Thread: 2016 Hemi PWM support

2016 Hemi PWM support

I have a 2016 Hemi Ram 1500 4x4, I did the V6 fan conversion and removed my clutch fan, it is a nice plug and play conversion, only down side is it is only a single speed fan, these fans are stock on 2009-2012 3.7-4.7 Ram engines. After I did the swap I noticed that 2013-2018 Pentastar V6 Ram uses a PWM brushless fan, I had a chance to research the diagrams and the wire coming out of my trucks PCM that would normally control the low speed fan relay, is the same wire and pin off the PCM that would send the PWM signal to control the brushless fans on the Pentastar V6 Ram. I also noticed that on my Hp Tuners tuning file I can change it to PWM operation instead of my single speed fan relay operation that I currently have. Is this really all I need to do to get the PCM to control the Brushless fan with my low speed relay control wire, or do I need some type segment swap?

Potential Tuner
    Does anyone know the answer to this?

I was going to make an identical thread, and came across this one... I'm also trying to put a Pentastar e-fan onto my 2014 HEMI Ram. Before I take the plunge into the software, anyone know for sure if PWM fan control can be enabled?

I know Jeep JK owners have swapped in 5.7 / 6.4 truck engines, and many run the 3.6 Pentastar fan. I know specially shops can program the TIPM to send out a pulse signal. Can HP Tuners do the same?

Thanks!

I want to put the Gen 5 Ram 1500 PWM fan on my 2019 Gen 4 Ram 1500, and have found all the parts, but can't find any info of changing the Fan setting to PWM in HP Tuners will enable it or not, someone has to have knowledge of this.

I tried swapping in a Gen 5 Ram 1500 PWM fan into my 2019 Ram 1500 Classic Gen 4 with correct wiring and control circuit connected to pin 82 on the PCM like the PWM trucks have wired and fan settings set to PWM linear instead of the two speed relay it was set to, I could not get it to come on. Is there a way to do a patch from a Gen 5 Ram that has the PWM fan on the Hemi or the Gen 4 Ram that has the fan on the Pentastar 3.6 fan?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Here is my Stock file of my truck and the newer Gen 5 Ram DT with the 5.7 Hemi PWM fan, doesn't appear to be any differences except it is set to PWM Linear and I tried that on my truck with no luck.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I would probably go with an aftermarket fan set up. It will use its own cut on and off relays and adjustable thermostat

The truck comes with a single speed fan for the A/C and clutch fan on the Hemi, I removed the clutch fan and swapped in the 2011 Ram 1500 3.7 V6 2-spd fan already that can be easily be changed in the HP Tuners software, it works pretty good, a lot of people do this swap, I just really want the PWM fan instead that is supposed to deliver twice as many CFM's, but I've never overheated the Hemi with my current set up, there's really no need to use a controller.

Quote Originally Posted by Boosted CC View Post
    The truck comes with a single speed fan for the A/C and clutch fan on the Hemi, I removed the clutch fan and swapped in the 2011 Ram 1500 3.7 V6 2-spd fan already that can be easily be changed in the HP Tuners software, it works pretty good, a lot of people do this swap, I just really want the PWM fan instead that is supposed to deliver twice as many CFM's, but I've never overheated the Hemi with my current set up, there's really no need to use a controller.
    Gotcha.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by oicw View Post
    Does anyone know the answer to this?

I was going to make an identical thread, and came across this one... I'm also trying to put a Pentastar e-fan onto my 2014 HEMI Ram. Before I take the plunge into the software, anyone know for sure if PWM fan control can be enabled?

I know Jeep JK owners have swapped in 5.7 / 6.4 truck engines, and many run the 3.6 Pentastar fan. I know specially shops can program the TIPM to send out a pulse signal. Can HP Tuners do the same?

Thanks!
    4 and a half years later and still no solution... At least we've verified a 5th gen PWM fan doesn't work, I wonder if the PWM frequency doesn't match a 4th gen's.

I've since bought a universal PWM controller off Ebay, will update if I can get that to drive the fan.

Quote Originally Posted by oicw View Post
    4 and a half years later and still no solution... At least we've verified a 5th gen PWM fan doesn't work, I wonder if the PWM frequency doesn't match a 4th gen's.

I've since bought a universal PWM controller off Ebay, will update if I can get that to drive the fan.
    Are you sure both the Gen 4 and Gen 5 fans are BOTH brushless? Does it have three wires or two? Brushless motors usually have three wires but it could only have two. Brushless cannot be controlled directly with a PWM driver, they need to have a driver that switches the three fields in the proper timing to create the rotating magnetic field. You said the Gen 4 has a two speed relay, that really doesn't sound like PWM, that sounds like there are two different voltage outputs which could be PWM but very likely not brushless output.

If you want to directly drive a DC motor with a PWM driver, you want just a standard permanent magnet DC motor. Get any aftermarket fan and your PWM output driver from eBay (probably need a solid state relay too) will give it a changing average DC voltage that will vary the fan speed.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ineedtofinishmyprojects View Post
    Are you sure both the Gen 4 and Gen 5 fans are BOTH brushless? Does it have three wires or two? Brushless motors usually have three wires but it could only have two. Brushless cannot be controlled directly with a PWM driver, they need to have a driver that switches the three fields in the proper timing to create the rotating magnetic field. You said the Gen 4 has a two speed relay, that really doesn't sound like PWM, that sounds like there are two different voltage outputs which could be PWM but very likely not brushless output.

If you want to directly drive a DC motor with a PWM driver, you want just a standard permanent magnet DC motor. Get any aftermarket fan and your PWM output driver from eBay (probably need a solid state relay too) will give it a changing average DC voltage that will vary the fan speed.
    Sorry about the late reply, I gave up checking this thread, lol

The original post, as well as many other sources, confirmed the Pentastar 4th gen uses brushless. The 5th gen are brushless for sure, based on multiple Ram sources.

4th Gens are wired for both 2-speed relays (other V6), and PWM (Pentastar). Motor controller is internal based on my research, the external PWM signal from the PCM just determines duty cycle. The Hellcat uses a 100Hz 12V PWM signal sent from the PCM, I bet the Ram uses the same. Just been too lazy to test.

I know HP Tuners give both a 2-speed relay or PWM option under fan control based on videos I've watched, I just don't know if the PWM works on a PCM that's not initially programmed for PWM (Hemi).