Thread: Tuning a 2017 gmc sierra.

Tuning a 2017 gmc sierra.

New to tuning gm vehicles. Recently bought a 2017 gmc sierra with the 6 speed and 3.42s. When logging what do you guys recommend to look out for? Also any tips on tuning it. Truck is stock with only 80 miles on the clock.

Tuner in Training
    I'm in the same boat as you new truck, I have done tuning many years ago And it is worlds different than this new stuff. Hoping to at least see some ones file to see where they changed things. I read the torque management is a area to look at and also fuel tables. I'm also going turbo as soon as next weekend. Hate being so far behind the curve pre turbo. UGH

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    newers PCM's are all torque based, different fuel system completely different methodology from previous generations
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by SultanHassanMasTuning View Post
    newers PCM's are all torque based, different fuel system completely different methodology from previous generations
    Yes but I go into torque management and I don't see it as I thought it would be. Is there anyone that has a tune you sierra 6 speed that would let us look at it to see what all we can do. Or is there people on here that take a tune a "clean it up" for a fee? Thanks

Don't mean to hijack you thread, Thought we had same issues.

I think you may be confused here, a torque based controller means it's taking torque calculations and not torque management. We are talking about engine torque, actual torque, predicted torque and that sort of stuff to determine how the motor runs.

Torque management is there keep things alive like the motor and transmission, prevent wheel slip and maintain traction but also on a torque based controller like this you do not want to change much on the engine side otherwise you can mess up how the vehicle runs.

The 6L80e also works best if you leave pretty much all TM active and work with specific tables within the computer to get the desired shift time, shift speed and feel you want. Many threads out there on what you can do transmission wise.

Hopefully you are the worlds quickest learner if you already wish to turbo charge a motor you do not know how to tune even when it's naturally aspirated.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Ok so what is good to log on these vehicles besides knock retard. lambda. injector pulse width. temps.map. maf. Speed.rpm. ?

Hot table is for tow haul?

No, hot table is for hot transmission fluid and to try and protect the transmission.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Ok. What table is for tow/haul?

I couldn't tell you without a file but I feel it doesn't matter.

You need to look at your shift pattern type to see what is listed. Usually it says normal and trailer or normal and eco mode.

Then you can look at your shift pattern selections and shift pressure pattern select, they normally tell you exactly what tables are being used while in each pattern. 90% of the time it's always pattern X for everything. I've yet to see a dedicated tow/haul table in these calibrations but in some cases it makes the transmissions firm up.

I honestly pay zero attention to tow/haul mode as I can tune a 6L80e to whatever I need it to be without pushing the button.

Any recommendations on getting a nice quick shift on these trans. I will try posting a file tomorrow.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Rigo_eff1fitty View Post
    Any recommendations on getting a nice quick shift on these trans. I will try posting a file tomorrow.

Most of what I see is .15 to .3 shift timing and maxed out line pressure. Some say only .15 or 15% shift as more can break the input shaft. I have some 12 files I have collected to watch and learn from. But am as green as anyone on this so take it with a grain of salt.

Also I am VERY concerned about my drive shaft. I am told it isn't good over 100mph(some say 120mph). It is said it hits critical speed and breaks. So I'm looking at that. But don't see a lot of people with them in the trucks.

In a heavy ass truck keep shift times around .3000 and do not max out the line pressure. If you do it's going to shift like ass and smash/clunk every single gear.

Shift time torque adder upshift normal.
    Shift pressure.
    On-coming pressure presets.

Those are basically all you have to touch to get the transmission to shift cleaner/quicker. I've wrote many times some of my suggestions for settings in various threads but I forget how long ago I have and exactly where to find those posts.

As for the driveshaft, anything factory from the a truck is not rated over what the speed limiter is set too. That's why they set the speed limiters for 98-100mph still. It's not worth the risk to take a stock shaft any faster, too much damage can happen.

Ive seen thiese shafts break around 85 90 mph too. They are weak i would never go past 100mph even after removing the limiters off. Their is no reason why too. 5fdp i will take a look into it thanks

Tuner
    I've bought the gen III-gen v books and have a 08 avalanche and 17 z71 for daily drivers. I've come up with several different trans and engine tunes for my 17. Not so much the gen 4 avalanche. I would be willing to help with some of your issues. Let me know if I can help.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbrowning View Post
    I've bought the gen III-gen v books and have a 08 avalanche and 17 z71 for daily drivers. I've come up with several different trans and engine tunes for my 17. Not so much the gen 4 avalanche. I would be willing to help with some of your issues. Let me know if I can help.
    I would like some help 2017 Silverado 5.3. list email address
    [email protected]