Thread: Tach/Gear Indicator,' Throttle & Brake data

Potential Tuner

Tach/Gear Indicator,' Throttle & Brake data

Im currently using trackaddict to log all of my data but I trying to figure out how to get the tach/brake/throttle and gear data... do i need to download a diff data logger or out right buy something completely different... I was also thinking about getting a gopro 5... not sure if that pulls in all of the required data...

A.

A compatible OBD-2 device is needed to get engine tachometer and throttle data into TrackAddict or most other apps. Engine gear number is typically not available via standard OBD-2 and will instead be estimated based on the engine rpm vs speed, but sometimes the first gear is missed so you'll just need to set the gear adjustment to +1. Similarly, brake data is also typically not available via standard OBD-2, but TrackAddict will provided a calculated brake channel based on when it believes you are braking.

The GoPro 5 & 6 Black have a great GPS in them, but wont interface with your vehicle to get the tach, throttle, gear, brakes, etc., so you'd only get track map, lap times, speed, heading, altitude, and calculated G-forces in RaceRender.

Potential Tuner
    Nor sure if you've purchased an OBD-2 transmitter. I'm using a KIWI-3 from PLX Devices ($85 on Amazon). It's about 4 times faster than other devices and perhaps the reason why it costs 4 times as much. It's an excellent device and you can leave it in the OBD-2 port because of it's extremely low power drain. Set the option in TrackAddict for OBD devices to BLE (Bluetoth Low Energy).

On a different note. If you also want better GPS location and data accuracy, the Dual Electronics XGPS 160 is an excellent choice. It delivers 10Hz (10 points/sec.) compared to 1point/sec. of a mobile phone. If you want accurate lap times, this is a must. I just purchased one for $125 (Amazon).

Potential Tuner
    Somewhat similar question...

I have an ODB device and my csv log file show RPM data, but when I go in a Racerender session the tach is not showing anything???

Quote Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
    Somewhat similar question...

I have an ODB device and my csv log file show RPM data, but when I go in a Racerender session the tach is not showing anything???
    Depending on which data acquisition system was used to log the RPM data, it's possible that it may just be using a channel name that RaceRender isn't automatically recognizing... If that's the case, you could double-click on the data file in RaceRender's "Input Files" list, go to the "Engine RPM" selection, and set that to your RPM data channel.

Similarly, your tach/rpm display itself can also be double-clicked on to open its properties box, and there will be a "Field" selection there as well, where you have the option to override the automatic or global settings for that specific display.

You could also send the file to me at Info@RaceRender.com, and I can take a look to see what's happening and if there might be a way to better support this situation in the future...