Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idle issue?

Tuner in Training

Idle issue?

I have a small cam, adjusted taget idle and airflow up a bit.
    I am Running no Maf just STFT with no LTFT, I performed all VE error tuning. Thats all good.
    When I fire this 5.3 it idles very low and I have to two foot it for about 10-15 seconds then its excellent, never a problem?
    even hot, it does this? Running great shut it off it does the same thing? The two foot blues???
    Any ideas? It's not temperature related.

Tuner in Training
    Can you post a log when it does this and the tune your currently running?

Tuner in Training
    Here is tune, I will try to log issue today.

Tuner in Training
    Here is a quick log of the start up problem. you can see very low RPM for a few seconds until it catches its breath and gets up to 700+,
    Is it spark? Fuel? Air?
    Attached Files Attached Files

You do want the 3 MAF dtc's to be on MIL on first error so drops straight to speed density.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    You do want the 3 MAF dtc's to be on MIL on first error so drops straight to speed density.
    Un-check them?

If you want to, you can.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    If you want to, you can.
    i'm pretty new at this, so I'm just double checking with your instruction, that all. will un-checking them send it into SD mode quicker? and maybe help the idle issue?
    Thanks for your help. OK I set them to first error. I will try that. Thank-you.
    Last edited by SilverZ06; 10-15-2017 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Added text

The check just stands for the SES light on the dash. You just want the codes to be set to MIL on first error if you are running speed density only.

Tuner in Training
    For some reason you are getting Knock Retard at idle. as soon as the KR decays, the timing comes in the idle jumps to ~700.
    I also agree with above, Set the MAF DTCs P101, P102, P103 to MIL on first error. If you want the Service Engine Soon light out for those DTCs you can uncheck the SES box.

How does it run other than this little issue?

Tuner in Training
    I noticed that knock, I tried playing with the spark in that area and smooth it out a little, but when I flashed it and started it... it ran like crap on startup so I went back to the tune I posted.
    Other than this bad idle issue on startup it runs well. I am not that good with spark timing yet, I mastered the VE table and now have to learn spark.
    I set the top 3 mafs to first error and will test it now and report back.

Tuner in Training
    Also, what size cam are you running?

Tuner in Training
    The cam is a called a triple 12 I will post specs shortly.
    but her is log...cold start and 15 - 20 seconds barely able to idle.....the you can see have way thru this log....bam! nice idle.
    No knock but my AFR is not as in the chart, it only reads true when its warm, the gauge was reading rich...between 10.9 -11.5 then it went 13-14 when the idle cleaned up.
    so I'm suspecting a fueling issue perhaps? Not sure? lobe center is 112 valve lft .561 intake and exhaust duration 260 . open intake 22 before tdc closed 58 after bdc. lift .330
    exhaust open 66 bdc. closed 14 after tdc
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SilverZ06; 10-15-2017 at 09:46 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Have you checked for vacuum leaks? You dont have much vacuum at idle. My truck with a similar cam has a lot more vacuum at idle.

My cam is a TSP 212/218 .550/.550 112lsa cam and my MAP is sitting around 39-45kpa at idle
    Last edited by chuckntruck; 10-15-2017 at 10:08 PM.

You can try lowering your open loop eq ratio to help with how rich it is.

In that last log your starting coolant temp was 93 degrees and the MAP was around 80-90kpa, so if you look at the open loop eq ratio it's asking for a commanded EQ of around 1.12-1.18. Then maybe pull a little fuel out around idle in the VE.

Of course when the coolant temp is much colder it's going to adding even more fuel with the open loop EQ.

Is the rest of the engine using stock parts? Like the MAP sensor, fuel injectors, is fuel pressure still running factory settings?

Fix your ETC spark advance correction table too, it's yanking out up to -8 of timing when the coolant temps are low and cylinder airmass is low. No idea how the heck it got set that way.

That will a big cause of low engine vacuum if it's go zero timing in it.

Tuner in Training
    Sorry to sidetrack for a second, but does anyone why are some of the tables greyed out when i compare this tune to a stock 2004 silverado tune or my stock 2002 tahoe tune?

Different operating systems is why. For sure on the 2004 tune, you are trying to compare 2000 truck computer that is a P01 to a truck computer that is a P59. One is drive by cable, the other drive by wire with tons of differences in between.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckntruck View Post
    Sorry to sidetrack for a second, but does anyone why are some of the tables greyed out when i compare this tune to a stock 2004 silverado tune or my stock 2002 tahoe tune?
    I'm not sure, mine does that sometimes on the compare?

Tuner in Training
    Different operating systems is why. For sure on the 2004 tune, you are trying to compare 2000 truck computer that is a P01 to a truck computer that is a P59. One is drive by cable, the other drive by wire with tons of differences in between.
    Thanks a ton for looking at these issue, I will make these changes tomorrow afternoon when I get home from work. The tune is all stock from a 2004 express van. I have compared my tune against other and my spark tables are much different. I have copied my high octane to the low and left it. I massaged the VE as the error indicated up to around 2500 RPM. I really appreciate the help