Thread: Trying to flash back to stock, unlicensed vehicle

Advanced Tuner

Trying to flash back to stock, unlicensed vehicle

Hi, I have a 2014 GT500, bought used, tuned by some tuner, ecu is locked, trying to flash back to stock so I can fix this junk tune.
    I have purchased three license files from HPTuners, all say unlicensed vehicle, when trying to flash. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
    Clipboard01.jpg

Senior Tuner
    Is it asking you to use your credits to license the vehicle when you flash it?

If you're doing a strategy swap (you likely are), then you need to write the ECU, then read it back to get the read with your VIN, then license that file you read back out.

Advanced Tuner
    It was, I have bought 6 credits for this car, (3 licenses), and can't flash any tune I have. I keep getting unlicensed vehicle, can't write at all, that's the problem

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MRRPMBRP View Post
    It was, I have bought 6 credits for this car, (3 licenses), and can't flash any tune I have. I keep getting unlicensed vehicle, can't write at all, that's the problem
    You must have license the VIN/Strat combo on the car in order to write it. IF you license another VIN/Strat combo you find in repository or anywhere else it will give you an error telling you you have not license the vehicle, this is because you have not license the combo on the actual ECM. Both the file you are flashing and the one in the ECM must be licensed.

If you pull the file from the car and it's not readable bc it has been locked then you will need to go to the dealer and have them flash it back to stock on contact support to see if they can help get you a file with your VIN/Strat to license, that way it will actually write to the car.

Advanced Tuner
    UPDATE.
    Had dealer reflash to stock, car seems to run exactly the same, and HPTuners still says unlicensed vehicle.

Here is the Infolog before the stock flash, and after the stock flash. Y'all have a look, I'm new to these ecu's, but I think it hasn't been flashed back to stock at all.

VCMSuiteInfo_GT500_black.txt

VCMSuiteInfoGT500_stock.txt

Tuner
    MRRPMBRP, none of the licenses have been purchased for the VIN number of the vehicle in question. As Jn2 said above the VIN/Strategy combo needs to match for the car.

Here's what you licensed:
    [Specific Vehicle]
    2010 Chevrolet Camaro (8 cyl), 86AAKCK19135GFJQ, [terry], (GM: 2)
    2010 Ford Mustang (8 cyl), 1ZVBP8KS0A5124935 FBRE7S4, (Ford: 2)
    2014 Ford Mustang (8 cyl), 1ZVBP8JZ1E5274332 FGFC3B5, (Ford: 2)
    2014 Ford Mustang (8 cyl), 1ZVBP8JZ6E5255209 FGFC3B5, (Ford: 2)

Here's the VIN of the car you are working on (if I read the log correctly):
    VIN: 1ZVBP8JZ1E5254078 - 2014 Ford Mustang Shelby Coupe, 5.8 L, 8 Cyl

IMHO you should email [email protected] to try to resolve your issue

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    His issue is he can't read his vehicle from what I've read from the threads he's posted, we'd be happy to help him with that ie determine if its an ecm/wiring issue on his end or a hardware issue on our end. Unfortunately we won't be able to help with all the random files he's licensed though, those are on him.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    That's it, I can't read the car. Evert time the software asked me for a license, I purchased one, so how do I now get to where I can read & write to this ecu? I know my softwsre & hardware is working correctly, as I can read/write to my 2010 Shelby no problem. The 2014 Shelby is what's giving me a problem.
    Previous owner had it tuned by lund, lund said to have Ford flash it back stock & go from there, I did that, still the same. HPTuners also said to have Ford flash back to stock.
    I have a email in to HPTuners, ticket number 100706, we'll see what they say now, after Ford reflashed it back to stock, or whatever they did.

In case HP support can't solve your issue. flash the stock tune by sct then you can read and tune

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by small tuner View Post
    In case HP support can't solve your issue. flash the stock tune by sct then you can read and tune
    Can't do that either, I don't have the sct tuner that's married to this car.

Advanced Tuner
    Looks like I'm gonna buy a new PCM.

(Note: If you buy a car with a aftermarket tune on it, and it's locked, I'd go ahead & figure on another PCM, and a tune)

Will HPTuners flash a new stock PCM, without being flashed by Ford first? I have the stock HPTuners file, but not sure if it does everything. I assume it doesn't set keys or anything, so I assume I need to have Ford flash it first, then start HPTuning, anyone know?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MRRPMBRP View Post
    Looks like I'm gonna buy a new PCM.

(Note: If you buy a car with a aftermarket tune on it, and it's locked, I'd go ahead & figure on another PCM, and a tune)

Will HPTuners flash a new stock PCM, without being flashed by Ford first? I have the stock HPTuners file, but not sure if it does everything. I assume it doesn't set keys or anything, so I assume I need to have Ford flash it first, then start HPTuning, anyone know?
    Once the new ECM is in the car and car runs and drives on it, you can use HPT to read the file out and then license it, once licensed you can write it to the car

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jn2 View Post
    Once the new ECM is in the car and car runs and drives on it, you can use HPT to read the file out and then license it, once licensed you can write it to the car
    That won't happen, this car has huge inj, and would be too rich to run on the stock tune file. This is the whole point of tuning, to get the car running correctly, with the mods it has, if factory would work, there'd be no need in tuning.

So we are back to the question, will HPTuners tune file get a car running, or only flash the performance side? If it won't, I'll need my dealer to flash the stock tune file in, before I go get the new PCM.

A new blank pcm must have a calibration put in it first through Ford, then you can read and license it.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    A new blank pcm must have a calibration put in it first through Ford, then you can read and license it.
    Ok, thanks.

I took the car to Ford, they claimed to flash it back to stock, well, they didn't, sent the infolog file to HTPuners, and it still has the lund tune in it.
    Now, if I get a new stock PCM, who do I get to flash it? I don't have much faith in Ford, as they shafted me already.

Anyone out there that can get me a good, either new or used, PCM that has stock Ford tune file in it?? You'll must be able to guarantee that it's stock, never tampered with, or have enough confidence in your work to be able to prove that the tune file is stock, so that HPTuners will read it.

Any takers??

Advanced Tuner
    UPDATE,
    Finally just bought a new PCM, Ford couldn't flash back to stock.
    Pulled stock tune with HPTuners, now I'm able to read/write no problem. Not to get this thing tuned!