Thread: Problems with text rendering in script

Potential Tuner

Problems with text rendering in script

Hi All,

I created my own lap list with some scripting. But the rendered text comes out very choppy. Is there a possibility to activate anti-aliasing for the text rendering?
    For example when I add a speedometer with style "Airspeed" the rendered text looks much better. What's the trick to get smooth text output?

Have a look at the attached screenshot. My lap list on the left side has rather choppy text. The speedometer on the right side has nice looking text.

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    Michael

2017-10-08_17-22-29.jpg

The text rendering calls upon the operating system, which unfortunately leaves something to be desired on Windows... The solution is to increase the graphics and text resolution. Text rendering is generally more costly for rendering performance in the enhanced object scripts than it is for the other displays (where we can optimize more), so it's left up to the script creator to decide how much quality or performance is desired.

The easiest solution here is to double the Canvas Size setting on the Object Parameters tab, and then double all of the rendering sizes and coordinates in both of the scripts. Also make sure that the Picture Scaling Quality setting on the Create Video screen is at "Better" or "Maximum", so that quality wont be lost when it's rescaled to fit its spot on the screen.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the quick feedback!

So we're basically doing overscanning. Just updated my script and the result looks far better. Thanks for the advice!

If I may ask... since I'm a software developer myself... what kind of programming language and operating system calls do you use? Do you use GDI rendering? Maybe you could switch to GDI+ rendering which supports anti-aliased text rendering.
    Last edited by Michael46; 10-08-2017 at 12:57 PM.