Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What 90 mm Throttle body for 2005 silverado?

Advanced Tuner

What 90 mm Throttle body for 2005 silverado?

Looking to do a Trailblazer SS intake on my sivlerado but Ill need a 90mm throttle body. Its an 2005 so it has the p59 pcm. I know the gold blades wont work for the 411, but will the gold blade 90mm work with the p59 or do I need a silver blade 90mm?

If it's an 05 it is gonna be a silver blade t.b. you want. GM didn't start using the gold blade until 2008 in the LS3 corvettes so it would be at least that or later for anything else as corvette always got the best gm could offer.

Advanced Tuner
    I guess my question is the p59 restricted to the silver blade like the 411 or can it use the gold blade?

Senior Tuner
    You currently can't just directly swap an 05 Silverado to a 90mm TB, you need to get an x-link conversion box, which plugs in between your TB and engine harness. The X-link is made to adapt either the silver or gold blade TB, you just need to specify which one you want to use when you buy it. In my case, I'm running a gold blade 90mm on mine because I already had it, so I bought the x-link for it.

That said, I'm working on trying to solve this to eliminate my x-link from my 05 Silverado, and when I find a solution that works, I'll share it with everyone. What I've found is the 2005 Silverado and 2005 CTS-V use the same OS, 12592618, but they have different segments, and use different TAC modules. The CTS-V is just a wiring change to run a silver blade 90mm. I'm going to play around to see if I can use a segment swap and wiring only to do this too, without losing cruise control, or if I also need to swap the TAC module, and again, if I can maintain cruise control.

Not sure when I'm going to start trying, but like I said, if I figure this out, I will share.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Advanced Tuner
    Thats great Mike! Although Im running a Avalanche OS for flex fuel. I saw that xlink is pretty expensive. I would get the gold blade as its cheaper. I did just read a few dynos were people only gained 3 or 4 horse with the NNBS/TBSS over the nbs intake.

We regularly convert 97-04 corvettes with 8 wires going to the t.b. to 2005-2007 silver blade t.b.'s. When we order new crate engines for swapping we must swap from gold to silver blade t.b. and as such we have a mess of brand new gold blade t.b.'s in a bin at the shop. I would love to explain the progression of gm's t.b. design and help you to understand your adapter harness better. Because we understand that is a money grab for the electrically/electronically challenged. gen 3 used 8 wires to the pcm. 2 for the motor and 6 for the tps. This was gm's first attempt at drive by wire and the requirement was redundancy. So there were 2 completely different tps circuits built into the tps sensor. 2 +5v ref, 2 sensor ground, and 2 signal wires. And they worked backwards from each other. one starts high and goes low, the other starts low and goes high. This is what that looks like in a schematic for your 2005 Silverado 6.0L..

And this is what that looks like in a 2004 corvette(because corvette was always ahead of everything else)..

The corvette had a 3 bolt t.b. with a 2 pin connector at the motor and a 6 pin connector at the tps. It was an early design to work with your controller. chevy redesigned the t.b and moved to a common connector but kept the same 8 pin setup to work with their gen 3 controllers. Now the silver blade t.b. are from when gm first switched to gen iv. In the corvettes this was from 2005-2007. And in these early years we had a redesign of the tb and while we dropped 2 pins the circuits really stayed the same. GM just dropped the redundant 5v power and grounds. So for this t.b. both signal wires are looking at the same 5v rev and gnd. It saved money on wires and kept redundancy. There was only one source in the controller for the 5v anyways. Here is a tb schematic for a 2007 corvette which is also a schematic for the silver blade 90mm tb..

So then what you guys are discussing paying hundreds of dollars for is the merger of two 5v and gnd wires into 1. This can be achieved 2 ways. 1 merge the 2 +5v and the 2 sensor gnd wires together. OR just use +5v and gnd from tps1 and tape off power and gnd for tps 2 in the harness. And then you will need to make changes to tb stuff in hptuners. like etc area scalar will need to be changed. and the good news here is you can always head over to the tune repository and find a stock tune from a 2005 to 2007 vette and find good values there. The Gold blade throttle body has potentiometers that work differently and it is not compatible with gen 3. For all of these conversions I have done I have yet to do a single segment swap. And for the record I have heard segment swaps can create problems. But I do not expect anybody to believe a thing I say so here it is from the tuning school:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0dF1RQhPo4

At about 1:50 in the instructor explains that segment swaps should be used as a last resort and why.
    Last edited by AutoWiz; 11-10-2017 at 06:14 PM.

