Thread: GPS time in export

Potential Tuner

GPS time in export

Hi,

Would it be possible to have an option to have the GPS time logged rather than the elapsed time in a session? Or if this is not possible, have the GPS start time of the recording put into the header information?

I know that the files when exported have the date/time stamp on them, but having the exact GPS time would make syncing up in RaceRender that much easier. I have tend to have 3 video sources and two data sources and having the same time stamp across all of them would be sooooo nice.

John

There's a bit of a complication in logging the raw GPS time itself, being that the GPS samples we get will have a variable amount of latency in them (due to Bluetooth and the GPS itself). That's a solvable problem, but would take more careful planning and testing. What we can do very easily is to add a data channel with the device's UTC time. Most iOS/Android devices are set to automatic time updates, so they're pretty accurate to each other. That should be able to get you within a second.

This will be in the next app update (version 3.6.5 or later) and new sessions recorded with it will include a "UTC Time" data channel. It will be logged as an epoch time (number of seconds since 1970), which RaceRender's "Timer - Hours" object can format as a clock time (UTC) if you wish. That should be a cleaner option than you having to look at the timestamp on the file name and then manually add the relative session times to it.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks Weston, look forward to the update and see what works best for me. Having a couple of options will hopefully make syncing a bit easier.