Thread: Reluctor Wheel Swap. 180 Out? See Pic of Scan.

Reluctor Wheel Swap. 180 Out? See Pic of Scan.

Hello, I changed to a 24x on my 2010 5.3 Engine. Before I started the swap I see a lot of posts about people putting it on backwards. I thought I had this all figured out by looking at pictures and even confirmed it was right by putting another engine at TDC and looking through the sensor opening and comparing what teeth are showing on both. (I THINK, THIS WAS OVER 9 MONTHS AGO). Finally got back in the garage to finish buttoning everything up and tried starting. It popped a couple times like it wanted to start and then it would kick back. I have done the A/C pin swap on the cam sensor and confirmed Power, Signal, and Ground are all on the right cam sensor pins. I was able to scan while cranking and I do get RPM, but only when the PCM adds timing for some reason. I logged "Crank Sensor Current Cyl" and the numbers are like 7,649 to 65,000?? So not sure what that even means. I though maybe it was a scaling issue.

So I took it another step and put it at TDC as best I could by looking through the spark plug hole and matching up the cam gear to where it just barely starts to cross the cam sensor. Checked what tooth the crank is showing in the sensor opening and its still very close to what it shows on another crank I have laying in the corner that would be 90* from the TDC dot on the crank. I know its not going to be completely accurate but I was more looking for to see if I had it on backwards because I know I had it lined up with the holes on the crank when I installed it. The only thing I can think of is that its upside down? Meaning its facing correctly just 180* out. But its hard to sell myself on that when I double and triple checked it. The only thing that has me concerned is that the picture I was checking the placement against was wrong because I didn't have the other crank or the engine I compared it to until after I already had it assembled?!

I just want to prove it is on wrong before I pull everything again.

Here is a screen shot of my scan while trying to start it. Please let me know if you see anything that tells you right away its on wrong.
    Capture.PNG

Thank you in advance!

My apologies for posting in the wrong thread by the way. I noticed it after I viewed it when posted.

Did you change the sensor to a 24x?
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Quote Originally Posted by Lakegoat View Post
    Did you change the sensor to a 24x?
    Yes, I have the BLACK crank sensor that was used in my other engine I pulled out.

You should to be able to tell from this pic if you have it on backward. Let me know if you need a pic from another angle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Quote Originally Posted by Lakegoat View Post
    You should to be able to tell from this pic if you have it on backward. Let me know if you need a pic from another angle.
    I wish I would have taken a picture just for a piece of mind. But I am about 99.999% sure I installed it just like the picture. I am about to buy a camera snake and see if I cant tell how its oriented on the crank. I would yank it engine back out but I am not convinced its on wrong until I can physically see.

I have had a reluctor wheel on backwards before. Only way i diagnosed it was put a scope on it and compare the cam and crank waveform.
    Heres what it should look like.CKP_CMP_waveform_relationship_001.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Eperformance View Post
    I have had a reluctor wheel on backwards before. Only way i diagnosed it was put a scope on it and compare the cam and crank waveform.
    That is good info. I will have to put a scope and see what I come up with. What would a crank relearn do? Say if its off a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Eperformance View Post

I am not an expert with the scope just yet. But this is all I could come up with for the time being. Will try to get more familiar with it to see if I cant get the resolution better.
    Plot5.PNG

Ok, I think I was right unfortunately..... I installed the wheel the right direction. Just 180* off. FML... I made sense of my scope with a little better resolution. See Pic.
    Cam & Crank Sensor Log.jpg

I wish I would have tried to start it before I bolted the dang torque arm back on. But hey I haven't put coolant in it yet so thats one step I don't have to do.

I realize I am actually only 45 degrees off. If I retarded the ignition timing -45 degrees in the tune do you think it will fire and run?