Tuning Addict
    Good information... I always like seeing schematics - if you know your wires you can usually always figure it out...
    Last edited by GHuggins; 11-10-2017 at 06:24 PM.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoWiz View Post
    We regularly convert 97-04 corvettes with 8 wires going to the t.b. to 2005-2007 silver blade t.b.'s. When we order new crate engines for swapping we must swap from gold to silver blade t.b. and as such we have a mess of brand new gold blade t.b.'s in a bin at the shop. I would love to explain the progression of gm's t.b. design and help you to understand your adapter harness better. Because we understand that is a money grab for the electrically/electronically challenged. gen 3 used 8 wires to the pcm. 2 for the motor and 6 for the tps. This was gm's first attempt at drive by wire and the requirement was redundancy. So there were 2 completely different tps circuits built into the tps sensor. 2 +5v ref, 2 sensor ground, and 2 signal wires. And they worked backwards from each other. one starts high and goes low, the other starts low and goes high. This is what that looks like in a schematic for your 2005 Silverado 6.0L..

And this is what that looks like in a 2004 corvette(because corvette was always ahead of everything else)..

The corvette had a 3 bolt t.b. with a 2 pin connector at the motor and a 6 pin connector at the tps. It was an early design to work with your controller. chevy redesigned the t.b and moved to a common connector but kept the same 8 pin setup to work with their gen 3 controllers. Now the silver blade t.b. are from when gm first switched to gen iv. In the corvettes this was from 2005-2007. And in these early years we had a redesign of the tb and while we dropped 2 pins the circuits really stayed the same. GM just dropped the redundant 5v power and grounds. So for this t.b. both signal wires are looking at the same 5v rev and gnd. It saved money on wires and kept redundancy. There was only one source in the controller for the 5v anyways. Here is a tb schematic for a 2007 corvette which is also a schematic for the silver blade 90mm tb..

So then what you guys are discussing paying hundreds of dollars for is the merger of two 5v and gnd wires into 1. This can be achieved 2 ways. 1 merge the 2 +5v and the 2 sensor gnd wires together. OR just use +5v and gnd from tps1 and tape off power and gnd for tps 2 in the harness. And then you will need to make changes to tb stuff in hptuners. like etc area scalar will need to be changed. and the good news here is you can always head over to the tune repository and find a stock tune from a 2005 to 2007 vette and find good values there. The Gold blade throttle body has potentiometers that work differently and it is not compatible with gen 3. For all of these conversions I have done I have yet to do a single segment swap. And for the record I have heard segment swaps can create problems. But I do not expect anybody to believe a thing I say so here it is from the tuning school:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0dF1RQhPo4

At about 1:50 in the instructor explains that segment swaps should be used as a last resort and why.
    I've never seen all these wiring diagrams before, but this is awesome. I actually have a silver blade TB on the shelf too. I really want to clean up my harness and part of that means remove the X-link from my truck. You've just given me quite a bit more confidence that I can get that done now.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Senior Tuner
    Does this sound right or did I get the 5v and reference wires backwards?

2005 Silverado Pin A Yellow wire, connect to silver LS2 TB pin B.
    2005 Silverado Pin B Blk/Wht wire, connect to silver LS2 TB pin C.
    2005 Silverado Pin C Brown wire, connect to silver LS2 TB pin A.
    2005 Silverado Pin D Black wire, connect to silver LS2 TB pin C.
    2005 Silverado Pin E Lt Blu/Blk wire, connect to silver LS2 TB pin E.
    2005 Silverado Pin F Purple wire, connect to silver LS2 TB pin F.
    2005 Silverado Pin G Dark Green wire, connect to silver LS2 TB pin D.
    2005 Silverado Pin H Grey wire, connect to silver LS2 TB pin E.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Sorry to bring this back from the dead.

