Thread: 5.4 3v Variable cam disable problem

Potential Tuner

5.4 3v Variable cam disable problem

I just purchased HPTuners to perform phaser lockouts on these engines. I've done many in the past and sent the computers off for tuning. I've got an expedition that keeps setting codes for timing advance so I just purchased the tuner to avoid sending the PCM off and waiting every time. So I pulled the tune, found the master disable for the VVT system, it is showing disabled. But on a scanner, it's showing that it's trying to phase the camshafts and eventually sets codes P0011 and P0021, timing advance for both banks. Error degrees are 0 on both banks until it tries to phase, then the error calculations start moving around, because it's trying to advance them and knows it's not responding. Anyone ever run into this? I'm not sure what else I can do. It says it's off but apparently it's not...

Thanks,
    Scott

have you tried to flip the switch back on and just zero out the tables? i dont use the switch just zero out the vct tables

Potential Tuner
    I don't have tables. I clicked it back to enable and still didn't get any tables, but perhaps I need to save the file and re-open it or something? Sorry, I'm an EFILive guy, very new to this software. It showed up on UPS only a few hours ago. I'll play around with it. Thanks!

are you in advance mode? click edit then view advance

Potential Tuner
    Yes, I found that option a couple hours ago. No difference. I haven't been able to get any tables. I have a Ford VCM, so I flashed the latest calibration, now I'm pulling that tune. I'll see if it has any better luck modifying this one...

EDIT
    Ah damn, I linked credits to it a minute ago (I thought to the VIN), but now with a new calibration it's asking to re-license. I do have tables now though, oddly enough.
    Last edited by Scott65; 10-12-2017 at 06:56 PM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott65 View Post
    Yes, I found that option a couple hours ago. No difference. I haven't been able to get any tables. I have a Ford VCM, so I flashed the latest calibration, now I'm pulling that tune. I'll see if it has any better luck modifying this one...

EDIT
    Ah damn, I linked credits to it a minute ago (I thought to the VIN), but now with a new calibration it's asking to re-license. I do have tables now though, oddly enough.
    Sorry for bringing old thread to live again. Did you find the tables for the camshafts timing? I also cannot see them.

Advanced Tuner
    this i what i usually do with cam phaser lockouts
    The common method is to go into the Variable Cam category and go through each of the 5 main Cam Angle tables.
    -Variable Cam Angle Load IMRC Closed
    -Variable Cam Angle Load IMRC Open
    -Variable Cam Angle Max Retard Limit Power
    -Variable Cam Angle Torque IMRC Closed
    -Variable Cam Angle Torque IMRC Open

If you want the max cam angle to be 0 degrees, then set this all of these tables to be no higher than 0.

The vehicle is programmed to either use the load based or torque based, but I haven't noticed any ill-effects by modifying all of them. If someone has then they can chime in and make further suggestions.

You'll also want to modify the Spark Adder to *.* Tables for VCT *.* since there will be no longer be cam adjustments.

Set "Max Cam Angle As Function Of Engine Oil Temp" to all 0, and that should do what you're needing to do.
    Last edited by mstang_man; 03-27-2018 at 07:34 PM. Reason: spelling

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mstang_man View Post
    The common method is to go into the Variable Cam category and go through each of the 5 main Cam Angle tables.

If you want the max cam angle to be 0 degrees, then set this all of these tables to be no higher than 0.

The vehicle is programmed to either use the load based or torque based, but I haven't noticed any ill-effects by modifying all of them. If someone has then they can chime in and make further suggestions.

You'll also want to modify the Spark Adder to *.* Tables for VCT *.* since there will be no longer be cam adjustments.

Set "Max Cam Angle As Function Of Engine Oil Temp" to all 0, and that should do what you're needing to do.
    The problem is that these tables are not available in the 2005 Expeditions. We can only disable and enable them. I do not know what is the reason.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mstang_man View Post

Hate to rehash old thread, can u explain what *.* Means on the spark adder