Thread: GPS accuracy with XGPS160

Potential Tuner

GPS accuracy with XGPS160

It appears that I have smoother GPS tracking with the internal iPhone GPS @ 1hz in RED than the XGPS160 @ 10hz in BLUE. The XGPS was mounted on the dash, right under the windshield. Any idea what might cause this erratic tracking?
    internal vs xgps160.jpg

Based on the reported GPS accuracy, I would bet that the XGPS160 was not successfully connected (or did not have a GPS fix) for that session... It's showing the accuracy as high as 10 meters (iPhones report this number when their GPS isn't quite optimal), with an average of 5.2 meters, so the rest was probably at 5.0 meters, which is the number that iPhones report when at best accuracy.

When using the XGPS160 (or XGPS150) and TrackAddict's Enhanced GPS option is turned on (which is the default on iOS), the reported accuracy can be as good as 2.5 meters, and that's the number you may most often see for it... This particular GPS doesn't always update it's accuracy reporting very much upon encountering signal quality or reception issues.

Potential Tuner
    Good info Weston! I apologize for not reading the sticky first, would have answered all my questions. My follow up question, have you guys seen lower Hz on iOS devices using external GPS compared to Android? My Dual ended up crapping out after a firmware update, so I got a Garmin GLO. iPhone 7 sees a 4hz max, while my nexus Android tablet sees 8hz! Kinda weird.

Yes, I see a consistent 4 Hz from the GLO on iOS as well, but up to 10 Hz on Android. On iOS, the GLO is reporting data via the normal iOS framework, as opposed to us having a direct connection like we do with the XGPS or when on Android. That usually seems to be limited to 1 Hz, so it's interesting that we get more for this device. Ultimately, what we get or don't get from it on iOS is outside of our control.