MikeOD, did you ever get this working? I am looking at doing this conversion on my P59 and want to avoid the xlink if possible.

Autowiz, when you list the option of taping off the unused TPS signal in the 6 wire TB, what do you need to turn off on the P59 ECM so that it doesn't freak out?

Senior Tuner
    I haven't done it yet. I want to, but I've been driving with the x-link and LS3 TB. I have an LS2 TB, and I intend to try to make it work without the x-link if I can find some time. I might get to it this weekend. I'll probably end up doing an adapter harness first, and then if it works I'll permanently modify the trucks original harness instead.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Tuner in Training
    Any update on this?

I've got an LS3 ready to go into my 2001 C5 Corvette.
    It's got a gold blade on it. Since LS2 TBs are sooooo expensive, I would love to make this gold blade work.
    I'm not opposed to buying the X-Link if it will for sure work. (What's needed in HPT to make it work?)
    I would rather just buy an adapter harness for $50 though and copy and paste some tuning in HPT if that's possible.

MikeOD, have you gotten anywhere with that?

Tuner in Training
    I know that this thread is a bit old but I'm having a similar problem. I have an '06 TBSS swap that I had to replace the ECM with one from an '06 Impala. The service codes are the same but there are two additional wires in the ECM going to the throttle body. The Impala has 8 pins and the TBSS has 6. How can I make this work? I'm not getting any throttle response.

Senior Tuner
    Sorry I never replied...I'm still running the X-Link as I haven't had time to try to change anything and it's been working fine...I do intend to, but with the way my life is I don't know when I'll be able to.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Having the same issue with the lq9

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
    Sorry I never replied...I'm still running the X-Link as I haven't had time to try to change anything and it's been working fine...I do intend to, but with the way my life is I don't know when I'll be able to.
    If you can and you haven't got rid of your ex link yet you should tear into the wiring a little box that's on there and take pictures of it and send it to me and I can figure out the bypass easier

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter's repair + View Post
    If you can and you haven't got rid of your ex link yet you should tear into the wiring a little box that's on there and take pictures of it and send it to me and I can figure out the bypass easier
    yea ive wondered shy nobody has doen that yet??
    caus eim looking for a 90 or lager TB for my 2004 p59 computer

Tuner in Training
    I know everyone keeps saying this, but I'm sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead. going to a pull-a-apart tomorrow to pick up what I need for a nnbs intake swap. If I can get the throttle, ill get the wiring because I want to see if this will all work. If it does, I'll post proof of something.
    wish me luck

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by natricjol View Post
    I know everyone keeps saying this, but I'm sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead. going to a pull-a-apart tomorrow to pick up what I need for a nnbs intake swap. If I can get the throttle, ill get the wiring because I want to see if this will all work. If it does, I'll post proof of something.
    wish me luck
    why doen we all chip in buy one wand take it apart...
    i think iknwo how to do this but if invilves a couple opamps(chips)
    the readoin why is the voltage on one pto goes high and low on the other
    so you cant just share wires(+5v signal wires) but for $15 in pars and a mall circuti boad it woudl be easy to do this.
    is split the signal to 5v high and 5 v low.. form one 5 v signal wire..
    easy peasy..
    now i go to some eletrial schem studying to do..\
    \btw my othehr hobby is audio and amplifioer and componenet design..
    im sure i cna get a group buy of parts cheap if soembody wants to do this

I've tried the op-amp circuit. This is the diagram I came up with after buying an X-Link and testing its operation with a multimeter. I was able to exactly replicate the TPS sensor voltage outputs from the X-Link with this circuit however when tested on the vehicle, I could only get the blade to move a few degrees and I would get TAC DTC codes. Not sure what makes the X-Link any different but from my tests it definitely uses an op-amp circuit.

Screenshot_2222.png
    2004 Tahoe 4.8L Vortech Blower 12psi TBSS Intake
    http://jlsys.co/

Tuner in Training
    that kinda what i had envisions but with buffer op amps and i 'll hav eto check the speed onthe 345
    need somentihgn with at least 3x the speed of the processor at open loop
    the 8 pin just has ouputs that reverse each other.. at 1.5-5k i dont have a 90mm to measure..
    porbably nee dsoem R value on output side.,,.