multiply that cell x.96. If a log cell says 15% I might multiply x1.16 or x1.17. I pay close attention to trends. If a certain cell does not make sense I pay more attention to its neighbors...But if the next log shows it still needs a larger correction I make a larger correction. Blank cells can go a logical direction by using the "smooth between" or "interpolate between" tools above. Your table is starting out pretty close so you will probably have it smooth and accurate within no time.

Just remember to make these changes to your VVE tune or even as your "VVE 1st attempt" table so that accidentally going the wrong direction can quickly be corrected

Tuner
    The goal for this table and the MAF table is to have a correction factor between 0 and -4 (I prefer -2 or -3). Basically you program very slightly rich and the O2s correct. If you program lean, the correction will be a positive number in closed loop which will carry over into power enrichment/open loop making it inaccurate.

Many people apply the whole amount on the first pass then apply half on the next pass and so on. There is some kind of paste special that allows you to apply those numbers directly to the VVE tables. I am not sure about that. Since I am aiming at -2...if the log shows -6 on the first pass I want to lose 4% in that cell....so I multiply that cell x.96. If a log cell says 15% I might multiply x1.16 or x1.17. I pay close attention to trends. If a certain cell does not make sense I pay more attention to its neighbors...But if the next log shows it still needs a larger correction I make a larger correction. Blank cells can go a logical direction by using the "smooth between" or "interpolate between" tools above. Your table is starting out pretty close so you will probably have it smooth and accurate within no time.

Just remember to make these changes to your VVE tune or even as your "VVE 1st attempt" table so that accidentally going the wrong direction can quickly be corrected
    Awesome! Thanks for the tip!! Thanks so much for all the help in fact!!

Oh man! I just realized that I forgot an important step. It is best to copy your SPARK - ADVANCE - High Octane table to your Low Octane table during VVE logging. If I remember right it uses the low octane table when the MAF is off...so best to have it using the preferred timing numbers for logging. SORRY! You can still go ahead and apply the last log as suggested just need to add this step to your next VVE log.

Don't forget to put the lower table back when you go back to normal....but we will cover that then.

Tuner
    Oh man! I just realized that I forgot an important step. It is best to copy your SPARK - ADVANCE - High Octane table to your Low Octane table during VVE logging. If I remember right it uses the low octane table when the MAF is off...so best to have it using the preferred timing numbers for logging. SORRY! You can still go ahead and apply the last log as suggested just need to add this step to your next VVE log.

Don't forget to put the lower table back when you go back to normal....but we will cover that then.
    Oh ok! Will do! Thanks for the help. I sent you a PM regarding the mathematics of the tables.

So after all this time pecking through one cell at a time I finally looked at how people do it faster....so easy! Just copy the whole logged table (MAF,VVE, or even Knock Retard) than choose that exact area in your tune, right click, under paste special is multiply by % and multiply by % -half. As you read somewhere else, multiply by % -half should be used when you are closing in on perfection. That was really easy and fast. A couple of issues with this method though....
    1. You need a very well filled in log in order to end up with good results. You can blend/smooth with those functions but let's say your log at 50 cyl airmass 1000 RPM cell is 4 (which will result in a nice -2 when applied) and your 50 cyl airmass 1200 did not have any log results this time around (but it needs 4% added) and your 50 cyl airmass 1400 cell is 4 (which will result in a nice -2 when applied). So you paste special multiply by %....resulting in the a very nice -2 for 1000 and -2 for 1400....what now? Somebody might suggest the "smoothing" option....but that would bring 1000 and 1400 down in order to bring 1200 up. Instead, interpolating between must be used in the exact position to keep from messing up the two correct cells while bringing the one between them much closer. Not sure if I explained my thoughts well but I bet you get the idea.
    2. I am not aiming at 0% correction... I want about -2%. I guess it is possible to log and paste and smooth/interpolate until you get really close to 0 then multiply the whole thing x98.

Anyway, those are a couple of thoughts. All of us come up with a way that we prefer to do it eventually. We finished getting this Gen5 6.2 back together today so tomorrow I will have a chance to try out these methods and see if it gets my customers a better product or saves me time providing it
    Last edited by IARLLC; 10-05-2017 at 03:12 PM.

Tuner
    I did want to ask one thing i wasnt sure about... When doing the VVE log drive (MAF "off") should i be doing light throttle accelerations and on deceleration give it some throttle while coming to a stop (brakes and some throttle) to avoid it dropping to idle when coming to a stop? should i make any hard accelerations?
    Just trying to make sure i nail this down the correct way.
    Man i wish i had a dyno. It would make this way easier! haha

Tuner
    Also, if you dont mind me asking, what is the name of your shop?

I don't give more than about half throttle during VE/VVE tuning...whatever it takes to try to fill in the table pretty well. I prefer to hold a 6 speed in 2nd or 3rd to have pretty good control over RPM and load. Working smoothly you don't need the brakes too much but I do usually just barely touch the gas during decel to keep more control over mixture/O2 temps. OK, well maybe it is pretty hard on the brakes.

