Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I may of hurt the engine???

Advanced Tuner

I may of hurt the engine???

I am running a 2.75 pulley with the JBA high flow catalytic converters. I switched to 1050IDs and had her remotely tuned. All seemed fine with no misses, etc. Then I noticed at idle the exhaust was not flowing well at all from the passenger side. This was coupled with misfiring when I would press the accelerator 20 percent down or more. The car would jerk and misfire. Just cruising, etc. was fine. No internal engine noise. It turned out that I dislodged the passenger side cat right into the X pipe. I bought the off road JBA pipe and had it installed. I thought this would cure everything. It cured the blockage. But now I still have that misfire on modest to hard acceleration. It idles fine. No internal engine noise. Sporadic P0300 code will pop up. But that is about it. I am bringing her to the mechanic next week. He said he is going to run a smoke test to see if a ring busted or if an exhaust valve burnt up. He thinks maybe the fuel backed up and I could of fouled out the stock iridium plugs. We have the brisk silvers going in at one step cooler. They are gapped at .028. I assume we should leave them there even though stock hellcats are gapped in the low 30s. Also it seems coincidental with the new 1050 injectors that this is happening. So this is a mystery to me. I know I backed up the engine with boost since the cat got lodged in the x pipe. So I could of hurt her?
    2016 Hellcat Challenger, automatic, black on black with brass monkey wheels

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet
    2.75 pulley, tune, drag radials. 10 percent lower od crank pulley, 1050 ix. off road mid pipe. tune

Fingers crossed you didn't. You can actually log per cylinder misfire events on the scanner itself. If one cylinder is recording more misfires then the others then sadly it might be a busted ring, or a better yet a spark plug gap closed under the back pressure and heat.

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Telephone: +965-55446651
    Email: [email protected]
    Instagram

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mep_q8 View Post
    Fingers crossed you didn't. You can actually log per cylinder misfire events on the scanner itself. If one cylinder is recording more misfires then the others then sadly it might be a busted ring, or a better yet a spark plug gap closed under the back pressure and heat.

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet
    2.75 pulley, tune, drag radials. 10 percent lower od crank pulley, 1050 ix. off road mid pipe. tune

Advanced Tuner
    I still have HP tuners and connected the scanner. It was showing zero misfires. The only time the misfire code goes on is under fairly heavy acceleration and the yellow engine light flickers and then goes off. On the steering column I can click on diagnostics. None show. When I hook up the Diablo Trinity it shows a P0300. I hooked up the hp tuners scanner and I did not see anything. But I did not log under heavy load. It seems like it does it more in the higher gears. Probably due to the higher load. The engine purrs. If a ring land is broken would it still idle nicely and rev cleanly in park?

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet

Sounds like all it needs is a set of new plugs. I mean they do have 16 spark plugs for a reason and I've been faced with the same symptoms with only 1 spark plug out of 16 being bad.

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Instagram

Advanced Tuner
    I appreciate your insight and hopefully that is all it needs. I ordered the brisk 14YS silver plugs pre gapped at .028. They are one step colder and gapped a little tighter than stock. .031 stock. My mechanic is taking the car in Thursday morning. He said he is going to do a smoke test first. I think that analyzes the rear air to see if there are symptoms of internal engine damage. Then a visual inspection of the injectors. Then the plug change. If the engine is not damaged and the new plugs do not work we will re install the stock injectors. If that works then of course the injectors will be off to injector dynamics for a cure. I will let you know this Friday.

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet

You should be able to tell the difference in banks if the injectors are bad. Expect to see a 0.3-0.4ms difference on one bank compared to the other at all times. So far I've had great luck with IDs.

Either way goodluck, hope all fairs out!

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Instagram

Advanced Tuner
    I will have you remotely tune it after it is fixed.

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusG8 View Post
    If a ring land is broken would it still idle nicely and rev cleanly in park?
    Yes.
    Specializing in building and tuning 1000hp, daily driven, 9 second cars!

www.ostdyno.com Shop Phone: 724-368-9000

Advanced Tuner
    Mike, would it throw any DTCs or blow a lot of smoke out the exhaust? I do not think any sensors are attached here regarding broken ring lands. Except for the P0300 and specific misfires.

