Thread: BA NA Turbo Conversion

Tuner

BA NA Turbo Conversion

Customer put all parts from a wrecked BA XR6t into a NA BA except the engine. I turned PATS off and used the turbo ECU and and starts and runs no drama until you rev it up and immediately goes into limp mode from the throttle body and will idle but not rev up.
    But it will not go into limp mode with the NA ECU fitted.
    Any ideas guys ?

Tuner in Training
    NA Map sensor in Inlet manifold I think will cause this.

Tuner
    what DTC's do you have.
    that will tell you whats wrong.
    get back to us.
    ive got a BA turbo setup on a BA NA engine using a NA ecu with turbo logic enabled and had a similar issue.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ModchipMan View Post
    NA Map sensor in Inlet manifold I think will cause this.
    Ive tuned an NA Territory with turbo fitted with stock Map sensor and wasnt a drama.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by luke111 View Post
    what DTC's do you have.
    that will tell you whats wrong.
    get back to us.
    ive got a BA turbo setup on a BA NA engine using a NA ecu with turbo logic enabled and had a similar issue.
    Throttle body DTCs , ile have to plug back into it. I turned the dtcs off in the table and it made no difference.
    Did you turn turbo logic off and it fixed it ?
    I decided to use the Turbo ECU on this one because the Territory i tuned with the stock ecu has different tables to the turbo ecu and i thought it would be easier but not so far lol
    Last edited by mattmonaro; 10-29-2017 at 07:24 AM.

Tuner
    I can't say for sure how I fixed it but I also got throttle body codes and engine rpm limiter reach. (or something like that)
    It would log this fault just warming up & idling in the driveway.

My engine didn't like all the turbo IDLE maps. I cut/pasted everything from turbo file into NA file.
    It preferred the NA idle settings which is weird.
    I tried BA Mk I turbo maps, Mk 2, and then F6 maps and it still revved way too high when cold.
    I ended up with my original NA idle settings except I set Park & Gear rpm to 700rpm.
    I will put a copy of my file in the repository if you want to compare settings.
    I also changed the RPM limit launch to 5000rpm.
    I also sometimes got a fault code for IAC steps not as expected (or something like that) so I kept all the IDLE AIRFLOW DRIVE, Mult, P/N Mult the same as NA.

I changed my map sensor to 2bar xr6t turbo. I just cut & soldered the connector in my harness. Fitted 4 bar regulator into my fuel rail, kept the original NA injectors. Works fine. The standard fuel pump ran out of flow though. It was 84litres per hour. Ive now got a walbro 255 fitted.

Advanced Tuner
    Maybe something manifold related? The N/A has variable IMRC, the turbos had them taken out.
    Ford BF Turbo Ute,Stock head/cams, In house built bottom end,Atomic Springs, Forged Rods,Cosworth Pistons,Atomic Billet oil pump gears,ARP Head/mainstuds,Process West Stage 3 Cooler Kit- Plazmaman plenum,Precision Int.Gate 6466,Manta twin 3" exhaust,ID1000s Plazmaman surge with Holley 12-1800 pump, Home Built ZF6H26, On United Pump E85 499rwkw 10.5@135mph https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgZupPhrMss
    Latest mods, FG intake manifold conversion and ID1300s-500rwkw, Yet to see the 1/4Mile

Advanced Tuner
    its usually the throttle tables, sometimes they just dont like being put in another car or even when used stand alone in a conversion.
    have you tried changing the throttle tables to the ones from NA ecu.
    you shouldnt have to alter the idle settings at all from factory turbo.
    the only other thing i've found was when i tried using a specific BA strategy/os in a mates ba fairmont, no matter which pedal settings i put in from 3 or 4 different tunes, none would work.
    i changed to a different os and it worked fine.
    when you do change the pedal settings though, its always best to change the whole set of tables together, will just cause more dramas if you only change one or two tables.

you can try and trick it by tapping the throttle a couple of times quickly as soon as the car starts - just some tb movement. this usually works in the cases that the throttle settings werent compatible and changing them to another set works. with the os that didnt work that trick wouldnt do a thing.

Advanced Tuner
    howd you go with this?

Potential Tuner
    I fitted the Ba turbo gear to my Na Ba engine and had the ECU flashed to turbo - with turbo logic off.

At first it would not fire, because i had not received my turbo MAP and still had the NA one connected.
    If i left the MAP unplugged the car would run fine, i assume in limp mode....was only bleeding cooling systems / checking leaks etc.

After wiring up the new BA turbo MAP correctly the car fired up fine.