Thread: '17 A10 ZL1 Dyno

Tuner in Training

'17 A10 ZL1 Dyno

Anyone had any issues with these on the dyno not making anywhere near the power they should, even bone stock?

Customer dropped off his car for some headers/pulley/cold air and we made a couple baseline pulls for him. Didn't log anything yet because we weren't tuning it until later but in 7th (1:1) it only made 480RWHP. It did make 536RWTQ which is right around where I would expect it to be. Haven't had a '17 on the dyno yet but all of the Z06's we have done were in the 545 range stock on our dyno which obviously makes much more sense.

Anyone got a thought?

I have had a few on our dynojet. Generally they make around 530whp and 570wtq. Autos and manuals are within 10 of each other. Check and see that the stock filter isn't collapsing. Also what is the cam doing during a run? big error?

Senior Tuner
    how many miles are on it?
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Yeah it should be up there a lot closer to 550 rwhp. Log manifold air temp and intake variable cam parameters. Also if it has crappy gas in it, power will be down and knock will be up. Lots of variables to consider.
    www.crawford-racing.com
    Home of the original and best selling CR-Fueler plug and play port injection controller kits for all GM Gen V direct injection platforms.

Tuner in Training
    Logged it the other day. KR was pretty minimal, manifold temp wasn't anything out of the ordinary.

Funny thing was on the pull I made the next day it ran great up until 5900 RPM, it then dropped like a stone and carried along the same HP line it was on before. Up until that point it had made 522 and was on it's way to 545ish if you carried the line out.

I will get it back on the dyno and save the log this time to upload.

Oh and it has right around 5K miles.

Tuning Addict
    With it doing that - pay close attention to cam timing
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner in Training
    Did one recently, stock it made 579hp/583tq corrected numbers on mustang dyno. Was done in 7th gear 2500-6200.

Quote Originally Posted by white97z28 View Post
    Logged it the other day. KR was pretty minimal, manifold temp wasn't anything out of the ordinary.

Funny thing was on the pull I made the next day it ran great up until 5900 RPM, it then dropped like a stone and carried along the same HP line it was on before. Up until that point it had made 522 and was on it's way to 545ish if you carried the line out.

I will get it back on the dyno and save the log this time to upload.

Oh and it has right around 5K miles.
    did you make do a new pull on it and log it this time? Curious where this goes as some of these trap 119 mph and others can trap 130 mph stock so other then weather something else is in play on hurting power on them. My car is stock on an 80 degree day went 11.41 123 85 percent humidity and felt flat unfortunately I didnt log my run. Today 70 degrees 65 perrcent humidity driving home I did some logs and going over them I wanted to see how hot it would be on long pulls. Damn thing stayed around 108 iat2 and iat was at 90 so not bad for a couple back to back wot pulls up to 140 ish. What I did see was it exceeding the 835 peak torque briefly and shutting the throttle down as far as 60 percent to lower that torque I assume. No kr during that time and with it at that temp it isnt pulling any timing for the heat. It was at 206 engine temp so pulling 2 degrees there. When you look over the tune there is places all over where it pulls timing so no wonder they are so all over the place for trap speeds stock. I will say today the car felt a lot stronger then when I was at the track so guessing my iat2 at the track being warmer out and running 4 back to back 1/4 mile runs it was probably over 133 iat and 206 engine so taking as much as 5 degrees at 15-20 hp each just guessing as flat as the car felt that day. I wish i had logged it so to know for sure but now curious on this cam thing possibly hurting the car. I am going to do a resistor trick on the iat2 lock it at 100 so it wont pull timing to see if it becomes more consistent to some of these hero runs I see on line. If that is ok might try 50 degrees too and add in 4 degrees of timing to it as think if it doesnt get so hot it will tolerate it with out kr and will add some race gas to be on safe side. The added power it might just close the throttle that much more so could be a waste of time but will see as not ready to void my warranty quite yet as been having some weird cold shifting issues with my trans that bugs me and might take it in and have it checked. Last thing I need is to have some factory screw up in my trans and they tell me to piss off over a tune. Would be my luck......
    First 9 second 6th gen lt4 zl1 stock blower SHC SBE boost only.

2013 cadillac ats 2.0t Big turbo-gone
    2007 tahoe 5.3 lsa blower on 14 lbs boost 6l80e swap 2009 os
    2017 zl1 a10 big gulp/2 inch headers/ 9.55 lower/ e85/bigger hx /103mm tb / Synergy trunk tank and underhood kit/methanol injection with torqbyte controller and prometh pump / Jokerz performance R&D ported stock blower/ lme cnc heads /GP tuning custom cam. So far 9.30@150

Manifold air temp is the one to watch, it is the PID that the ECM uses for the IAT modifier on the LT4 not IAT2. It is a calculation that GM uses.
    I just did a 2018 A10 car, with 6K miles. Baselined at 565 rwhp SAE on a dynojet. We added long tubes headers, cold air, lower pulley and my tuning. Made 647 rwhp/699 twtq on 93 octane, and 676 rwhp/730 rwtq on E50.
    www.crawford-racing.com
    Home of the original and best selling CR-Fueler plug and play port injection controller kits for all GM Gen V direct injection platforms.

Do these A10 cars require much if any touch up to the transmission side of things if you added that say 100whp?

It's just crazy how lighting fast the shifts are from the factory.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by veee8 View Post
    Manifold air temp is the one to watch, it is the PID that the ECM uses for the IAT modifier on the LT4 not IAT2. It is a calculation that GM uses.
    I just did a 2018 A10 car, with 6K miles. Baselined at 565 rwhp SAE on a dynojet. We added long tubes headers, cold air, lower pulley and my tuning. Made 647 rwhp/699 twtq on 93 octane, and 676 rwhp/730 rwtq on E50.
    Yea kinda curious if can do all that and still leave trans side alone. For now just trying to get into the high 10s with it stock even if have to trick it a little and keep it from pulling all that timing when gets warm. As the main timing is conservative I don’t think it needs to start pulling so much around 135 degrees. I guess I need to log that other pod too and see what’s going on before I make that decision. Sure you can commmet on if it can handle that extra 4 degrees but I will also lower engine temp.
    Have you seen any shifting issues making the 3-4 when cold on any cars you have dynoed there? I have had two others say right after start up it won’t make a 3-4 with out hitting the limited when cold. Problem was mainly at track when trying to let it be cool as possible to make a run. Seeing this happen is that the shift tht was giving the nitrous car issues before you could tune the tcm?
    Thanks Chris.
    First 9 second 6th gen lt4 zl1 stock blower SHC SBE boost only.

2013 cadillac ats 2.0t Big turbo-gone
    2007 tahoe 5.3 lsa blower on 14 lbs boost 6l80e swap 2009 os
    2017 zl1 a10 big gulp/2 inch headers/ 9.55 lower/ e85/bigger hx /103mm tb / Synergy trunk tank and underhood kit/methanol injection with torqbyte controller and prometh pump / Jokerz performance R&D ported stock blower/ lme cnc heads /GP tuning custom cam. So far 9.30@150

There are some limiters that I change, among some other changes in the TCM including shift points if needed. Shift speed is about spot on from the factory they are quite fast. The torque converter is very nice as well.
    www.crawford-racing.com