Thread: Same amount of KR showing up after correcting spark tables for KR

Same amount of KR showing up after correcting spark tables for KR

So I followed Overboost's video on KR removal to get rid of some Knock in the 30 to 100 range (0-215 table), with 1.5 to 3.7 retard showing up.

However after a test drive, I'm pretty much seeing the same amount of knock in the same areas. The subtraction from the four tables (and correcting OP Spark tables to match) doesn't appear to have done anything.

Any ideas how this could be? Should I again just subtract the knock from the tables?

Thanks!

KAPPA/LNF/REDLINE/GXP
    Last edited by npaz; 10-12-2017 at 01:29 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    You?re spark tables are more than likely too low and it isn?t stabilizing, so timing is jumping and it?s showing KR. Without seeing a log of exactly what is going on, my best guess is you need to raise timing.

Tuner in Training
    Burst Knock?

Thanks for the advice. I did a few more drives to see if it improved. Did get better after a few more key cycles. As Mike173 mentioned, the timing does seem to jump around a lot, which could be part of the problem.

I'm wondering if I should go with one standard table for all four of the spark tables. I have been using slightly modified stock tables. However, my boost in the range where the KR is showing up is higher than stock. I have read other threads recommending one table for all and smoothing.

My only concern is the stock spark tables do vary a quite a bit depending on cam timing. Seems tough to come up with an average of all four that would work well under all conditions, or is this not the case?.
    Last edited by npaz; 10-13-2017 at 07:34 PM.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    kr has a learn cycle which triggers the sensor. make sure your waiting a few drive cycles before verifying a kr issue to let the learn pass.
    sometimes you can catch the cycle on the dyno by getting out of place figures.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Advanced Tuner
    I?m basing this off of zero logs, but if timing is jumping around and you are seeing KR, then you should probably raise your timing in those areas like I previously stated.

Thanks CSSOB. Mike can you please clarify why raising the timing would help? It seems backwards, as KR is commanding less timing, not more. Wouldn't adding more advance make things worse?

Advanced Tuner
    The computer registers KR for different reasons. Not just because it needs to pull timing. Again, I?m basing this off of no log, and just off the info you are giving me. Timing should not hunt (bounce up and down), it should stay steady with what you are commanding, and only drop when you let off of the pedal. If it?s bouncing around and you are steady driving with no changes, then it for sure needs to be raised. I think I did a write-up on timing awhile back if you want to look it up and read it.

Please see my new post on ghost KR. KR pretty much appears only on #2 when it does show up.

Also, to clarify my earlier comments. Timing is totally steady at steady throttle. I meant that with the cams moving around practically all the time do to pedal, load, rpm, etc., the timing moves around a lot as well compared to simple old school electronic ignition.

Zeroed Tip In Retard to see if it made any difference. None. Then smoothed spark tables which seemed to help, then added stock Tip In settings, but did raise 2000 -2800 range to -3. These two changes at first appeared to help a lot on my usual test route which has a lot of fast rolling hills. Later tested on bigger slower hills and it was back. Added cylinder logging and saw it's almost always on #2.
    Last edited by npaz; 10-22-2017 at 01:03 PM.