Thread: NEW 99+ PCM in 98 vette

Potential Tuner

NEW 99+ PCM in 98 vette

Hi,
    I have a brand new 99+ PCM that I want to install in my 98 C5.
    No OS installed yet. Old PCM is working and licensed.
    Rewiring isn't an issue, but how can I make this work with my 98 using HPT?
    Thanks!

To do this the C1 & C2 of the pcm connectors would have to be completely repined 97-98 was wired differently than 99+ might be easier to locate a 99+ engine harness an replace it as a whole. other than that the 99+ would then just plug an play.

Potential Tuner
    As stated I know how to install the pcm.
    Question is if and how I can make a brand new 99+ pcm work in my 98 using HPT.

A lot of new pcm from gm or parts store does not have a IOS installed or the correct one installed. If this is the situation it would require a gm calibration to be in it to be able to flash it with the corvette calibrations if its not on the vette calibrations already. Might easier to have the pcm flashed by a tech 2 to 99+ vette calibrations an start from there.

Just get a stock tune file for the new PCM from a 99 Corvette, then tune as usual.
    If the New PCM has a generic flash (most likely it does) then you need to use 4 credits to flash it. Open the stock 99 file, write entire and that's it.
    Then copy your current tune parameters to the new file using the compare tool. You won't be able to directly flash the new PCM with your old 98 file or use any conversion method. It's a completely manual procedure.
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Quote Originally Posted by Montecarlodrag View Post
    Just get a stock tune file for the new PCM from a 99 Corvette, then tune as usual.
    If the New PCM has a generic flash (most likely it does) then you need to use 4 credits to flash it. Open the stock 99 file, write entire and that's it.
    Then copy your current tune parameters to the new file using the compare tool. You won't be able to directly flash the new PCM with your old 98 file or use any conversion method. It's a completely manual procedure.

Issue I've had in a past like this is for some reason when it has a generic file its becomes a specific file like a GM Crate Engine PCM requiring credits to do anything to it. You had one do anything like that

If the PCM has the VCM ID erased, it will show yyyyyyyyyyy
    If that's the case, you need a year/model license to write it. It's cheaper to have it flashed with TIS at the dealership.
    Lately, all Gen3 refurbished PCMs I have flashed had a V6 Bravada calibration so it was easy to just overwrite.
    Last edited by Montecarlodrag; 10-31-2017 at 02:45 PM.
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Yea that's the issue I have ran into in the past with the yyyyyyy I've got one of those an even had a buddy flash it with a tech 2 with new vin an such an when I pull it still does the same thing.

Now that you say it, most of the times IDS will not change the VCM ID since it's GM traceability number. A write entire with HPT will overwrite it but you need a year/model license at least.
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Potential Tuner
    Guess I'll just follow your advice and get a used 2002 PCM.
    Seems to be al lot less trouble.