Thread: E38 ECM Wont Idle After 2Bar OS

E38 ECM Wont Idle After 2Bar OS

I have a 2007 Silverado with E38 ECM. After switching to 2bar OS the car will not idle on it's own. I can throttle it to keep it running, but it will not idle on it's own. I have increased and lowered the Airflow Final Minimum table to no avail. While holding the throttle to get it to run the AFR's are decent. What am I missing?

402ci 9.8:1 Compression
    2.3L Whipple
    225/236 Cam
    Square Port Heads
    Boost Reference FPR
    850cc Injectors
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by 30thta436; 11-08-2017 at 04:28 PM.

Did you populate your 3 new VE tables?

They are blank when you make the upgrade.

The file is tuner locked so it can't be viewed.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Yes I populated them. I think I unlocked the file

Try ThisNo Tuner Lock.hpt

Tuning Addict
    Still locked, but did you put the correct map sensor settings back in after the os upgrade? It automatically changes that with the OS install...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

How long have you let it idle or drive it? In the last 2 days I flashed back and forth between 2 different Operating Systems (Write Entire) and each time my idle goes to hell, stalls if I try to move, etc. The first time idle came back to normal within 30min of driving, but when I flashed back to my normal OS, same thing happened but it's taking longer to return to normal... currently it tends to hang lower than normal but is getting better.

Never have that problem just writing entire with the same OS.

I guess my point is, dont make changes yet unless you've put some driving and idle time on it or you will be chasing your tail.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

This thing wont even idle sitting there.

I think this is an unlocked tune.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Have you tried settings the MAF fail high to 2hz and the low fail to 1hz, then settings the 3 MAF dtc's to MIL on first error. That way it reverts straight to speed density.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    ^ looks like you tried failing the maf but then left the dtc's so it won't fail, the computer is not understandingz.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Have you tried settings the MAF fail high to 2hz and the low fail to 1hz, then settings the 3 MAF dtc's to MIL on first error. That way it reverts straight to speed density.
    you need to change the timer on that failure as well... I used to get starts then stalls until MAF failed, change the timer to 0s and it went away. But nobody ever mentions the timer.

Test Engine Run Time = 1s stock, so it wont start the test until 1 full second of engine running, then Test Enable Delay is also 1s that that's 2 seconds it tries to use the MAF. If it's plugged in and calibrated usually you dont notice it, but if it's unplugged or not properly calibrated it causes problems. Best to set those to 0s or 0.1s I dont think it matters.
    Last edited by 10_SS; 11-09-2017 at 11:34 AM.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Changed MAF Fail High to 2, Low to 1 and changed the DTCs to set on first error. Same issue.

Quote Originally Posted by 10_SS View Post
    you need to change the timer on that failure as well... I used to get starts then stalls until MAF failed, change the timer to 0s and it went away. But nobody ever mentions the timer.
    I'm getting the MAF to fail. Check Engine light is on and that is my only DTC

Quote Originally Posted by 30thta436 View Post
    I'm getting the MAF to fail. Check Engine light is on and that is my only DTC
    I know your getting it to fail, 2 seconds after you start without it failed (usually the first time). So if your making changes and reset the DTC somehow, this 2 sec is a long time at startup especially if you unplug it or mess up calibration to make sure it's failed.
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Quote Originally Posted by 10_SS View Post
    I know your getting it to fail, 2 seconds after you start without it failed (usually the first time). So if your making changes and reset the DTC somehow, this 2 sec is a long time at startup especially if you unplug it or mess up calibration to make sure it's failed.
    ERT set to 0. No change

Would it be anything from my injector scaling? 1/2 Flow Rate, 1/2 IVT Terms, 2X Stoich? anything else I need to do?

Tuning Addict
    What map sensor do you have? Willing to bet it's probably wrong in the tune from the looks of it - from the log it looks like a fueling issue...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

2bar MAP. GM 12615136. The car measured boost with the MAF enabled.

MAP sensor offset should be 8.00---but that will not solve all of the problem
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    What map sensor do you have? Willing to bet it's probably wrong in the tune from the looks of it - from the log it looks like a fueling issue...
    Any suggestions on which direction to go?

Quote Originally Posted by Lakegoat View Post
    MAP sensor offset should be 8.00---but that will not solve all of the problem
    I'm open to any and all ideas. I have tried everything I know to do and it still won't idle on it's own.

Tuning Addict
    OK, just to get it running - I don't know why, but some do this for the first time or two going SD even with the timers set low... Put back into MAF mode - fire it up and let it get to temp / 0 out and correct your intake temp sensor biasing since it has been relocated to the blower - use ZL1 settings of 0 in main table and 1's in multiplier table / after it gets to temp - fail the MAF and see if it will now run - if not look at your min throttle allowances for failed MAF in idle airflow section... It should fire and idle then...

~Greg Huggins~

Potential Tuner
    Sorry to revive a dead thread... But was a solution to this ever found?

I too have a 07 Silverado with a e38 ecm. Though mine is just a cammed 4.8..

Issue Im having is failing the MAF.. by either pulling the wire... failing it in the tune... or a combination of the two.. will cause the ecm to completely ignore the idle tables. And i mean all of them. The min idle airflow, the desired idle speed, the max idle area, etc etc etc. No change you make to these tables will make any difference as they are being ignored. It will try to idle at 500 rpms using the actual base spark tables. NOT the idle spark table.

I actually confirmed this logging timing, then changing the values in the high and low octane tables... then logging the timing seeing the change i made in the main spark tables. Put the MAF back in play and all the idle tables come back online. Weird stuff.

So issue I have is i cant fail the maf and tune the VE table. Im not really sure where to go to from here.... so curious if this was resolved!