Thread: Torque converter clutch management

Torque converter clutch management

I was told by a transmission shop that the 6L80/90's wear the torque converter out pretty fast due to the amount of slipping they allow. This was mainly referring to truck stuff, not sure about car stuff. I'm partly asking because, my engine/trans combo has 60k on it and the pan was full of friction material. I tore it completely down and checked all the clutches and they all looked good, so I figured it came from the torque converter.

Is this true? Should I change my table to allow less slipping? Anything else that should be done? This is a swap.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

I disable the torque converter in gears 1-4 completely, I think factory they have it engage in 3rd and 4th gear at cruising speeds. Then I kept the lock up speed and TCC settings factory for 5th and 6th.

Being that these transmissions are a clutch to clutch style transmission there is bound to be more material in the pan, not only is there 6 forward gears but they are active 4x the amount of time that a standard 4L60e or 4L80e is.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Senior Tuner
    ive had stock converters in the ctsv hold just fine from stock to 900 hp at wot. i rarely change the part throttle lock up. Just the pressures. You can monitor rpm slip in the scanner as well.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

I'll have to do some investigating on changing torque converter lockup through the tables. I'm running some pretty tall gears, so I'm thinking I'll use 4th a lot, so I may want to keep it enabled in 4th, but it seems like most tables are 1-4, then 5-6 tables. I definitely agree about more friction material. Mine was completely coated.

Like Area47 mentioned doing, I'll probably increase the lock-up pressures too. I'll see how it goes down the road first, before messing with any of this. The donor vehicle is heavier than what it went into, so it might already feel harsher than most oem applications.

Tuner in Training
    Could someone explain how to prevent the torque converter lockup in the lower gears?
    What value would I write in the table?

Put it at a speed you won’t hit.

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Tuner in Training
    Thanks.
    For a 2009 Chevy truck with a 5.3L, the table to modify is TRANS> Torque Converter> Apply/Release> Speed> Normal ?

Also, the truck has a towing package. What happens exactly when the tow button, on the gear shift, is engaged? Is there a table that is referenced?
    Would it be Pattern A or B?

Senior Tuner
    Your scanner will tell you which pattern you are in. Look for the pattern mode PID. Then your tune will tell which shift mode is mapped to each pattern.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks.

Potential Tuner
    My 2010 suburban with 65k miles runs well and no issues with the 6l80e transmission. Any recommendations regarding torque converter to replace the stock one for a more durable one that will not end up damaging the whole tranny please?