Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Updateding the Ford 6.0 Powerstroke tuning capabilities

Tuner in Training

Updateding the Ford 6.0 Powerstroke tuning capabilities

I just want to share my experiences so far with using HP tuners..... for tuning a 2005 F350 6.0 diesel 4x4 crew cab long bed. I have been tuning on gm platforms for a little bit so I familiar with the basics and what not.... I also work for Ford Motor company as a technician earning the title of Senior Master a few years back... I have been with Ford for almost 20 years....the last 10 years being in the Diesel side of it which I absolutely love. I owned my own diesel repair/performance shop for while also doing full repairs and any upgrades the customer wanted or ones I felt it needed to meet the expectations of what the customer wanted.... sorry I am rambling on... anyway..once the ability to custom tune powerstrokes was released... i started upgrading my own personal truck and finally blew the head gaskets (6.0) and went in and studded it and added some more goodies to it....and FINALLY was able to use hp to tune this thing i purchased the tuning school's beginners course for tuning ford diesel as i also like to have a reputable process to build my own process off of.
    The biggest thing i had to overcome was it was written for using the SCT advantage software.... so i had to find the similar tables between the two... so using that book... i was able to produce a mild tune. It for sure woke the truck up... but def had a lot of room for improvement. So as a ford technician using Fords equipment.. i was very happy that i could set up my scanner to monitor the same pids as i do in the ford equipment. Eric and his team did an outstanding job on this program. Now with the tuning...i have found some things that needed to be addressed and tables that needed to be added... but that is a part of the process. My whole point of this is that Eric Brooks has gone above and beyond my expectations in helping move the diesel program along...just in the last week we found lots of things that we needed. My F350 runs great... doesn't "roll a ton of coal" haha just initially it will then boost comes in and it cleans right up...... torque pids started at 500 or so foot pounds and now its knocking on the 900 mark... horsepower (estimated using the horsepower formula) came from 295 to now almost 600... now i know those numbers are far fetched to what i really produces but i was looking for the percentage of increase... in other words... with HP tuners.. you can make solid power now on the powerstrokes. i have bugged Eric through facebook and though the trouble ticket system and he has came through every time.... now we are working on finding a limiter for the MFDES bc mine stops at 100.. we should be able to go higher than that... its a work in progress and i am very confident that this program. Thank you HP and Eric for the job well done

I have attached one of my tunes... feel free to look it over and give some feedback
    i have also attached a datalog.... feel free to look it over as well
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner RandomEnthusiast's Avatar
    I've played with a few and had really good luck. Haven't got to really get into ficm stuff since I don't have a truck around for tuning anymore. I got amazing performance out of an 04 and 06 and an 03. The 04 was a basket case though. But it would light tires and had almost no smoke. Whooped an sct custom tune race tune truck that was a little bit lighter than the 04 but man that thing had torque out the yin yang. I didn't even play with boost settings as I've heard of popping intercoolers above 30 psi so 27 it was. The 06 was interesting. IT was down 1 cylinder on compression but it took it well. The 03 was oddball. It had underlying issues but still worked fine. I don't even know how to tune lots of smoke. Aside from big injectors. Good luck and have fun. They're fun trucks.

cool stuff. I am learning, but this diesel stuff is an entirely different animal. I appreciate all the feedback from people like you guys who are helping this forum out.

Tuner in Training
    there are a lot of tables that were added within the last week or so.... so make sure and get the updates... I am using the 3.7 beta version
    As far as the FICM tuning... that is the icing on the cake for HP. I don't think there is any other way to get a tuned FICM besides an atlas tune. If you have any idea on how an injector works and basic knowledge of the power flow of the combustion process.... you should be able to figure out the FICM tuning part. I have great luck so far and I still have a long way to go.... as long as my truck holds up.... ill keep providing feedback and keeping Eric busy!! hahahahahah

Advanced Tuner RandomEnthusiast's Avatar
    Hmm. I'll have to look into what tables were added. It's been a while since I was actively tuning these.

are you studded? or just pushing until you find the limit?

Nm, I read i read first post again..lol

Just did my first 6.0 tune on a 04 last week. Didn't have a chance to flash the ficm yet as I didn't know where the relay was and I was in a hurry so I skipped it for the time being, I am going to be spending more time on the truck/tune this week.

However I was quite impressed with the results I got so for. Also I added an exhaust brake to the tune and it works surprisingly well, I was very impressed with that.

Looking forward to spending more time on it, I have driven this particular truck a few times bone stock and was not impressed at all. Crappy low end power and just really noisy when you lay into it and still not very good power. First tune was a good step in the right direction though.

Tuner in Training
    Post up your tune if you don't mind I would be curious to see how you did the exhaust brake. Once the MFDES issue gets figured out.. we are going to see big power come from this tuning platform

V2.hpt

Here is the tune with the exhaust brake. Not much else has been touched, few limiters bumped up.

