Thread: 4l80e stalls while in drive but not in reverse ??

Tuner in Training

4l80e stalls while in drive but not in reverse ??

5.3 ls on 4l80e with segment swap tcc lock up issue
    Like title says 5.3 on 4l80e with segment swap under same OS# the transmission goes into gear fine but once it gets warm itll stall when i place it in drive. My reverse works with no problem its just my drive that stalls. I did the vss and iss and repinned the main transmission connector. Now i am getting a p1810 pending history and a 1860 and pending current on my hp tuner scanner. When the transmission does work it runs through gears as it should to include down shift but then after it warms up itll stall at idle in drive. I also dis a tcc lock up test i placed it in drive ( when the torque converter wasnt locked one day) and i manually activated the tcc solenoid and it stalled the engine so it seems that commanding it does work could it be the transmission pressure switch causing the torque converter to lock ?
    Will a sonnxx boost valve help and can it be installed while by just dropping the pan? Also one last thing will a 2006 4l80e tranny work with my setup i know the range sensor is different but im assuming my 2003 range sensor will bolt right on thankyou in advance

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy86 View Post
    5.3 ls on 4l80e with segment swap tcc lock up issue
    Like title says 5.3 on 4l80e with segment swap under same OS# the transmission goes into gear fine but once it gets warm itll stall when i place it in drive. My reverse works with no problem its just my drive that stalls. I did the vss and iss and repinned the main transmission connector. Now i am getting a p1810 pending history and a 1860 and pending current on my hp tuner scanner. When the transmission does work it runs through gears as it should to include down shift but then after it warms up itll stall at idle in drive. I also dis a tcc lock up test i placed it in drive ( when the torque converter wasnt locked one day) and i manually activated the tcc solenoid and it stalled the engine so it seems that commanding it does work could it be the transmission pressure switch causing the torque converter to lock ?
    Will a sonnxx boost valve help and can it be installed while by just dropping the pan? Also one last thing will a 2006 4l80e tranny work with my setup i know the range sensor is different but im assuming my 2003 range sensor will bolt right on thankyou in advance
    Why do you think a Sonnax boost valve would fix this?

A 2003 and 2006 will interchange.

Senior Tuner
    can you keep it running in drive?

go back and start with a new file. stop working with the old file.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Tuner in Training
    The sonaxx boost valve apparently according to some posts will help with oil pressure so that the torque lock up will stay unlocked im not sure im getting a pressure tester to see how my oil pressure is doing ill be checking wiring tomorrow for issues ill post an update for now im still getting code p1860 and stalling only in drive 🤔

Tuner in Training
    Area47... yes itll go into drive but itll stall as soon it goesin drive the reverse works good also i disconnected the pink power wire to the transmission and itll go on limp mode into second and im able to move the truck foward and reverse im not sure what could it be ill check the wiring and test the pressure as well as perform another 4l80e segment swap from the repository unless you might happen to have one my os ends with 058 and i have a 2003 5.3 ecm running a 2002 4l80e

Senior Tuner
    something is wrong in the tune itself, or the file is corrupt. Been there, done that. Started over with a 100% stock file and a new 4l80 seg swap file.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Tuner in Training
    yea i already went back to stock file i clicked on write entire and it went back to stock file i will say that in the begining when i first did the 4l80e segment swap it worked even downshifted etc.... then two days later it locked up and now im here tryn to figure it out. i read somewhere to disconect the c1 and c2 pcm connectors, turn on ignition, and to check pin 2 (brown wire) on c2 and should give me 12 volts positive but it didnt give any voltage.... i even tried to put a ground on the brown wire to see if i heard the tcc pwm but i didnt here anything unless i really have to pay attention. sooooo im going to change segments and order all solenoids to include the inner transmission wiring, tcc pwm, shift sensors, pressure sensor and the pressure sensor see if that helps note i also have 12 volts at the E pin on the transmission connector

Tuner in Training
    Ok i finally found out .. i think waz wrong with my setup. I changed all solenoids in tranny, pressure sensor and the inner tranny wiring filled it with the proper tranny fluid and when driving the tcc would lock up after 10 mph and p1870 code would come up after spending all day changing the solenoids i figured let me change the 4l80e segment and to my surprise my truck worked shifted gears and down shifted as it should i hope it works and it stays that way hopefully this post will help someone going through this before changing segments i was having p1860 codes thats the reason i changed the wiring and solenoids but now it seems its working thanks to those that helped me out thankyou

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason B View Post
    Why do you think a Sonnax boost valve would fix this?

A 2003 and 2006 will interchange.
    I bought the Sonnax improved boost valve with the o rings around it (Part #34200-01K). I did not buy the stiffer spring. I also bought the line pressure regulator valve (Part #34200-14K) and installed it at the same time. A few weeks prior, I also replaced the pressure manifold switch. It continues to throw an 1810 code and goes into limp mode. The new parts (plus the new fluid and filter) certainly helped, but it still goes into limp mode.