Thread: Streaming Data Usage?

Potential Tuner

Question Streaming Data Usage?

Hi guys,

We are using the Track Addict android app for a LeMons race this weekend. If we enable streaming telemetry data, how much wireless data should we expect to use, per hour? Are we talking megabytes or gigabytes? I don't want a nasty surprise on the phone bill.

Thanks!

TrackAddict's live telemetry data streaming protocol is designed to be compact to save on bandwidth and to help in cases of poor connections. I'd typically expect well under 1 MB per hour in the current version. The primary data being streamed is GPS and some extra info, which should only be around 210 KB per hour maximum, plus network overheads. Some more is used if you are also streaming OBD data (I believe around 56 KB per channel), a little more if you are following the telemetry of other users, and there's a few extra bytes sent upon each new lap. If you have a spotty connection where it drops and has to reconnect, that would use more as well.

It is possible that this will increase in the future as we add more features and capabilities, but everything I've designed thus far has made low data use a priority.

Potential Tuner
    Awesome, and thanks for the fast response. That is really efficient. I was expecting far more. Good work!