Thread: TCC ? Converter locked?

Tuner in Training

TCC ? Converter locked?

Good day all, I swapped a 5.3 / 4L60 trans into a S10
    Have idle down to 710-720. But I can still feel it pulling, just touching the gas
    results in instant forward motion, not slippage is detected? Going from Park to gear results in a non u-joint friendly jerk.
    I have my TCC wire wired to brake switch so it has constant 12 then in grounds when brakes are applied.
    I have read and been told this is how it is done? Not 100% sure that's right or if I have other issue.
    Trans shifts hard?

I don't see how or where to test this in HPtuners. Can anyone walk me thru it?
    Thanks guys.

**UPdate yes found TCC ON OFF in scanner, turned OFF with truck in gear...she stalled. Must be working. But I am thinking now I must need to adjust slippage rate?
    Motor and trans came out of full size truck, perhaps I need to adjust for smaller truck?
    Last edited by SilverZ06; 10-01-2017 at 04:14 PM.

Senior Tuner
    I don't think you understand what converter locking is. Locking occurs in 3rd and 4th gear while at cruise to eliminate all converter slip mechanically coupling the engine to the transmission input shaft.

Tuner in Training
    So why is it wired to your brake switch?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverZ06 View Post
    So why is it wired to your brake switch?
    To disengage when brakes are applied while cruising. The amount a converter slips is fixed by the way it is built and the internal parts used. It is not something you can adjust. There is something called TCC slip but that is to make the apply and release of converter lock up less noticeable. Has nothing to do with converter looseness at idle or when stopped and brakes released.
    Last edited by 2xLS1; 10-01-2017 at 06:08 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Ok so what is my issue? Why is truck pulling away at 700 RPM like it has no converter slippage?
    I've had automatics all my life and never had this that bad? Is it possible I just have a tight converter?
    Trans and converter where not behind this motor, I purchased them separately. I do appreciate your input and knowledge.
    If I let my foot off the brake, I'm going to instantly rear end car in front of me? I can't really go lower on idle? 700 is pretty low.