Tuner in Training
    Do me a favor BigCE...... log MFDES (mass fuel desired) for me and set your limiters above 100 mg...... see if it logs over 100..... do a WOT pull through 2 gears

Got a chance to mess with this 6L truck again today, wow am I impressed with the results. Flashed the FICM and also bumped up the low end fueling, made the pedal more linear. This truck has awesome power, I am very impressed. I'm not a ford fan at all and I really like the way this truck drives now.

I still have yet to really touch the timing, I would like to see if I can improve fuel economy.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    • File Type: hpt V4.hpt (218.9 KB, 350 views)

Tuner in Training
    Always great info from people on here I've been messing with my truck, stock head-gaskets and head bolts, I don't plan on pushing the limits of the engine. What I have so far has been great, only adjusted a few tables, didn't touch FICM since I used an older version to toggle EGR system off since I couldn't figure out how to do it in the current version, I would have to spend additional credits to mess with the FICM, I just don't think I need to as I am happy with what I have gotten out of the truck already. I will post my tune and also my Scanner layout for people to use as I spent way too much time getting everything sorted out to hord it to myself. ENJOY! 6.0 POWERSTROKE DASH.Gauges.xml6.0 after oil coolerTUNED.hpt6.0 POWERSROKE.Layout.xml
    "Negative GhostRider the pattern is full"

2006 Amarillo 6.0 PSD ccsb SuperDuty
    1987 IROC-Z Camaro--currently undergoing massive but slow build

Tuner in Training
    Right on guys! We are still trying to figure out the MFDES cap which caps at 100 MFDES. if you guys can... I see all you guys put your limiters to 150 please LOG MFDES mass fuel desired and volume fuel desired and post up the log

Tuner in Training
    Did some more logging on the 6.0 today. Nothing in the tune has been changed since I last posted my tune. MFDES still stops at 100 MG but added VOL FUEL to the log and it gets up to 125 MM3 on a wide open pull. I have updated my scanner layout to include VOL FUEL.

6.0 POWERSROKE.Layout.xml
    6.0 tuned vol fuel log.hpl

Tuner in Training
    yea I think the processing cant go over 100 MFDES and 125mm3 for volume.. you should really learn about FICM tuning.. it netted me almost .3 in the 1/8 just from messing with duration max I think it can handle stock injectors is 2400 keep that in mind I haven't messed with delay yet but the track is open this Friday again hahahaha

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostRider117 View Post
    Did some more logging on the 6.0 today. Nothing in the tune has been changed since I last posted my tune. MFDES still stops at 100 MG but added VOL FUEL to the log and it gets up to 125 MM3 on a wide open pull. I have updated my scanner layout to include VOL FUEL.

6.0 POWERSROKE.Layout.xml
    6.0 tuned vol fuel log.hpl
    Looking at the data I see there is a lot of power still left on the table good job on it though it looks like it runs clean
    timing still can come up.......duration can come up......same with the HPOP pressures that will also net more volume..but it wont show in the graph but you will see it in smoke output..... then clean up the smoke with boost

hey lsx tell me if im correct adding ms to inj pw makes power or do you subtract it say its at 1.250 now would it make power going to say 1.33 or to go down to 1.125 my assuming is that its like cam duration the more pw the longer its spraying fuel and as far as delay wouldn't shorting the delay be better for low end power

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by LSxSwap0613 View Post
    Looking at the data I see there is a lot of power still left on the table good job on it though it looks like it runs clean
    timing still can come up.......duration can come up......same with the HPOP pressures that will also net more volume..but it wont show in the graph but you will see it in smoke output..... then clean up the smoke with boost
    I'm sure there is alot more in it, but honestly I can't afford headgaskets right now, as the truck is the only thing I have left to drive right now. With what I have done with it already I am at the limits the stock 17 inch tires can take it wants to spin if you jump on it down low and pulls like its on rails when boost comes in, which it doesn't have hardly any spool lag, nothing compared to a factory flash, just as quickly as you jump on the throttle it hits 20 pounds and takes off. it pours smoke when you first jump on the throttle but cleans up almost instantly and has just a light haze of black noticeable off the stacks at wide open throttle. I'm not hunting max power, i'm a little afraid to push any harder or start messing with transmission stuff, I don't know how much a 195k mile long will take nor do I want to find out, I can't afford to fix major carnage right now. My fuel mileage on average is up .5 mpg from stock, I'm guessing due to it making better torque down low and not having to apply so much throttle to make it get up and go. Truck is a hell of a lot more fun to drive around. I might get brave enough to start messing around hot lock and the tow/haul shift schedule, maybe even add a touch more timing up in the higher RPM but I'm not sure I want to push any more when I'm happy with what I'm already getting from the old truck.

Potential Tuner

Beginner in tuning

Hello, I would like to look over your tune to see what I am missing on making more torque but seems that the attached file link is not working, thanks in advance.