Thread: Need diagnosis help MAP P0108

Tuner in Training

Need diagnosis help MAP P0108

Lately my truck has been throwing a P0108 code, CEL and going into a limp mode. It only happens on the highway usually above 65mph...which is awesome when the motor goes to idle and makes no power. Turning it off and back on doesn't help, only pulling the power for 10 seconds will reset it and it will run fine until the next random occurrence. Today I was logging when the problem happened, you can see it drop like a rock at 11:44. I replaced the MAP sensor, I have 5.0v at the sensor. I'm using a PSI harness and I don't see any breaks in the wiring loom. At this point I'm thinking bad PCM?? Would appreciate any help!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

What's the part number on the MAP you are running and do the settings in the tune file correctly match that of the MAP that you are using?

Seems a bit odd that at partial throttle the MAP is going way over 95-100kpa.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    First one was 09359409, replacement was a cheap O'Reilly part. Both had the same symptoms. 1-Bar, no turbo...just a big snorkel. I didn't change any MAP settings, MAP linear 94.43, Offset is 10.34

Have you tried running your own wires down to the computer to bypass the pre-made harness you bought?
    Last edited by 5FDP; 11-10-2017 at 08:12 PM.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Might try that tomorrow. Seems like a programming or PCM issue since pulling the battery lug fixes it instantly. If it were harness it would take some movement or something to fix it. Is it possible that a quick harness ground in the MAP circuit would cause the motor to go into the limp mode and stay there even if the MAP data returns to normal? It looked like on the log the MAP stuck way high when I was idling, but when I pulled the battery it went right back to normal.

I'm just spit balling an idea seeing how the sensor has already been replaced and the settings should be correct for that sensor.

A computer issue is always a possibility but normally something I'd think about last.

Tuner in Training
    This isn't the PCM that came with the motor, I bought it so I could use this motor with a 6L80e. Was told I needed a later model PCM, so I don't have any history on this one. I was thinking about flashing the old PCM and see if it takes the newer software and runs. Can't seem to sell the thing anyway.

I had a similar problem with no DTC, but the car would die at random times. When it died, the MAP reading dropped so I changed the MAP sensor and tried retuning the idle air/spark and everything else. Finally, I untaped the harness from the map sensor back to the main harness and there was a splice with crimp connectors. I cut them out, soldered the wires and no more problems. I don't know if PSI uses crimp connectors, but might want to check. This drove me crazy for two years. The crimps looked good, but I guess not. I previously thought it was some crimp connectors from the throttle body and soldered them. This was a used harness that I bought when I went from 6 speed manual to 4l80. Good luck.
    I passed an 18 wheeler once and pulled back in front of him and the car went dead---bad problem.
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakegoat View Post
    I had a similar problem with no DTC, but the car would die at random times. When it died, the MAP reading dropped so I changed the MAP sensor and tried retuning the idle air/spark and everything else. Finally, I untaped the harness from the map sensor back to the main harness and there was a splice with crimp connectors. I cut them out, soldered the wires and no more problems. I don't know if PSI uses crimp connectors, but might want to check. This drove me crazy for two years. The crimps looked good, but I guess not. I previously thought it was some crimp connectors from the throttle body and soldered them. This was a used harness that I bought when I went from 6 speed manual to 4l80. Good luck.
    I passed an 18 wheeler once and pulled back in front of him and the car went dead---bad problem.
    Thanks, was hoping not to have to pull apart the whole harness, but I need to try something else. I can relate, the dead motor at 65mph is no fun.

Tuner in Training
    Been playing with this stupid thing all day and getting no where. I ohm'd out all three circuits for the MAP and they are fine. I played with sensor offset and range, no P0108 change. I see that the PCM is setting the code before the motor starts. I also tried a different 2009 PCM and there was no change.

Tuner in Training
    Here's the log from driving around today. Cruise kpa still seems high?17-11-16 15-06-30.hpl

Tuning Addict
    Resistance doesn't mean anything - what are actual voltages?
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner in Training
    Key On, Engine Off
    4.774 @ 103kpa

Idling
    1.443 @ 36 kpa

Tuner
    We've seen tons of issues with ordered harnesses. It's one of the main reasons we started making our own, with zero crimps from terminal on sensor to terminal at ecm. Run new wires, or pull apart that crappy corrugated plastic, and look. It goes back on easily enough.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsgarage View Post
    We've seen tons of issues with ordered harnesses. It's one of the main reasons we started making our own, with zero crimps from terminal on sensor to terminal at ecm. Run new wires, or pull apart that crappy corrugated plastic, and look. It goes back on easily enough.
    It's not the harness. I replaced the wiring from the connector to the PCM and the connector at the MAP. There is now no PSI wiring in the MAP circuit. It still has the same problems.

Potential Tuner

Same boat

Quote Originally Posted by afraptor22 View Post
    it's not the harness. I replaced the wiring from the connector to the pcm and the connector at the map. There is now no psi wiring in the map circuit. It still has the same problems.
    you ever get this figurted out i have a ls3 in a caprice doing the same thing and did all the same test.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubersauto View Post
    you ever get this figurted out i have a ls3 in a caprice doing the same thing and did all the same test.
    I don't remember how I got it fixed. I want to say I ended up replacing the computer and making sure the MAF and MAP matched the vehicle the computer came out of. I would get another LS3 computer and unlock it and see what it does.