Thread: Opinions on my 2002 S10 tune

Tuner in Training

Opinions on my 2002 S10 tune

Ive been learning and playing around with tuning my 2002 S10 Blazer with a 5.3 and 4L60E.
    I wanted to get some input of how this tune looks and where i should work on it more. The truck runs and idles good but sometimes feels like it has cruise control at low speeds.
    I also think i need to get the MAF dialed in better because at WOT with PE im getting around 11 AFR.
    Blazer tune.hpt
    Good tune or not.hpl
    Good tune or not ver 3.hpl

Yes, you are way too rich still. Work with your VE and MAF to dial in the fueling better. You have a wideband so create an lambda error or AFR to use the wideband to dial in the airflow tables.

I'd also not command the stock PE settings as they are kinda rich. Try to command around 12.0 in PE by changing the EQ ratio, then make the commanded AFR match the actual afr the wideband is showing. It would pick up a bunch of power because it won't be drowning in fuel like it is now, 9-10 AFR is way rich in the first log.

Add injector pulse width and knock retard to your logs, you'll want to know if it's showing knock so you can adjust timing as needed once the fueling is corrected.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you!!
    Ill give it a shot and post back when i have results.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Yes, you are way too rich still. Work with your VE and MAF to dial in the fueling better. You have a wideband so create an lambda error or AFR to use the wideband to dial in the airflow tables.

I'd also not command the stock PE settings as they are kinda rich. Try to command around 12.0 in PE by changing the EQ ratio, then make the commanded AFR match the actual afr the wideband is showing. It would pick up a bunch of power because it won't be drowning in fuel like it is now, 9-10 AFR is way rich in the first log.

Add injector pulse width and knock retard to your logs, you'll want to know if it's showing knock so you can adjust timing as needed once the fueling is corrected.
    Let me know if this looks better.

I made those tweaks and added the PIDs for KR, Burst Knock and Injector Pulse.

This thing feels like a whole new animal with the AFR better. Thank you!

im getting a tiny bit of KR at around 1600 rpms under load so ill look more into that but it looks good on the top end with around 12-12.5 AFR in PE.

It looks like my injector duty is only getting to 70% at 5700rpms WOT. These are the bigger flex fuel injectors.

What is everybodys thoughts on disabling Burst knock? It looks like its pulling 4-6 degrees of timing when i go WOT from a stand still. Is that normal?

10 Oct 17.hpl
    Blazer tune tweaks.hpt

Looks better, the rest is kind of fine tuning and do what you want with it. Best to keep timing around the low to mid 20's and your fueling looks good and safe.

Burst knock is predicted knock so when you mash the throttle like that it's designed to pull timing back like to protect the engine/transmission and maintain traction. Mostly it just gets in the way and just disable it completely but maxing the table out.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Looks better, the rest is kind of fine tuning and do what you want with it. Best to keep timing around the low to mid 20's and your fueling looks good and safe.

Burst knock is predicted knock so when you mash the throttle like that it's designed to pull timing back like to protect the engine/transmission and maintain traction. Mostly it just gets in the way and just disable it completely but maxing the table out.
    Copy, Thank you again for the help!

Tuner in Training
    I had a quick look at your tune...your PE is coming in at 5500 RPM you might want to try bringing it in earlier, I have been told 3-3500
    I have a 5.3 in a s10 running a base tune from the 2004 5.3. alot of your tables are very different than mine, what year base tune are you running?
    Paul

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverZ06 View Post
    I had a quick look at your tune...your PE is coming in at 5500 RPM you might want to try bringing it in earlier, I have been told 3-3500
    I have a 5.3 in a s10 running a base tune from the 2004 5.3. alot of your tables are very different than mine, what year base tune are you running?
    Paul
    Ill look into trying to drop the PE to a lower RPM and see how it runs but i believe with my delay being set to 0 and PE set to specific TPS numbers. Shouldnt it come in when the TPS reaches that point? Mine is 64% at lower RPMs and 34% at higher RPMS.
    I am learning this stuff as i go so if you see something wrong please point it out. I wont take offense and I want to learn as much as i can.
    My overall tune started with a 2002 Tahoe Flex fuel tune because my engine is out of a 2002 Tahoe and im kept the larger flex fuel injectors. but i have modified quite a few of the other tables to help with my idle, airflow and timing.
    The transmission tables are based off a 2002 Camaro with tweaks to remove torque management.
    Last edited by chuckntruck; 10-14-2017 at 08:31 PM.