I just finished the GEN5 Yukon Denali. I did not have the energy to try several phases with the cam. I have a GEN4 L96 Suburban coming pretty soon and I have quite a bit more freedom with that vehicle so I will be able to try everything

My company is International Automotive Resources LLC. The website used to be pretty cool, even three languages, then about 7 years ago Microsoft switched over to their 365 system and lost everything they were hosting for us By then I was way too busy to care about advertising...but it sucked to lose all that work none the less.

Tuner
    I don't give more than about half throttle during VE/VVE tuning...whatever it takes to try to fill in the table pretty well. I prefer to hold a 6 speed in 2nd or 3rd to have pretty good control over RPM and load. Working smoothly you don't need the brakes too much but I do usually just barely touch the gas during decel to keep more control over mixture/O2 temps. OK, well maybe it is pretty hard on the brakes.

I just finished the GEN5 Yukon Denali. I did not have the energy to try several phases with the cam. I have a GEN4 L96 Suburban coming pretty soon and I have quite a bit more freedom with that vehicle so I will be able to try everything

My company is International Automotive Resources LLC. The website used to be pretty cool, even three languages, then about 7 years ago Microsoft switched over to their 365 system and lost everything they were hosting for us By then I was way too busy to care about advertising...but it sucked to lose all that work none the less.
    Thanks for the info. I will give the VVE map another try with the spark table copied over.

If you need any help on the website let me know. Being disabled at 37 drives me completely stir crazy man! If I am not doing something i want to go mad!

Thanks a lot for the offer! We just left the site when it flopped. Word of mouth is the best. We liked the impression that the site gave people but honestly we have way more work than we can do...and my family is showing interest in having me home more than 7 or 8 hours/day...so far. If I keep up this rate they might change their minds.

I know this is an older post but just wanted to give you couple guys in this exchange a shout-out. I just read through all 3 pages of this and I just fried my brain learning this process! Even as an exchange like this, it was so easy to understand and I really appreciate you guys being so thorough! This post alone is going to help me tremendously in the next few weeks tuning my L96.

Thanks a ton!
    -Dan

Right on Dan!
    Yeah, L96 stuff is extremely similar to LY6. There is quite a bit more to improve after you finish the processes referred to here....this is just to clean things up/refine the airflow models.
    Enjoy the ride!

Hey guys,
    Maybe I missed it, but on page two you guy talk about tuning the MAF After the VVE. Is there any reason as to why to do one before the other? Also is there a good write-up that either of you know of to do such procedure? Thanks in advance!

Hi Dan,
    Maybe I am wrong but I think the idea is that you have to disable the MAF in order to do a good job on the VVE. But once the VVE is done you should be able to dial in the MAF with the VVE blended in. I think that it is probably best to dial each of them in with the other disabled but if the VVE is really well done, you can do the MAF with the VVE engaged....but that does not mean that I always do it that way...

That makes a lot of good sense. Thanks for the clarification!

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LSxPoweredSorento View Post
    Hello everyone!
    I have been running the Ly6 in my Sorento for a while now. I was attributing the high RPM power brake up to a possible fuel pressure issue. I now have a fully capable pump and pressure regulator but still have the issue.
    It basically falls on it's face above maybe 4k. If I let off the throttle a little it actually feels faster!!
    I had been suggested that it was possibly VVT timing related?
    A few posts stated they had just set their timing on the big table (high throttle VVT timing table under "AirFlow" tab on HPtuners) to 0 and then 1* at like 2800 smoothed to 12* at 6k. I gave it a shot and it seemed to work better.
    However I want to dial this in the right way...
    My Ly6 has an Ls3 intake, 90mm DBW throttle body, 4" cold air intake, 1-3/4 primary shorty headers w/v-bands that dump into 3" dual exhaust, stays true dual to a Magnaflow X-Flow muffler which then dumps out the side of the Sorento (3" pipe won't go over the rear axle now that it's lowered 4")

If anyone could make a suggestion or perhaps share their tables? I would very much appreciate it!

I was adjusting the "Intake Camshaft Base Angle". I read this was the tab.... However, I see under "Spark" tab there is a "Variable Cam" area too (VCP Spark).

These pictures are of the tables that were setup by a guy that did a "running/driving" tune for me based on engine and modifications. It wasn't meant to be a performance tune and i have had to make some changes just to get it reliably driveable auto clicker. These don't show the changes i made while tinkering with things.

Attachment 73880

Attachment 73881

Attachment 73882

Attachment 73883
    As you are coming up lean with both tunes you might be right about the fuel pressure. Best to check fuel pressure both at idle and full throttle/high load & rpm. This is a very high priority at this point. I saw one other strange thing happen on the Camaro tune log...there were a couple of moments at full throttle/high load when the O2 sensors showed more fuel was making it in. It was almost as if fuel was sloshing away from the fuel pick-up in the tank. Not sure on that, just seemed like a possible reason.
    Last edited by citlalli1972; 02-21-2020 at 05:53 AM.