Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GMTech's cam tables

Tuner in Training

GMTech's cam tables

Does anyone have the pictures of those cam tables saved anywhere? They aren't being hosted anymore.

Advanced Tuner
    I?m pretty sure it?s because he took them down because he was sick of Tuners stealing his work and then using it to make a profit. I could be wrong, but I?m pretty sure that was why.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    that is the main reason his descriptive posts in general have been removed. Its not just tune files or pictures of tables, it also includes full blown write-ups. if you weren't around when he was heavily active like myself...your definitely going to be short on reading material.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

That's too bad. I enjoyed reading his posts.

Tuning Addict
    I noticed John hasn't been around in about a month or so - has he left? I haven't checked to see if any of his other post were gone or not...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Usually Johns reads stuff in spare time. He comes by to say hi and spew some occasional knowledge. I dont know him well enough to know if he is still around, but i would assume hes just around doing other projects. He did post last month on something.
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 09-29-2017 at 10:29 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Last I knew he was posting in the V8 section, and doesn?t frequent here too much. He?s always busy as far as I know, but if you have a question, post it directly to him, or send him a PM. He?s always nice and helpful until people starting spewing off at the mouth, and then he doesn?t want to help. Can?t blame him there.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    I noticed John hasn't been around in about a month or so - has he left? I haven't checked to see if any of his other post were gone or not...
    He does that lol
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Tuner in Training
    Well, this is kind of a bummer. He certainly has plenty out there to read, but it's hard to put into practice when the pictures he's referencing are missing. I totally understand the reasoning though. I'm working through a cold start issue on my LNF where anytime the temps dip below 50f the car wants to stumble and die for several seconds before it catches it's breath and figures it's life out, this is with cat warmup disabled. I'm thinking about reenabling cat warmup since winter is right around the corner.

Tuner in Training
    Does it stumble after the idle drops after the ECT has warmed up? I'm new and collecting some tips for doing a few things like disable cat warmup.

Tuner in Training
    No, it stumbles immediately after startup for about 10 seconds. Eventually it figures things out and the idle stabilizes. I've been told that the DAL table can be manipulated down in the idle area to help fix it. I've also been told it can be cam setting issues causing it. There are a lot of factors involved in getting a nice smooth, consistent idle. It only does this when the coolant temp is 50 degrees or below on startup. It started great during the summer when the temps were warmer. Things are cooling down here in Wisconsin.

Jaizero you should program the cams into full separation at idle and use the Dal and ignition to smooth the rpm wave in the scanner out. to figure out what idle advance i want to run i use the commanded ignition tool in the scanner and adjust it until its at a desirable position. the dals take a little more work since RTT isnt available for these ecu's.

Advanced Tuner
    What about your ECT spark table (I forget the name of it)? Is it adding or pulling timing at that coolant temp and below?

Tuner in Training
    JustinZ54e47-Final-2.hpt

That table is neither adding nor subtracting timing at that temp. It's set to zero. I've attached my tune to illustrate.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    Jaizero you should program the cams into full separation at idle and use the Dal and ignition to smooth the rpm wave in the scanner out. to figure out what idle advance i want to run i use the commanded ignition tool in the scanner and adjust it until its at a desirable position. the dals take a little more work since RTT isnt available for these ecu's.
    Not sure what the commanded ignition tool is. I searched around for something with a similar name, but found nothing.

Tuner in Training
    I've attached a short log of the startup where it stumbles a bit. The timing goes negative where the dip in RPM occurs, after it warms up a bit the timing stays positive and smooths out. Why would timing go negative, I'm not commanding negative timing anywhere?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Then it?s just how you have the tables setup. Getting the tables right with cat warmup off is hard. I can?t give you an exact because I can?t see how your tune is setup, and even if I could, unless you tune like me in the idle range, then it could be way different. My best guess is how the tables are setup. Idle is a pain to get right. I have a write up on idle though I think, if you want to read that and see if it helps any.

Tuner in Training
    I?ve read your idle tuning post and tried some of your suggestions. I can?t figure out why the car tries to idle down so fast. The timing goes negative which causes the idle to drop too low. I?ve added timing to the ECT spark table and even bumped up optimum spark but nothing helps. I?m also confused as to why it only happens in cold weather.

Advanced Tuner
    Idle is by far the hardest thing to control because it is such a light load and little things affect it. I spent countless hours in day, and days in weeks, and weeks in months, all while bouncing ideas back and forth with a good buddy of mine trying to figure it out. I?ve come up with a few different things that work, but each car is different, and so many things can change it that I usually stick with stock idle (with some minor table changes) on my prior customer cars. It keeps the headach away from them and me when they are frustrated something changed and they are wanting it retuned. I always kept it tuned on mine, but I also tuned daily. Without being local, or seeing what you are doing I can?t offer much more than just keep at it and I?m sure you?ll get it. Good luck.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM173 View Post
    Idle is by far the hardest thing to control because it is such a light load and little things affect it. I spent countless hours in day, and days in weeks, and weeks in months, all while bouncing ideas back and forth with a good buddy of mine trying to figure it out. I?ve come up with a few different things that work, but each car is different, and so many things can change it that I usually stick with stock idle (with some minor table changes) on my prior customer cars. It keeps the headach away from them and me when they are frustrated something changed and they are wanting it retuned. I always kept it tuned on mine, but I also tuned daily. Without being local, or seeing what you are doing I can?t offer much more than just keep at it and I?m sure you?ll get it. Good luck.

Roger that.. I'm thinking I'll just head back to the stock warm up tables and reenable cat warmup. I personally don't mind it, I just hate to be so noisy in the morning for my neighbors lol..