Thread: 2003 5.9 cummins stock tune,log first attempt at tuning a diesel, opinions welcome.

2003 5.9 cummins stock tune,log first attempt at tuning a diesel, opinions welcome.

Have been reading a lot of posts on here trying to wrap my head around diesel tuning. Bought a 03 dodge ram 2500 bone stock with 200k on the clock. Truck ran great, was quiet,smooth, could see a slight bit of black smoke under throttle at the higher rpm, but just a tiny bit. Towing 5k lbs was seeing about 17 ish mpg running about 78 mph.Flashed it with the HPT tune file. It got a bit louder, just seemed to run a bit more diesely (for lack of a better term), power felt the same, but I could tell it was a bit different.

Modified some tables, seems a bit smother again, has much better power, throttle is more linear than stock. I will see how the smoke is tomorrow as its hard to see any at night, and have another trip with the same trailer and car this weekend, will get to see how mileage has changed if it has at all.

Any of the experts want to take a look at the tune and the logs and offer any other advice so I don't melt this thing. Not looking for a smoke machine or a race truck, basically a reliable daily and tow pig.

Would like to smooth out the fuel pressure maps a lot more as they are still kind of a mess but don't know if I can make that big of changes. Used the timing calculator also to get the timing table, seems a lot different than the stock one.