Thread: Disabling IPC/ETC

Potential Tuner

Disabling IPC/ETC

New to tuning with HPtuners. Was wondering if there is a way to 1.) disable the IPC on 2017 S550 Mustang and 2.) Would disabling it have any negative impact on other parts of the tune (Transmission control, etc.)

I found this article that discusses disabling IPC ROM Switch and IPC ROM Enable but do not see that in the later model tunes. Wondering if there is an equivalent to disabling this.

http://www.modularfords.com/content/...sing-HP-Tuners

Any input would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by azarembo View Post
    New to tuning with HPtuners. Was wondering if there is a way to 1.) disable the IPC on 2017 S550 Mustang and 2.) Would disabling it have any negative impact on other parts of the tune (Transmission control, etc.)

I found this article that discusses disabling IPC ROM Switch and IPC ROM Enable but do not see that in the later model tunes. Wondering if there is an equivalent to disabling this.

http://www.modularfords.com/content/...sing-HP-Tuners

Any input would be appreciated.
    Not necessary on 2017s
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Potential Tuner
    So is there anyway around IPC or do you absolutely have to tune the torque and torque inverse tables?

Quote Originally Posted by azarembo View Post
    So is there anyway around IPC or do you absolutely have to tune the torque and torque inverse tables?
    I'll answer your question #2 about negative impact.
    Yes, it will have a negative impact.

The modern ECU uses torque control everywhere, its vital to get your torque to air mapping correct to actual conditions so that everything else plays right. Your transmission for example uses these torques to decide how much pressure it needs to put on the clutches to prevent slip. Your ABS module sends torque requests for traction control to the ECU, AWD modules send torque requests if equipped, etc.

Having your torque model on point will have the rest of the car on point as well, so I'd really invest the time into learning how to tune with it instead of tune against it.
    In the older stuff there was less reliance on it, but its increasingly important to have it dialed in well and to use it to your advantage.

If your air model is on, everything else is easier. You wont need to touch the transmission, traction control, etc. You get the OEM driveability because you only made everything in the "calculator" that is your ECU correct again, so everything else doesnt need to be touched.

Senior Tuner
    Very time consuming, but Torque and Inverse Torque is why these vehicles are so expensive to tune. Results are amazing and well worth the effort, but in a pinch you can raise the wheel torque error to a lot of the same effect as the old IPC stuff. Problem though, Ford is now so "predictive" in their logic you really do have to tune the Torque and Inverse or your tune is crap. It relies a hell of a lot now on those two tables being correct. Ill even go as far as to say those two tables "ARE THE TUNE".lol They are that important.
    Nice bonus I've noticed, when you get these correct, a cold air intake or a BBK throttle body will no longer whistle! Man, that drove me nuts. Hated that. When I realized that is when I said those two tables will be calibrated every time. Even back to the 2V 4.6 this is true too....calibrate the Torque and inverse instead of the IPC method in those and the results are much, much better all around.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Potential Tuner
    Steve & MMGT1 Thanks for your responses. I knew these were important but wondered how to get the fueling close before working on the torque tables. Sounds like increasing the torque error temporarily is the answer then working on the torque and torque inverse tables.

I saw some other posts about tuning these tables without a dyno but got somewhat confused. Is there a good how to write-up for tuning these without a dyno? I'm planning on getting the Coyote Cookbook soon.

I am also interested to learn more about tuning torque (and inverse) tables.

I imagine that you can use a steady state dyno to hold RPMs matching the table columns, then sweep through the full load range and use measured torque at each cell. I'm hoping to here that you can approximate this without a steady state dyno. Perhaps using a similar method, but using a calculated/read PID in place of measured wheel torque.

Would you make these changes to the OP table, then apply proportional changes to all the other mapped points?

I found setting ipc maximum to zero worked in that the car drove really well and no ipc faults but it had a fault causing shut down about every 20 minutes.

Advanced Tuner
    I just got a ngauge Saturday and had a well known local tuner write a quick 93 tune for my 16 mustang, he didn't touch any torque tables or anything and I experienced just that. was crusing and leaned into the throttle and the throttle would go into limp mode. would not rev or accel. all he did was allow more timing on 93, shut off the cat codes and cot as I am doing long tubes shortly and raise the rev limiter a bit. he had to shut that off in order for it to drive normal, said that was the first s550 he had to do that on. now I didn't get a dyno tune just a quickie like I said then loaded onto my ngauge. so I assume going back to have a dyno tune and have him go through the torque tables is the only way to make it right without just leaving that switch off? or is it ok as is? with that being off does that effect the traction control and advance trac systems? I usually drive in track mode with advance trac off but my wife drives the car and I like to have all the nannies operating when she drives it.