Thread: 08 mustang with Ford hot rod cams

Tuner in Training

08 mustang with Ford hot rod cams

HI
    Just bought my second Mustang in 40 years. First was a 65 notch. Wow thing sure have changed. LOL I have tuned a half a dozen LS1 engines but first newer ford. Installing the Ford Hot rod cams and looking through all the tables and I am getting a little confused on the cam phasers. Ford gave me some Wot specs for cam degrees but many cam angle tables in the tune. Not sure on what tables to alter and exactly what line to change. Also should they be blended since Ford only gave me WOT values? Tried to find a few tunes here that show the Hot cams but not much luck. I can figure out all the fueling and timing just fine just want to make sure the cam angle values are correct before I start doing the rest. Any help would be great.
    I see many Bama tunes mentioned on the web but I have HPT so would rather use this. THanks

Was this question ever answered?

Advanced Tuner
    What would you like to know bud? I’ve tuned one for the hot rod cams I might be able to answer

What are all the parameters that you changed? Cam retard for WOT? MAF parameters? Anything else? The engine is running rich. Thanks for responding.

Advanced Tuner
    the one I did had the ford racing cold air and intake manifold that did away with the imrcs so there were a lot of tables changed. I can screen shot the cam settings if you like.

That would help me. Thanks a lot.

Are you able to post those screen shots onto this thread? It seems that cams with longer duration require a more lean afr at idle. Was that your experience?

You can change Injector Intake Valve Open from 345 to 350 which will help. As for cam angles the cams should come with instructions for the settings. Can check comp cam instructions for reference.

Tuner in Training
    This is the tune that I'm running in my 08 3V American Iron Roadrace car. It has the ford hot rod cams, ford racing intake with IMRC delete, ford racing cai, no cats, and I run it on 93 octane only. It is not 100% sorted but makes good power for what it is - it doesn't spend much time at part throttle!

AI13 4_6 SCT 93 OCT with TQ.hpt

Don

Advanced Tuner
    I’ll post mine here in a few it was a fr500s race car I did on 93 it ran great and pulled hard.

Advanced Tuner
    fr500s race car, long tubes, catless x, ford racing cold air intake, ford racing intake manifold and hot rod cams, 4.10s on 93 no knock but log if you use entire file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill88stang View Post
    fr500s race car, long tubes, catless x, ford racing cold air intake, ford racing intake manifold and hot rod cams, 4.10s on 93 no knock but log if you use entire file.
    'Unable to Open. This file is part of a remote tuning network that you are not a part of'

Is there any way to save this as a file anyone can open?

Advanced Tuner
    I’ll fix that and resend it here today

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill88stang View Post
    I’ll fix that and resend it here today
    Hey Bill88stang just pinging you on this, I would really love to look at your FR-500S tune to compare to the tune I did on my 4.6.

Don

Advanced Tuner
    It's not too difficult. If the cams require a limiter less than stock, decrease your max retard tables.
    Wot cam degrees would be in cam angle imrc open at loads .8 and greater.
    If your imrcs have been locked or an intake manifold with out imrcs has been swapped on. Copy all imrc open tables to the imrc closed tables. I also do this in the vct tab when adjusting vct. The cam angles I change for imrc open will be copied to the imrc closed table every time I adjust the table.
    Fuel trims will always need to be adjusted when doing a cam swap or intake airflow changes are made. It is best using a wideband vs commanded lamda because your stft/narrowbands can only accurately measure stoich. I had a boosted vehicle with stft reading +25% when I would take it wot, even with the wideband reading commanded lamda.

Advanced Tuner
    should be fixed to open now
    Attached Files Attached Files