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusG8 View Post
    Mike, would it throw any DTCs or blow a lot of smoke out the exhaust? I do not think any sensors are attached here regarding broken ring lands. Except for the P0300 and specific misfires.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "sensors are attached here regarding broken ring lands" but I have seen engines with broken ring lands run great, not throw any codes and even pass a compression test. One set of smashed ground straps on a cylinders spark plugs and there is a good chance you have a broken piston. If more than just the ring land is broken off a part of the piston top then it will push oil out the exhaust and most likely fail a leakdown test.
    Specializing in building and tuning 1000hp, daily driven, 9 second cars!

www.ostdyno.com Shop Phone: 724-368-9000

Advanced Tuner
    Not good. Both ground electrodes melted. The mechanic did a leak down test. He said the heads and valves were good. However now I am constantly pulling timing and on hard wot throttle I see the check engine light come on momentarily. It does not store the code. But it is a slight miss. I probably have a slightly damaged piston.
    Attached Images Attached Images

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet

So here's the hard part, figuring out the events that brought this all up. What changed on the car? It's pretty rare to have a cat come loose and jam into the pipe, COT off in the tune? Was that side running lean to melt the cat out? Did the plugs melt, I saw someone mention that with heat and backpressure the plug would close gap...? Usually they expand, so did it move enough to be hit...doubtful, did it melt off from being lean? Maybe piston failure and a piece hit the plug, but both? Can your tech snap some cylinder pics with a borescope?

Advanced Tuner
    The CAT over temperature was turned off. It is mostly my fault. I suggested it to the remote tuner. He did not object and obliged. It really runs strong considering it has a momentary miss in third gear once in a while and is pulling from 3-5 degrees timing on wot even at 12 degrees. I ran 10.56 at 133 at 5900 feet DA before these bad events. It feels like it is faster than that now with a possibly hurt engine which is strange. I do know in the morning the car does not like the Brisk racing silver plugs. When left over night outside the rpms go up and down for 20 seconds before stabilizing. It does not do it during the day. Also the tuner said this all happened when the ID1050s were installed. So ID states not to send in the one in which the ground electrode melted. But to send in the whole batch. They said because I ran E85 for a short time I could of picked up crud since the car is not a flex fuel vehicle. The mechanic did a leak down test. But not a compression check. He wants the car back for more tests.

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet

Soooooo, non-flex fuel vehicles auto generate crud if you run E85...haha. I have COT off in my tune on my personal car as well...with stock cats. Never seen one melt. In my opinion, send the injectors to another company. Send all 8 and say, flow these for me. They won't know which injector is which, you number them so you know the one that came out of that cylinder and ask them not to loose track of the numbers, then ask if it was clogged with "crud" or faulty injector. My reasoning for this is no injector company is going to admit a faulty injector just cost you an engine, once they have them, they can wipe their hands of it and say, "yep, full of crud and clogged", and how would you know? Also if you look through this here forum, you wouldn't be the first to have a data issue with ID's. Not pointing blame at the injectors saying that's it, case closed, just cover your ass, the injectors could be perfectly fine, but again it seems there is a data issue going as I've seen many times ID's going in, weird problems, Rich/Lean stumbles, put stock injectors and data back in, car runs fine.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Bee View Post
    Soooooo, non-flex fuel vehicles auto generate crud if you run E85...haha. I have COT off in my tune on my personal car as well...with stock cats. Never seen one melt. In my opinion, send the injectors to another company. Send all 8 and say, flow these for me. They won't know which injector is which, you number them so you know the one that came out of that cylinder and ask them not to loose track of the numbers, then ask if it was clogged with "crud" or faulty injector. My reasoning for this is no injector company is going to admit a faulty injector just cost you an engine, once they have them, they can wipe their hands of it and say, "yep, full of crud and clogged", and how would you know? Also if you look through this here forum, you wouldn't be the first to have a data issue with ID's. Not pointing blame at the injectors saying that's it, case closed, just cover your ass, the injectors could be perfectly fine, but again it seems there is a data issue going as I've seen many times ID's going in, weird problems, Rich/Lean stumbles, put stock injectors and data back in, car runs fine.

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet

Tuner in Training
    I know this is off topic but this seems to be the thread getting a response. why would my air flow go up and down like it does at the end of the log at wot from time frame 15:50 -16:10.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by RickyP; 10-10-2017 at 04:50 PM.

Tuner
    Careful with trying that ive found out alot of companies will not flow test or clean other big name companies injectors. Just fyi.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottyb_288 View Post
    Careful with trying that ive found out alot of companies will not flow test or clean other big name companies injectors. Just fyi.
    Who has given you trouble with that Scottyb? Usually anyone with an injector flow bench is always ready for $$

Tuner
    ID and FIC both have. Not necessarily trouble but both said that since it wasnt their injectors they couldnt flow test or clean them. So i found a somewhat local shop to do it. I just figured id give a heads up.
    Last edited by Scottyb_288; 11-29-2017 at 06:00 PM.